Pro Wrestling Only

Hell In a Cell

Dylan Waco

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So with all of this shit, the real question becomes......

Who wins the Royal Rumble?

Smart booking would be for Bryan to get no more matches with Orton, be forced to win the Rumble from #1, and then finally get his huge win at Wrestlemania.

But we all know smart booking isn't the forte of WWE Creative.

So, who else can it be?

The first guy I thought of was Big E but it's too early for him.

I think it's Punk.

Guest Nell Santucci

Sheamus is due back at Rumble which I see him possibly winning

God, let's hope not. Just another bland character in this cesspool of main event talent. He's a good and at times excellent worker but he has no more business holding the belt than Del Rio.

I wish I had access to a computer for pics comparing Savage and Bret. Savage had easily 20 pounds on Hart in their drawing primes. I'll test the hypothesis by the end of the week. Maybe Chris can help with stats. Put it this way. Sans roids, where would most guys have gone who made it big? Warrior, Hogan, Savage, Rude, countless others. Now, I'm not advocating non-prohibition of roids as much as people pay to see an over the top product with juiced bodies. One interesting example is Benoit. He got over as a wrestling machine, but all non-committed casuals I've spoken to mentioned that he was built like a tank, not his wrestling style. Obviously Benoit needed to be a work horse to make it in his era, but without a bulging body, casuals would never have noticed him anymore than Dean Malenko.

Yeah, WWE is really going to be better when HHH has full control since he's a "wrestling guy". Where did all of the people who loved to throw out that line go?

This angle just like the Punk angle two years ago has just proven that will not happen. Ever. I'm at peace with it.

We haven't really seen any evidence that he has a clue how to get someone over. Ultimately, his number one priority seems to be booking WWE as a vanity project to himself where he can shoot on everyone who came along after him as someone that no one cares about. I think we can expect a lot more of that for a long time, so hang on tight!

Guest Nell Santucci

Yeah, WWE is really going to be better when HHH has full control since he's a "wrestling guy". Where did all of the people who loved to throw out that line go?

This angle just like the Punk angle two years ago has just proven that will not happen. Ever. I'm at peace with it.

We haven't really seen any evidence that he has a clue how to get someone over. Ultimately, his number one priority seems to be booking WWE as a vanity project to himself where he can shoot on everyone who came along after him as someone that no one cares about. I think we can expect a lot more of that for a long time, so hang on tight!

If true, and I suspect it is, then the company deserves to go under. Just as WCW deserved it, as shown indirectly by El-P.

The problem with modern wrestling is the lack of any educational institution within the system that can cultivate great thinkers. That idiots like Dixie Carter hired quacks like Vince Russo is telling in itself. That WWE doesn't learn from the past despite its infinite resources speaks for itself. And I say this not because Bryan wasn't their chosen one as much as their top guys all suck for a myriad of reasons. Punk and Bryan are fine butneneither are compelling compared to talent from 2003. I don't even think Punk is better than Jericho, and Jericho suffered from his tired catch phrases and 20 minute promos. Bryan won't ever be seen as a huge star by casuals. Orton, Sheamus, and Del Rio are one-dimensional shitbirds. And at least 60% of these problems come from insular, ivory tower idiots in CT and a lack of education on how to book and build.

Guest Nell Santucci

I haven't cared about angles and all that nonsense in at least two years. College has done me wrong in that department. I just want to catch the latest Goldust match.

No offense, and I think he's awesome too, but that people look forward most to Dustin Rhodes today is quit telling for how far away WWE is from their optimal efficiency line.

I wish I could compartmentalize what I watch like that, but I can't.

I've been able to do that for awhile now. The "whole picture" thing sort of sailed away a long time ago for me. I watch current wrestling for good matches. Yeah, I watch Raw every week but I hardly pay attention. I flip channels too. It's football season, maybe a good game's on. Then, I see the Shield is coming up or Goldust or Bryan. I watch the match for the match itself. The angle? Pffftt. I could give a shit. And yeah a lot of that probably has to do with WWE fucking things up for quite some time.

I wish I could compartmentalize what I watch like that, but I can't.

I've been able to do that for awhile now. The "whole picture" thing sort of sailed away a long time ago for me. I watch current wrestling for good matches. Yeah, I watch Raw every week but I hardly pay attention. I flip channels too. It's football season, maybe a good game's on. Then, I see the Shield is coming up or Goldust or Bryan. I watch the match for the match itself. The angle? Pffftt. I could give a shit. And yeah a lot of that probably has to do with WWE fucking things up for quite some time.

Pretty much all of this....if you are watching current wrestling for great storytelling then you will be disappointed most of the time because while there are some hot angles that happens it's not the same thing as it used to be. It's come to a point these days where WWE focuses so much on Mania season that the rest of the year lacks in excitement.

The stuff with Shawn and HHH setting up the ref bump was really bad and awkward. You'd think with all the times they've done matches and angles like that they'd come up with something more believable and compelling.

I expected Orton to win via Shawn shenanigans so whatever. Match was pretty good up until the end sequence, very physical. Bryan finally dropping HHH got a big pop, so that's something at least. I actually didn't hate that followed by the superkick, at least it made sense. But the setup getting to that point the last few minutes really dragged the match down.

