Pro Wrestling Only

Shoots Review and Preview thread

BruiserBrody

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was he sympathetic towards Nash?

Yeah, that would be a surprise. Then again, he's sponsored by KC and he's a friend of Sean, so. I thought it was pretty good and pretty funny, as often with Nash.

The Rock'n'Roll express timeline looks interesting to say the least, although I dread the "old jaded veteran talk" that killed some of those (Windham was pretty sad in that respect).

Never heard it speculated that Ricky Morton was the guy who was supposed to take the World Title from Flair but refused and that's how Ronnie Garvin wound up with it instead. Does that timeline match up? Did Garvin win the title around the time that Morton had his thing with Flair?

Never heard it speculated that Ricky Morton was the guy who was supposed to take the World Title from Flair but refused and that's how Ronnie Garvin wound up with it instead. Does that timeline match up? Did Garvin win the title around the time that Morton had his thing with Flair?

Timeline isn't even close. Garvin won the strap from Flair in September of '87. The Flair/Morton stuff was mid 1986, and it led to several Flair/Morton matches for the title during the 1986 Great American Bash tour. In fact, Garvin beat Flair for the title a few days before the Rock and Rolls lost the tag titles to Arn and Tully.

All bullshit aside, it's a good edition. Morton is still a very charismatic mofo, tells good stories, doesn't go into "bitter veteran" mode, although they do insist on the fact they were screwed over with paydays (they go pretty hard on Dusty). It's like a Rock'n'Roll Express match in that Ricky does most of the work, cuts the good promos and Robert chimes in from time to time. It's obvious when you hear him talk about work why Morton was such a great worker.

All bullshit aside, it's a good edition. Morton is still a very charismatic mofo, tells good stories, doesn't go into "bitter veteran" mode, although they do insist on the fact they were screwed over with paydays (they go pretty hard on Dusty). It's like a Rock'n'Roll Express match in that Ricky does most of the work, cuts the good promos and Robert chimes in from time to time. It's obvious when you hear him talk about work why Morton was such a great worker.

If nothing else they are very consistent on that in their shoot interviews. They always say in their shoots that Dusty was fucking with them because they were bigger draws than he was during that time period.

Totally off the top of my head here - but Nash, Waltman, Corny, Shane Douglas, and Honky Tonk's second take are the only YouShoots I really recall enjoying anyhow.

I might be missing some of the early ones, but yeah. I remember thinking they'd ALREADY jumped the shark way back when they booked like... DDP and Maria Kanellis in back-to-back editions.

Yeah, that Maria quote was hilarious, but then again, when some indy girl (see a few posts above) has the same attitude...

They're clearly running out of ideas with the Youshoot serie. That being said, this one sounds better than most recent ones with ex-WWE guys who didn't want to say anything bad about anyone.

Well, it isn't. The trailer is really well done, because the show is a complete bore. Swoggle looks like a guy you'd like to have a beer with, but honestly : no story, no dirt, no fun. Hell, the best jokes are from Sean himself, who looks bored out of his mind doing the Youshoot stuff, has been for a while. When he takes shots at his former ex-WWE-guys guests, that's pretty telling. And I guess Swoggle is doing Timeline 2007 (but then again, the 00's Timeline are all boring as hell). The Youshoot format only work when you have a real character and/or great storyteller.

Well, I still learned that Fit Finlay himself was responsible for the leprechaun gimmick, which is another dent in the "Fit Finlay, wrestling great" mythology.

Finlay figured out a way to get paid as an agent and as an active worker, keeping himself on TV into his mid 50s while making even more money due to additional merch sales from the children's leprechaun gimmick he came up with. Sounds pretty great to me.

Well, this one doesn't look like a very interesting edition...

Well, I was wrong. This is actually a very interesting look into the mind of a contemporary indie wrestler who hasn't been polluted by the WWE yet. Tons of sex stuff, obviously, but always in good spirit. It's kinda striking to see a pro-wrestler talk about being offended by a homophobic tirade and explaining his concept of intergender matches in today's wrestling world. Actually made me think about some stuff, including the way these guys view pro-wrestling. You can see the gap between this generation and the old-timers. I thought Ryan mostly came off very smart and likeable. The older Sean gets, the more snarky he gets too and his dry delivery gets even funnier (especially when he makes fun of former guests of his own shows).

• 4 weeks later...

A few thing from Glen Gilberti's Guest Booker. First, although I don't agree with his way of looking at things concerning Russo, he comes off like a genuine and likable guy, with a true love for old-school wrestling too. Second, he gives the straight story about the infamous "Disco booking ideas" that have been around, apparently to the highest of places if you believe his last (and pretty funny) story.

_Bill Ding, the evil architect, was a Terry Taylor idea, he says (like Hugh Morrus, as Taylor loves these kind of wordplay).

_The Alien Invasion was his, but obviously a joke, and a pretty funny one, especially for the idea of the Canadians being Martians, Mike Tenay being an honorary Canadians because of ove hockey so much, and where the whole thing leads in the end.

_And as far as The Invisible Man, it's actually a pretty funny comedy undercard idea and built in a pretty logical, conceivable way (without giving it away, it's all about heels making a gullible "simple minded" character believe that an Invisible Man is actually there)

Glen takes some credit for the Lance Storm booking in WCW, which would be the best thing under Russo's regime in WCW (as far as getting a guy over). It's odd that this guy never was hired in WWE in any capacity. I mean, they made fucking Simon Dean an agent. Nova, for fuck's sake. Gilberti milked a low undercard comedy gimmick for like 5 years, made it work way more than he had the right too, got over and delivered a few solid matches in the process. And his work in TNA, if you put aside the ill-advised push against AJ Styles and first weeks teaming with Sanders in awful angles, is totally to his credit too, with lot of good mic work again.

• 4 weeks later...

Nash's answer about Greg Gagne is glorious.

Levy's interview will probably will very interesting. He looks good for someone who should have been dead a long time ago. He doesn't for a guy who's basically only 12 years older than me. But hey, I love me some Raven and Sean will probably get the best out of him.

Oh yeah.

S : "Are you a genius ?"

R : "Probably more of an idiot considering the stupid choices that I've made."

S : "Do you have an IQ of 143 ?"

R : "Yes. … Probably not anymore though."

Maybe that's why I love Raven. I can relate. (not to the ability to get women naked though easily though, let's not be kidding. IQ a little bit lower too, although not that much)