Pro Wrestling Only

Best Promos

cm funk

This thread is going to be very dull if we just list standard guys who are mentioned time and again with no reasons given - PWO is better than that.

Jake Roberts

The Rock

Steve Austin

See, it's boring. At least say why. For example, Jake's promos in those feuds with DiBiase and Savage in WWF almost carried those storylines. They were dark and sort of complex for the time, and show him working at both his peak as a babyface (overness and character-wise) and as a heel in the space of 2 years. Some of the best promos ever during that run.

I'll throw out some more unusual names:

Bruno Sammartino - don't double take, his promos have been blow-away GREAT during the Larry feud of 1980, some of the best I've ever seen. Bruno is entirely at one with his character and it lends these promos great authenticity. But aside from that, his technique of starting quietly and then erupting in anger is very effective. Totally different style of promo from what most of us are used to, but I honestly think Bruno was one of the best promos ever.

Dick Murdoch - almost like a prototype Steve Austin in the way he ran his mouth, he was a terrific heel and was tremendous at coming up with spur-of-the-moment put downs and lines to rile the audience. Underrated on the mic in that his name isn't often mentioned in threads like this one.

Jim Cornette - we all know Cornette is a great promo, but I'm specifically saying here, Cornette AS A BABYFACE in that 89-90 MX run in NWA. He was amazing during that time cutting these awesome fired-up babyface promos on Heyman, consistently getting over the importance of the matches, his team and their opponents. He's great during that run.

Michael Hayes- The mouthpiece of one of the best feuds of all time.

The debut of the Freebirds in Ga

Here is the first part of the four flat tires angle......this guy has the whole angle uploaded. If you haven't seen it, you should check it out.

Austin Idol-Yeah he was lazy and not a great worker but he was great on the mic. His stuff in Ga is all time great. Four flat tires still might be the single most entertaining angle ever of the territory era. And Hayes was great in that also.

Not the four flat tires angle but still good stuff....

Idol after he was attacked at a gas staton by Ron Fuller and Jimmy Golden

Jim Cornette-His hilarious rapid fire attacks on Baby Doll, America's team of Rhodes and Magnum, the Rock and Roll Express, Jimmy Valiant, Rocky King and the street people and on David and Tony were required viewing.

Don Muraco-I know he is not well liked around these parts but I found his promos absolutely hilarious.

Here he is talking about Pat Patterson

Don Muraco was an excellent promo. I was first exposed to his work in 1981 WWF with The Grand Wizard as his manager, and I believe his first promo in the WWF is on YouTube, it's a "live" ringside interview with Vince and The Wizard after his debut match.

On his first RF shoot Muraco talks about being influenced by southern preachers like Ernest Angely and his biggest wrestling interview influence Curtis Iaukea. There's an excellent King Curtis interview on YouTube from Australia with Lord Athol Layton which you can almost hear Muraco in Curtis' voice. "Lord it must really be hard for you!"

Search for Muraco's interviews from San Francisco with Hank Renner which are also on YouTube....great stuff talking about Dean Ho and Roy Schire.

Mad Dog Vachon. Every promo he laid out made you think he had murder on his mind, even the funny ones later on.

He had the ability to change his facial expression slightly to go from standard scary promo guy to "Holy fuck he's going to kill that guy" in an instant, usually when walking off the set at the conclusion of the promo.

I've really developed a new appreciation for Mean Gene rewatching Superstars and Championship Wrestling. I used to think of him as a shallow hype guy but he really adds a ton to the promos he's involved in. He always makes the guys seem more interesting or feeds them talking points that make their promos better. And he has a way of humanizing the guys he's with.

I'd add Hawk to the list. One of my favorite things about the Roadies were Hawk's interviews. I'm not talking their WWF run with the " What a Rush" crap. More from their AWA and JCP days stuff where it seemed Hawk always something clever to say or some witty one liners.