Rest of the show was hit and miss. Opening triple threat was great and I love all 3 teams. I'm a big fan of Del Rio in the ring and pretty burned out on Cena....but that match was good for what it was. All this time building up Del Rio as this aggressive, dangerous heel champ after the failed face turn and it seems counterproductive to have him lose in typical dominant John Cena fashion.

Punk-Heyman angle got really stale really fast and I hope that was the blowoff. Match was better than I expected it to be, an improvement on their Cell match last year for sure, but I didn't love it. Even when Ryback puts in a good performance the crowd just doesn't seem that into him, or buy him at Punk's level. And to me those two just don't have great chemistry in the ring, all their matches have been disappointing in some shape, though this was the best of the bunch.

I enjoyed Ambrose-Big E quite a bit and I liked the finish. They've been doing a good job using Big E lately.

Matadores-Real Americans was perfectly acceptable. Not really PPV caliber, but it was fine.

the Fandango-Khali match had no business being on PPV.

Kane's return was wholly underwhelming, complete with the beyond awkward "brawling" between him and Harper and Kane not being able to lift him up for whatever he was going for there

These are very close to my thoughts as well. HHH whining outside the cage before the ref bump was easily the worst part of the main event. HBK "instinctively" super kicking Bryan was reminiscent of the HHH/Taker HiaC match that he reffed also. HBK didn't turn heel there either - and I expect him to play up how he begrudingly had to count the fall.

Still, letting those guys overshadow the full-time guys was pretty ugly.

Here are my thoughts from last night (real-time though as the show as going on):

http://placetobenation.com/hell-in-a-cell-2013-live-blog/

Ryback responding to people tweeting their HIAC hate to him

Ryback ‏@Ryback22 3m

Hey here is an idea. How about you guys find 3 things u enjoyed about HIAC and be happy. Being miserable sucks I get it ur fat, but just try

Shawn's been having fun on Twitter too, which makes me somewhat glad this doesn't seem to be a "conflicted Shawn" storyline, and may be a flat-out heel turn.

https://twitter.com/ShawnMichaels/with_replies

Fairly horrible show both in terms of booking and wrestling.

The opener was fantastic, one of the funnest matches all year, the faces were over, the heels played their roles perfectly, there were a load of cool spots that all worked in the context of the match. Exactly what an opener should be; fast paced, exciting, with people the fans care about.

Then we get Miz, The Wyatt Family, Kane, Fandango and Great Khali, and suddenly you wish there was a real time fast forward button. Completely boring, each and every one of them. Why not just give the bigger matches more time instead of this shit? Ambrose/Big E was a decent little match, considering they didn't have anything to work with.

Punk vs Ryback was absolutely horrible. Punk/Heyman has to be a lock for worst feud of the year, full of bad matches, long winded and interminably dull promos, embarrassing moments (the segment where Punk was tied to the ropes and Heyman was screaming 'I loved you' was a particular example of how misguided the writing has been). I fucking hope this was the payoff, bad as it was. Punk really needs to freshen up, he has been bad all year, and his character has got stale.

Matadores/Real Americans was just kind of there, as was Cena/Del Rio, but at least the belt is off ADR, and hopefully his role will be scaled back. Can't remember a thing about the divas match.

The main event was very poor. Bryan/Orton don't seem to have good chemistry at all, and the ending was predictable but still came across badly.

At this point it feels like they are working towards Cena vs Orton in a title unification match at WMXXX, with maybe HHH/Bryan and Taker/Lesnar on the undercard.

I think there's a lot of overreacting in this thread. So they've stretched out the Bryan chase for another month to the big November show, it's not a big deal. Probably not the right call to do another screwjob, but I think far too much is being read into this. We've heard nothing about WWE being down on Bryan, nothing about them being unhappy with business indicators. Ratings are better than they were during football season last year. I think everyone is freaking out over something that isn't happening. Like how everyone spent so much time worried about WWE burying Punk due to the ratings last fall, and Punk then getting PPV matches with Rock, Taker, and Lesnar.

Here's the bigger issue. HHH said Daniel Bryan is no different from Jericho or RVD, and then he lost, showing that we should really listen to what HHH says about wrestlers, because he's right. They love to have him bury guys, then book them in a way to prove that he was correct all along. Pretty ass backwards.

Here's the bigger issue. HHH said Daniel Bryan is no different from Jericho or RVD, and then he lost, showing that we should really listen to what HHH says about wrestlers, because he's right. They love to have him bury guys, then book them in a way to prove that he was correct all along. Pretty ass backwards.

I doubt fans who saw the show left thinking Daniel Bryan blew it. The booking sucked but it isn't as if he jobbed clean as a sheet. The special ref who is a certified legend superkicks him and Orton capitalized. With RVD and Jericho, they were booked repeatedly to lose clean. Big difference here...albeit for the moment. Who knows how it looks six months from now.

First, Bryan was supposed to go over at NOC. Then it was supposed to happen at Battleground. Then it was supposed to happen at HIAC. Now it's going to happen at Survivor Series. Or maybe the Rumble or even Mania. Is there a cutoff? Or are people going to insist that Bryan getting the last laugh is just around the corner in perpetuity?