Pro Wrestling Only

Great Matches witha Tag Wrester in a Singles Match

Smack2k

Thought about this last night while falling asleep..

What are some of the best matches where a Tag wrestler before, who primarily works tags, is in a singles match? Not guys that joined tag teams once they were already really established as singles workers.

Some of my best that I can think of off the top of my head:

Bret vs. Steamboat in '86 - Maple Leaf Gardens was great

Shawn vs. Perfect in '91 - WM VII Stars and Stripes Forever

Shawn vs. Flair in '91 - On Invasion 92 and really happens days before they break up

What else?

I always dig when two teams are feuding and split off into singles against each other for a night. Bulldogs-Foundation comes to mind, with Bret and Dynamite having that show-stealer at the Capp Centre. I know the feud and Dynamite in general have fallen out of favor among these ranks, but its still gold to me.

The Flair-Morton Cage Match from '86 seems pretty obvious, too.

I always dig when two teams are feuding and split off into singles against each other for a night. Bulldogs-Foundation comes to mind, with Bret and Dynamite having that show-stealer at the Capp Centre. I know the feud and Dynamite in general have fallen out of favor among these ranks, but its still gold to me.

The Flair-Morton Cage Match from '86 seems pretty obvious, too.

The issue with those Hart split ups was that the Neidhart singles matches were usually terrible.

There's a good Bret-Brunzell match from Maple Leaf Gardens in '86.

You cant really go wrong with Bret. '86 Steamboat, '87 Savage, '89 Perfect, '89 DiBiase, '89 Martel and those are just the ones I would rate as great. Bret is so much better as a singles wrestler. I don't get why his tag matches came off as so cold and mechanical.

Flair/Eaton from 01/90 is so freakin' good. Makes me so disappointed in the '91 match, but different dynamics. Eaton was better as a heel.

Shawn's big three singles matches are weird (DiBiase, Perfect, Flair). He has clearly progressed as worker as time goes on, but the matches themselves get worse and worse.

Valentine/Davey Boy MSG '86 is pretty good also.

Bret vs. Steamboat in '86 - Maple Leaf Gardens was great

psst....Boston Garden, not Toronto

Uhhh.....yeah, I knew that, yeah sure I did...was just testing you KHawk...yeah, that's it....I didnt mess that up..no sir, not indeed....lol.

Thanks for the correction!!

RICK MARTEL vs. TAMA!!! MSG 7/87 :D

Yes...this whole series I have become a HUGE fan of since your write-ups...I dug through my stuff and found most of it....great stuff.....horribly underrated and not talked about feud.

Martel-Tama and Bret-Steamboat are two of my favourite matches.

Barry Windham vs. Bobby Fulton from 89.

What show is this on?

I thought Barry Windham vs. Bobby Fulton was from NWA TV 12/3/88. It's on one of Will's Barry comps.

It was 88 . I had a brain freeze.

Thanks...hunting this one down in my stuff today!

Tell me what you think after you watch it. I had it as a 3 1/2 * match. I haven't seen a whole lot of talk about it. It's like one of those Windham specials he had with Regal, and Scorpio where he makes the lesser positioned wrestler look like a star.