Pro Wrestling Only

OUCH!! Which moves make you cringe when you see them?

ajsmith_7

Which offensive moves make you cringe when you see them delivered due to the sheer ferocity or impact of the manouevre?

Or a particular spot in a match when you just shuddered at the brutality?

I will give this more thought and put in some more answers later but the move I was watching when I got the idea for the thread was Samoa Joe's facewash, man that looks like it must fucking hurt!!

Hasegawa's rolling butterfly suplex, at least until she started turning them before impact thereby turning it into a side bump and giving the girls the breadth of their thighs to break their falls with. When she first started doing it it was 4/5 consecutive bumps straight on the lower back and that's just a fucking killer, especially considering, unlike the moonsault footstomp etc, it doesn't actually look that painful.

I could well be talking out of my ass but a diving headbutt doesn't seem like it actually has a lot of impact to the skull. Like missing a top rope splash basically.

Chris Benoit's fucked up brain disagrees. When did Harley Race adviced Benoit to stop doing it ? Around 2000 ? Later ?

I could well be talking out of my ass but a diving headbutt doesn't seem like it actually has a lot of impact to the skull. Like missing a top rope splash basically.

Chris Benoit's fucked up brain disagrees. When did Harley Race adviced Benoit to stop doing it ? Around 2000 ? Later ?

Yeah though didn't that have to do with more ACTUAL headbutts, chair shots, etc? That stuff will fuck you up because hard objects and smashing against your skull. It seems like the diving headbutt can be done to easily avoid hard impact with the head. Maybe I'm wrong. If it's that bad he shouldn't be doing it of course.

I've seen mixed results on Harley talking about the headbutt. I'm pretty certain he said it was a move that damaged his chest/back over the years. Whether or not he "regrets inventing it," I don't know.

Yeah though didn't that have to do with more ACTUAL headbutts, chair shots, etc? That stuff will fuck you up because hard objects and smashing against your skull. It seems like the diving headbutt can be done to easily avoid hard impact with the head. Maybe I'm wrong. If it's that bad he shouldn't be doing it of course.

I thought it was earlier than 2000, because wasn't he advising Dynamite to not do it too? Also wasn't Race's concern more about screwing your neck up than your head? You could put your hands out to protect your head. But there was no way guaranteed way of protecting your head against whiplash.

Hikari Fukuoka's moonsault footstomp. Utterly brutal.

Any double footstomp move makes me cringe since there doesn't really seem to be any way to minimize the impact.

It looks easier with a simple footstomp though. A tope rope move already gets much trickier. But with the added momentum of a a moonsault, forget it, there's just no way. I cringed every time Fukuoka hit a poor girl with this. Still the coolest finisher ever though : "I'll do a moonsault and land on your ribs you poor fucker."

Holy shit.

I guarantee you none of his bodyweight was in that knee when it hit; Dynamite's great kneedrop on Bret hurt his knee (that he landed on) far more than Bret's head. Fukuoka's footstomp looks far less painful than it looks (if that makes sense - especially in that clip and I'm forgetting any specific instance where it didn't). If that lands on a guy, flush on the chest where he can absorb the impact the best, it isn't really much at all. Generally, anything to the chest, the upper back, the bigger the area to absorb the shot, is fine, which is why whenever someone kicks someone off a snapmare vertical down the spine, rather than near-horizontally across the upper back, I wince - there's nothing there to take the shot.

And as I've said before on the headbutt, it's no different than a front-bump from height (flapjack etc), which are the easiest bumps to take because you can see exactly when the impact is and it's therefore much easier to time than a back bump. With the size of Benoit's chest, plus his arms under him, and then his head turned sideways, there's really nothing in it, even on someone the size of a Scott Norton you'd barely feel the impact of hitting the guy it's so slight (and unless you're doing it to a skeleton and hitting bone, or when there'd be a chair added in, far less risky than most top-rope finishes); Benoit's semi-regular superplex KO spot, for instance, did far more damage to his head/brain, infinitely so. And there's more risk of whiplash on the Dynamite version (not to mention knee damage) because you're ducking your head into the impact and then snapping it back.