Pro Wrestling Only

Board upgrade

Loss

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'll be honest. I've learned from what happened at DVDVR and I've been backing up some of my ridiculous write ups elsewhere. I think, maybe, if you do upgrade, it might be best to disable the "like" functionality. We just don't need that here.

Any reason why?

On a separate note, I've been thinking a lot about hashtags and I do think there are some very cool things we can do there.

There's a juvenile subconscious thing where you might post differently in order to garner likes. I think it has led to some of the trolling over on DVDVR and less genuine posting. It's not a huge thing but I don't see that as necessary here. I'm not saying there's necessarily something more academic and adult and mature about this place, but the level of discourse is pretty high and I don't think inviting that level of sophomoric popularity pushes is necessarily a good thing.

I don't think that scenario would happen here specifically because of what you mentioned. This board generally has a higher level of discourse and I can't see people "chasing likes" in this kind of environment. I would appreciate a "like" feature because there are times when someone has made a great point that I agree with but have nothing to add to it. Nevertheless, I'm glad it was said and would like a tangible way to show my gratitude :)

There is something that seems to be causing "lag" on the board. It's pretty evident when typing a post, especially longer posts. I'm not seeing it elsewhere, or even when just reading things elsewhere. Feels like some script is running that's slowing the browser down, and "typing lag" sets in.

I'm one Firefox, which handles that stuff better than IE. It's strange...

There is something that seems to be causing "lag" on the board. It's pretty evident when typing a post, especially longer posts. I'm not seeing it elsewhere, or even when just reading things elsewhere. Feels like some script is running that's slowing the browser down, and "typing lag" sets in.

I'm one Firefox, which handles that stuff better than IE. It's strange...

I've had absolutely no trouble with Google Chrome if you want to try that browser.

I quite like the basic style that PWO has but if an upgrade is necessary, I agree that a like system should be avoided. This board certainly doesn't have the same makeup as DVDVR but I agree that the "like" format encourages random presses of the 'like' button over actual debate.

The one thing I do like about the basic Invision format is the ability to view a poster's topics and posts from their sign up date/the board's inception. The Invision update limits that kind of searching to a certain date and really restricts your attempts to dig up posts from the past. That may seem inconsequential but I, personally, really enjoy digging through the post history of posters I find interesting and it's let me indulge in discussions that I wouldn't normally jump into.

This kind of Invision board is a great testament to the mid or late 2000s style of message board and I really like it because of that but at some point, upgrades need to be made and that's understandable. It's just this poster hopes that you don't completely move away from the basic style that makes this board a pleasure to navigate :)

If you have any DB issues or technical things, I can try and help as I am a Systems Admin..

But make sure your DB backups are hte FULL DB and not the latest delta...I prefer getting a good, FULL, flat file backup (*.bak) if using SQL...They are easy to restore and stay stable.

You can alos utilized SQL's newer backup types as well, but make sure its the whole DB and NOT the delta...

Thanks!

Hopefully a dumb question that I find the answer to shortly, but does the new site have the same button next to each thread you can click to begin viewing from any unread posts in that thread?

I believe so, yes. It should work the same way.

One other note -- it looks like the new yearbook threads don't display the subtopic which listed the date/promotion/show of the topic. Any way to get that back?

Sadly, no. It's going to be a bit labor intensive, but I'm editing thread titles. Check the January 1990 folder to see what I've done so far. I've applied hashtags and edited titles there, so you can see where we are going. The good news is that you'll be able to sort those threads in all folders when I'm done by:

- Wrestler

- Day of the Year

- Feud

- Promotion

- Title on the line

- Title Change

- City in which it occurred

- My star rating (Plan to layer in others eventually, including WON ratings)

One other note -- it looks like the new yearbook threads don't display the subtopic which listed the date/promotion/show of the topic. Any way to get that back?

Sadly, no. It's going to be a bit labor intensive, but I'm editing thread titles. Check the January 1990 folder to see what I've done so far. I've applied hashtags and edited titles there, so you can see where we are going. The good news is that you'll be able to sort those threads in all folders when I'm done by:

- Wrestler

- Day of the Year

- Feud

- Promotion

- Title on the line

- Title Change

- City in which it occurred

- My star rating (Plan to layer in others eventually, including WON ratings)

This sounds awesome and will absolutely make this place that much more of a resource than it already is. Definitely going to be a painstaking process. Thanks for putting in the time!