Pro Wrestling Only

Can we just call Samoa Joe "that poor fucker" now?

Bix

I remember the talking point at the time being that an "entry level" WWE contract was peanuts compared to what those guys were making working all over the place at the time. I got the sense that Punk had the goal of being "THE BEST IN THE WORLD" and you have to go to WWE to be that, Bryan just loved traveling and wrestling and WWE would have signed him in a second but he was happy where he was, and Joe weighed his options, knew it would be an uphill climb in WWE for him, and he probably chose wisely tbh

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember the talking point at the time being that an "entry level" WWE contract was peanuts compared to what those guys were making working all over the place at the time. I got the sense that Punk had the goal of being "THE BEST IN THE WORLD" and you have to go to WWE to be that, Bryan just loved traveling and wrestling and WWE would have signed him in a second but he was happy where he was, and Joe weighed his options, knew it would be an uphill climb in WWE for him, and he probably chose wisely tbh

Depends how much stock you put in the "he was going to get the Umaga gimmick" argument. If that was on the cards for Joe, I'd say he made the wrong move, long term.

Depends how much stock you put in the "he was going to get the Umaga gimmick" argument. If that was on the cards for Joe, I'd say he made the wrong move, long term.

I don't, because he wouldn't have been able to pull that off. It would be like casting someone else in the Undertaker role. It wouldn't have worked.

Then again, Joe as an ill-fitting Umaga might've been better than anything that happened to him in TNA after the first good year or two.

I always thought the Umaga gimmick was actually a response to Joe. It's been a while, so my timeline may be off.

If Joe had signed with WWE, he would've gone to OVW. Not quite the same as the possibilities of returning to Japan on the horizon.

People's expectations were pretty low about how WWE would pan out for these guys. Career mid-carder would've been considered a huge victory by some.

The Three Muskateers of an era that barely exists.

You have to view the 2005 offer in the context which it was made. Back then just about everyone who had come from the indies of ROH had received minor pushes at best and usually ended up on Heat & Velocity. Looking back now with CM Punk, Bryan Danielson and Tyler Black doing so well it seems like Samoa Joe was dumb to turn them down. In 2006 when he was the star of TNA on a huge undefeated streak, being book well and having amazing matches? The consensus was he had done the right thing.

He probably just left it too late getting out, or maybe not if the money paid for him to be set for life. For an essentially unmemorable company who have barely a PPV or famous storyline of note in over ten years of operating, they sure paid out some cash.

Who had WWE signed by 2005 who were big names in ROH? I can think of London and Kendrick. Kazarian had a contract for like two months. Who else?

The three you mentioned, none of whom had got anywhere, seem to remember there being a couple more. WWE at the time had zero track record for pushing anyone small or anyone with unusual body shape, so nobody held much hope for anyone being given a major push. All the new stars were being made and pushed in house.

Was that when Brent Albright had a cup of coffee there?

I'm pretty sure he was still in OVW in 2005 feuding with Punk in long as matches before getting called up the next year. I can't remember the timeline of whether he was in ROH pre or post WWE.

Jamie Noble definitely returned from ROH around this time and so possibly did Jimmy Yang as well.

The perception at the time was that WWE was looking for undercard talent, and that the indies was one of the places they were open to looking. And that smaller talent was finally getting a look.

The allure and consistent paychecks from WWE, even as an undercard worker, was enough for some to sign. But I don't think there were any illusions about getting a big push.

Also, to note.. At that time, the high point of the business is not too far in the rear view. The idea of things getting hot again, and soon, didn't seem far fetched.

• 2 weeks later...