Pro Wrestling Only

Hell In a Cell

Dylan Waco

The problem is the current model does not allow them to let anyone grow into a top slot. Even with better booking, I think it's nearly impossible because of how they run their tv and how they react to business trends. This is one of the problems that comes with being a publicly traded company. What's funny is that if they reacted the way they react now back then, there never would have been a Steve Austin.

absolutely dead on

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Nell Santucci

The problem is the current model does not allow them to let anyone grow into a top slot. Even with better booking, I think it's nearly impossible because of how they run their tv and how they react to business trends. This is one of the problems that comes with being a publicly traded company. What's funny is that if they reacted the way they react now back then, there never would have been a Steve Austin.

True, but the cause imo was the Monday Night Wars. Just no one noticed WWE doing this since things were so hot, but it was just as guilty as WCW.

That doesn't have to do with being a publicly traded company, though. You book correctly, get people interested in the product, they're going to be buying the product whether it's a guy Daniel Bryan's size or a guy Great Khali's size or a guy John Cena's size on top. Using that logic, if there are that many people interested in Daniel Bryan, wouldn't it be beneficial to have him as someone who's constantly protected?

If you don't have Bryan beat a guy like Triple H then the whole 3 or 4 months of booking based on Bryan being a "B+ star" and a guy not deserving of a main event just the dumbest booking ever. Now it wouldn't surprise me if they did just book the last 3 or 4 months to make the McMahons happy but still dumb.

The problem Bryan had is he got over big time, but it didn't translate at the box office. To the WWE brass the only way a guy is really over is if he can draw and draw against anyone. This is why the smart money nowadays is in being a part timer who only works big shows, because you can delude the fools running the company into believing you have vastly more value than you actually have.

The idea of building on a guy being over, by developing him slowly and smartly over the span of several months and protecting him with booking is a thing of the past. That's why this whole hilarious lie about this feud being a "slow burn!" was so transparently moronic from the start.

The stuff with Shawn and HHH setting up the ref bump was really bad and awkward. You'd think with all the times they've done matches and angles like that they'd come up with something more believable and compelling.

I expected Orton to win via Shawn shenanigans so whatever. Match was pretty good up until the end sequence, very physical. Bryan finally dropping HHH got a big pop, so that's something at least. I actually didn't hate that followed by the superkick, at least it made sense. But the setup getting to that point the last few minutes really dragged the match down.

Rest of the show was hit and miss. Opening triple threat was great and I love all 3 teams. I'm a big fan of Del Rio in the ring and pretty burned out on Cena....but that match was good for what it was. All this time building up Del Rio as this aggressive, dangerous heel champ after the failed face turn and it seems counterproductive to have him lose in typical dominant John Cena fashion.

Punk-Heyman angle got really stale really fast and I hope that was the blowoff. Match was better than I expected it to be, an improvement on their Cell match last year for sure, but I didn't love it. Even when Ryback puts in a good performance the crowd just doesn't seem that into him, or buy him at Punk's level. And to me those two just don't have great chemistry in the ring, all their matches have been disappointing in some shape, though this was the best of the bunch.

I enjoyed Ambrose-Big E quite a bit and I liked the finish. They've been doing a good job using Big E lately.

Matadores-Real Americans was perfectly acceptable. Not really PPV caliber, but it was fine.

the Fandango-Khali match had no business being on PPV.

Kane's return was wholly underwhelming, complete with the beyond awkward "brawling" between him and Harper and Kane not being able to lift him up for whatever he was going for there

If popping the numbers means the most, WWE needs to go to a seasonal type presentation where they do callbacks every three months to have their biggest stars from the past show up to pop numbers.

The numbers being what they are, it's WWE brass putting it on Bryan because it's his first run on top and him not moving the needle as much as they need instead of them looking across at the other guy and realizing he hasn't drawn a dime in years. If anything, the numbers have shown that Bryan can draw more than Orton can.

Trips saw the Summerslam 2012 numbers with him and Brock on top and thought that because he was there that he was the draw. He obviously knew that Brock was a draw, but because of that logic, he's thinking that Trips + HHH = buys. It did 60k more than Cena/Punk on top, and even after Punk won, he had to throw Nash into the mix.

