Pro Wrestling Only

Shoots Review and Preview thread

BruiserBrody

Kevin Nash covers his recent domestic incident with his son, his adventures at the fertility clinic, doing drugs with the Kliq, the surprising reason he jumped to WCW, Hogan's racism, being an atheist, paydays, the future of the biz, growing up poor and much more....

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jim Cornette looks back at the Midnight Express/Horsemen feud that was aborted, the sale of JCP to Turner, being demoted by George Scott down the card, the dream feud that was wrecked by Dusty leaving, the wasted potential of the loaded roster Ric Flair assembled, Why Muta was doomed to fail, the Four Horsemen reunion that was spoiled by Turner's execs, Jim Herd disrespecting Terry Funk, Dr Death shooting on the Freebirds, why Steamboat bombed as World champ, how Shane Douglas got himself jobbed out and MUCH more!

Jim Cornette looks back at the Midnight Express/Horsemen feud that was aborted, the sale of JCP to Turner, being demoted by George Scott down the card, the dream feud that was wrecked by Dusty leaving, the wasted potential of the loaded roster Ric Flair assembled, Why Muta was doomed to fail, the Four Horsemen reunion that was spoiled by Turner's execs, Jim Herd disrespecting Terry Funk, Dr Death shooting on the Freebirds, why Steamboat bombed as World champ, how Shane Douglas got himself jobbed out and MUCH more!

That story alone is worth the price of the disc/download/stream/etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Tugboat covers his early days as an Olympic hopeful, being trained by one of the best cruiserweights in history, wacky Iron Sheik stories, backstage drama with the Road Warriors, Andre drinking tales, The Nasty Boys as ribbers and locker room enforcers, the Shockmaster mess, a big angle that was not to be and more!

The Powers of Pain shoot interview covers Barbarian's sumo background, drunken bar fights, how Baby Doll helped Warlord early in his career, working with the biggest names in wrestling in JCP and the WWF, the Ultimate Warrior sucking up to Andre, why a nearly naked Barbarian terrified the other guys, Haku bar fight stories, Mr Fuji ribs, drugs and much more!!

Jerry Lawler covers his childhood, transitioning a radio gig into a wrestling career, working for an outlaw fed, becoming the top dog in Memphis. the Gulas/Jarrett promotional split, thoughts on every major Memphis star, then a look into Memphis' surviving in the face of the 1984 wrestling war and into his WWF run. A compelling interview with The King!

I recently watched Back to the Territories - AWA with Greg Gagne. It was a pretty good interview, at least for 75 minutes. For the last half hour the bullshit meter was going through the roof with Gagne claiming responsibility for every big thing in North American wrestling between 1984 and 1997.

I recently watched Back to the Territories - AWA with Greg Gagne. It was a pretty good interview, at least for 75 minutes. For the last half hour the bullshit meter was going through the roof with Gagne claiming responsibility for every big thing in North American wrestling between 1984 and 1997.

OMG yes. Jim did a really good job at keeping Greg on track, but once Greg got going, there was no coming back.

Haven't seen that one yet but I did finally get a chance to watch the Gagne RF shoot. Aside from it being standard RF fare question-wise, it was ok.

Strange that Greg didn't remember the Team Challenge Series but I think that was more RF not knowing exactly what to call it when asking him about it, and it being near the end of the interview. Greg never actually was on a Team in that thing from my recollection--he had retired at that point--so with the writing on the wall him paying no attention to what was going on isn't out of the realm of possibility.

I did find it sad hearing Greg talking about Verne being too stubborn to sell out or quit when it was obvious that they could still get out with a little bit of savings, and hearing Greg talk about what it cost his family in terms of their savings trying to keep it going too. Greg was in a pretty damn tough spot there.

That Timeline with Kevin Nash is what youd expect from him. Pretty funny at times. Not exactly deep as far as insight goes, but never boring. You can easily filter through Nash's bullshit, and he comes off like a guy you'd want to have a beer with. Love his Sullivan's impersonation the day after WM XIV.

• 4 weeks later...

That Cornette/Davis shoot could be interesting.

Meanwhile, I always get a kick out of some 20some indy worker playing the "these young workers don't know how to tell any stories // I had to pay my dues unlike those newcomers" game. Classic.

Im curious to know who my fellow shoot interview enthusiasts like best as interviewees - who is most easy to listen to and who is most reliable in terms of the information they provide? I guess also who is the exact opposite?!

My personal favourites are:

Jim Cornette

Sean Waltman

Raven

Kevin Nash

I know Corny is always pretty damn honest and thge other three never (seemingly as far as I know) provided any massive BS moments. Although I am more than willing to be enlightened.

I've really gone off Jim Cornette as he's gone from Insightful Storytelling Historian to Rent-A-Rant with his typical targets. He's spent so long bagging on Russo ad nauseam that he's actually close to making Russo a blue eye in my eyes out of spite. Some of my favourite shoot interviewees have been out of left field. For example, I absolutely love John Nord's, and Kevin Kelly (commentator) is a great watch.

A couple I enjoyed "out of left field" were Luke Williams Guest Booker, where I found out just how instrumental he'd been booking throughout his career as I had no idea he'd been involved in that. And also Eric Embry's shoot where Steve Corino interviews him. Good insight on a lot of things, and I was a big fan of his run as World Class booker so specifically that part was of interest. The Nasty Boys are always a pretty good listen as well, kind of like Raven, where they were a part of enough territories right before they made it big to still have some really good stories from those experiences.

I enjoy Cornette every time I see something new from him.

...and almost anyone is listenable and enjoyable to me in the KC Timeline series, especially the 80's stuff. Little tidbits and inside stories from the time when your fandom was at it's peak is always fun.

I enjoy Cornette every time I see something new from him.

...and almost anyone is listenable and enjoyable to me in the KC Timeline series, especially the 80's stuff. Little tidbits and inside stories from the time when your fandom was at it's peak is always fun.

Yeah, even the bad ones have something interesting.