Pro Wrestling Only

Board upgrade

Loss

We have the option to upgrade, which would make the interface very similar to DVDVR and should fix the majority of the tech issues we have had lately. From your experience, what are the positives and negatives of posting (and administrating - for DVDVR admins) on that software?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It turns out that we cannot fix our apostrophe issue without an upgrade. So the choices are either to deal with that or upgrade. I feel like it's necessary unfortunately, even though I too prefer the current interface. I'm not even sure how much longer Invision will support this version, which puts us at greater risk of losing everything and having no way to retrieve it.

I barely have used the new DVDVR board so I cannot comment about the good or the bad for it. Obviously being more familiar with the layout of this board I prefer it more. That said if cannot fix apostrophe error than an upgrade is probably necessary. For those of us who do a lot of copying and pasting it can be a challenge to use board. And from my understanding you cannot quote/reply direction to someone's post who has the apostrophe issue in first place.

Please let's make FIFTEEN backups before doing any of this.

I don't want to bury DVDR but it has been shite since the losing the archives.

That and the trolls who run rampant now. Seriously, what happened to head staking? Did Tomk and Phil Schneider just get bored and decide to watch the board go down in flames?

As far as interface goes, I really do like this one the most. I'm a follower of "if it's not broke," but unfortunately, that seems to be the case. Board content is what really matters though.

i'll be honest. I've learned from what happened at DVDVR and I've been backing up some of my ridiculous write ups elsewhere. I think, maybe, if you do upgrade, it might be best to disable the "like" functionality. We just don't need that here.

Any reason why?

On a separate note, I've been thinking a lot about hashtags and I do think there are some very cool things we can do there.

Also, I have a test site set up. I'm looking for as many volunteers as possible who are willing to *try* to break it before we switch over and do as many wonky things as possible and see what happens. Let's make sure it passes the stress test. PM me for the link if you are interested. Thanks.

i'll be honest. I've learned from what happened at DVDVR and I've been backing up some of my ridiculous write ups elsewhere. I think, maybe, if you do upgrade, it might be best to disable the "like" functionality. We just don't need that here.

Any reason why?

On a separate note, I've been thinking a lot about hashtags and I do think there are some very cool things we can do there.

There's a juvenile subconscious thing where you might post differently in order to garner likes. I think it has led to some of the trolling over on DVDVR and less genuine posting. It's not a huge thing but I don't see that as necessary here. I'm not saying there's necessarily something more academic and adult and mature about this place, but the level of discourse is pretty high and I don't think inviting that level of sophomoric popularity pushes is necessarily a good thing.

Any reason why?

There's a juvenile subconscious thing where you might post differently in order to garner likes. I think it has led to some of the trolling over on DVDVR and less genuine posting. It's not a huge thing but I don't see that as necessary here. I'm not saying there's necessarily something more academic and adult and mature about this place, but the level of discourse is pretty high and I think inviting that level of sophomoric popularity pushes is necessarily a good thing.

Thanks for the explanation. We'll start by disabling it and if there's a demand or people want to reconsider later, we can always turn it on.

Here is a list of the additional features from what I'm able to tell so far. I'll edit this list as I discover more things:

- Ability to follow threads and get notified of additional posts in the thread at a schedule of your choosing

- Ability to get a Facebook-like notification at the top of the page at each log on of additional posts in the thread

- Ability to use #hashtags on threads, which will be extremely useful in searching threads later (I want to make this a mod/admin thing instead of something everyone does for reasons I'm happy to explain if anyone doesn't understand why)

- Ability to like posts, which we will turn off initially based on Matt D's valid points

- Ability to embed videos from YouTube in posts

- Ability to attach files under 100MB to posts

- More sophisticated features and options related to the color, font and style of posts

- Auto-save!

Here is a list of the additional features from what I'm able to tell so far. I'll edit this list as I discover more things:

- Ability to follow threads and get notified of additional posts in the thread at a schedule of your choosing

- Ability to get a Facebook-like notification at the top of the page at each log on of additional posts in the thread

- Ability to use #hashtags on threads, which will be extremely useful in searching threads later (I want to make this a mod/admin thing instead of something everyone does for reasons I'm happy to explain if anyone doesn't understand why)

- Ability to like posts, which we will turn off initially based on Matt D's valid points

- Ability to embed videos from YouTube in posts

- Ability to attach files under 100MB to posts

- More sophisticated features and options related to the color, font and style of posts

- Auto-save!

I would like some clarification on youtube embedding once we move forward. I know that DVDVR is a bit more lax in what they let people post and traditionally for both reasons of caution and principle, it's been a bit stricter.