Pro Wrestling Only

Terrible gimmick, great match

NintendoLogic

Fire Match is a gimmick with obvious limitations. Colon v. Ayala was as good a fire match as you could possibly have.

Coal Miner's Glove is a match that can present problems. Not sure it is innately inhibiting, but there are easy ways to badly botch it. Hennig v. Assassin had a really good one in Portland especially when you consider how short the pole they were using was.

Scaffold Match is usually dreaded. Greene/Jarrett is a good one as is Ware/Dundee (really good one). Chicky Starr v. Invader 3 is a great one.

Isn't a bullrope match basically a strap match / Russian chain match with a cowbell in the middle of the rope? There are loads of good matches with that stip.

I feel like any variant of the "on a pole" match (including the aforementioned Coal Miner's Glove) tends to feel anti-climactic. I can think of many examples of bad ones.

Bullrope is one of many "touch the four corners" matches. What you often see in those matches is some fun stuff, some violent spots, et. but an incomplete match because most guys aren't clever enough to come up with interesting ways to make the "touch the four corners" gimmick look good. I can think of plenty of matches like that with decent enough bodies and weak/boring finishes that don't fit the rest of the match. What is unique about Colon/Hansen is that they work with the gimmick to the point where it adds to the match.

There are others though: Sting/Vader most obviously, Piper/Valentine (pinfall finish?), Hansen/Luger (Starrcade 90, been a while, but wasn't bad), errr ... Austin vs. Savio Vega. Rock vs. HHH even?

I mean sure there are plenty of bad ones too, but I don't think it's awful as match gimmicks go and it can be done right on occasion. Guys like Wahoo and Ivan Koloff must have some good strap matches somewhere too.

What is inhibiting about Texas Death stip? LMS is basically extension of Texas Death stip and is probably the single gimmick match most likely to result in quality match.

The problem with Texas Death Matches for me has always been that the pinfalls come too easy.

What is inhibiting about Texas Death stip? LMS is basically extension of Texas Death stip and is probably the single gimmick match most likely to result in quality match.

The problem with Texas Death Matches for me has always been that the pinfalls come too easy.

Good point.

If someone scores the first pin at, say, the ten-minute mark, instead of the 2 minute mark, the match would proably fall into place so much easier.

I always take that as the wrestler not bothering to kick out because the match still continues after that and it isn't a loss. From a kayfabe point they're probably fully able to kick out.

I feel like any variant of the "on a pole" match (including the aforementioned Coal Miner's Glove) tends to feel anti-climactic. I can think of many examples of bad ones.

Tyson Kidd vs Yoshi Tatsu from NXT 2011 was a good pole match. Possibly the only one.

Jeff Jarrett v. Billy Joe Travis Guitar on a pole was really good

Has there ever been a great Battle Royal? (Rumbles aside.)

The AWA had some really fun ones in the early 80's. Everyone used to be in the ring for about 15 minutes before the first elimination happened. and you would get some spots during that time frame. I enjoyed most of them as whole matches.

I always take that as the wrestler not bothering to kick out because the match still continues after that and it isn't a loss. From a kayfabe point they're probably fully able to kick out.

I can get behind this but from the same kayfabe perspective, it's like a gimmick match where pinfalls don't count but the guys start covering each other later in the match anyways due to exhaustion/punishment. It's automatic, as is the kick-out attempt.

In theory, they wouldn't be able to stop themselves from kicking out, so it looks funny when they don't so early on. :)