You have to let the kids swim without the parents at some point. The more they hang on in the short term, the more it hurts long term. Even Cena's drawing power is going away in a lot of ways. Then again, if WWE's plan is to have the brand draw more than any one individual performer (which is something I think they're actually trying to do akin to the NFL) then it's gonna get a lot worse before it gets better.

Hey I'm not defending the booking I'm just explaining what I think their thought process is. Punk now gets his chance to go against "The Authority" which is what he does best and he's been so involved with Heyman that he has been absent from the whole storyline so now he gets his shot. Bryan is a fantastic worker but Punk can deliver the promos that he can't plus he has a cache with the top guys and is a made man which Bryan was/is on the verge of but we will see where he goes now.

Regarding the streak......Taker/Lesnar is on the books for Mania right now so we'll see how that goes.

At least there is a good wrestling brand this year under the WWE umbrella, albeit one you can only watch on Hulu

Does Dusty book NXT or is it the Junior version of the normal WWE writers?

I do sort of hope we get the Bryan/Punk Mega-Powers I wanted last year after Mania.

Biggest positive coming out of this show is I think there is at least a decent chance that the Rhodes boys get to run the gauntlet against the WWE tag teams that make t.v. It's a shame the company is so intent on pushing Los Matadores, because the Real Americans would make tremendous opponents for them. Still, I am at least happy at the prospect of them working some of the regular teams on the roster for the next couple of months

Guest Nell Santucci

I think the ratings problems as well as house show attendances have spooked them about DB. He is getting great heat yeah but it's not moving the meter business wise. If you noticed in the WON there was a blurb about the philosophy about bringing in bigger guys is back in vogue again so take that for what it's worth.

That's obvious but a fact the IWC don't care to admit to. WWE has always done its worst business with smaller guys on top. It's a relic of 80's culture. Some guy on WC flipped out when I claimed this, even after justification. I've talked to way too many casuals who see Punk and Bryan as inferiors due to size, especially Punk. It's not WWE's fault imo that as a business it gives the public what it wants.

This guy disagrees...

Posted Image

Exceptions can be found, but notice WWE business has always taken a dive after drug testing. Sid is another monster who didn't draw. But having bulging muscles seems to be a necessary condition to main event because fans expect it. This discussion deserves its own thread, but it's not a coincidence that Hennig was Hogan's worst drawing opponent who wasn't seen as a big guy. Nash was big but wasn't perceived as a bodybuilder. Cena isn't massive but is seen on Hogan's plane. Hart and Michaels were some of the worst draws in company history. But it's inescapable fact that people are impressed by massive bodies.

Flair is the greatest exception to my hypothesis imo, but one could argue his getting over in the South before expansion had a carry-over effect but that he would not have been an exceptional ratings draw without his devoted fans of the South.

Just a hypothesis, but it's the most common complaint I hear leveled against Punk in particular by casuals. With Bryan, causals see him as one-dimensional with a lame catch phrase. I try to sell them on Bryan, but no one cares about working ability but by first impressions.

Is there anything in wrestling more awful than a 2013 Shawn Michaels entrance?

2013 Stephanie Mcmahon promo and 2013 Ryback non squash.

In the Raws I watched in the last month, Stephanie is one of like *maybe* 3 or 4 people in the company that can actually cut a promo that isn't laugh out loud awful.

At least there is a good wrestling brand this year under the WWE umbrella, albeit one you can only watch on Hulu

Does Dusty book NXT or is it the Junior version of the normal WWE writers?

I do sort of hope we get the Bryan/Punk Mega-Powers I wanted last year after Mania.

Dusty is just a character (or was) on NXT.

So with all of this shit, the real question becomes......

Who wins the Royal Rumble?

Smart booking would be for Bryan to get no more matches with Orton, be forced to win the Rumble from #1, and then finally get his huge win at Wrestlemania.

But we all know smart booking isn't the forte of WWE Creative.

So, who else can it be?