• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike Johnson said today the WM lineup is "set in stone" as:

Orton vs Batista (World title)

HHH vs Punk

Undertaker vs Lesnar

Cena vs Wyatt

Bryan vs Sheamus

The Wyatt gimmick is amazing, but I think Cena's going to damage it with his goofiness. It's supposed to be dark, bizarre, and a little scary, but "Southern Preacher John" probably won't put it over that way. The matches should be fine, but color me skeptical.

It's so puzzling that WWE seems hell bent on ignoring the fans with the excuse of "well Bryan doesn't move ratings/merch" when they've spent over a decade establishing that the WWE brand is bigger than any individual star. Cena was the last guy given the complete "this is the man" push, and the only others who actually pop a rating are returns of guys from before the current mindset.

If they don't want to make him a top guy, I agree with Loss in that they really should stop dicking the fans around.

He is a top guy. He headlined 4 PPVs last year and was in the final segment on many RAWs, including two weeks ago. He's not surpassing Cena - nobody is. So if that's what you're looking for, it's going to be a disappointment, but that's a narrow way of looking at things.

I wish people would just relax about Daniel Bryan and enjoy the fact that we're going to get years of great stuff out of him and WWE as long as he stays healthy. He's a made guy now. In a company that struggles to create headliners and is forced to produce a ton of content, he's a guy they know they can rely on. He's going to win the WWE title at some point, he's going to headline more PPVs, he's going to have lots of great matches on PPV and TV. People should be so excited about the next 5 years of Daniel Bryan/WWE collaboration instead of freaking out if he doesn't win the title at a specific PPV. I see him filling a similar role to 2002-2010 HBK. That's a good spot.

Sometimes I think that on some level this whole Bryan deal is just some kind of meta trolling of the fans by WWE/Hunter/Vince.

First they job him out on NXT, then they spend months having the announcers bury him as a geek, then they seem to be recognizing his ability and give him a title run only to lose in 18 seconds to a Friend of Hunter, then he's in a wacky big guy/little guy tag team where he has a inferiority complex, then they give him a clean win over the top ace of the company only to eat a Pedigree in seconds, then after dicking around with taking the title off him they stick him in a wacky heel faction only to turn him back in a couple weeks,

It seems pretty clear when you look at it that they never had any intentions of making him anything more than perhaps a Santino level guy who gets a few more wins than the usual comedy act.

I care less about Daniel Bryan's spot on the card then I do about logical booking that follows things through to an appropriate conclusion. The storyline begun at SummerSlam should end with either Bryan beating Orton for the title or Bryan beating Triple H cleanly and decisively. One of those two things is what he should be doing at Wrestlemania. Maaaaaaaaybe facing Cena in a rematch, if one of them had the title going in to the show.

Spanner in the works is slang for a problem.

(Spanner is British/Australian for wrench)

It's so puzzling that WWE seems hell bent on ignoring the fans with the excuse of "well Bryan doesn't move ratings/merch" when they've spent over a decade establishing that the WWE brand is bigger than any individual star. Cena was the last guy given the complete "this is the man" push, and the only others who actually pop a rating are returns of guys from before the current mindset.

If they don't want to make him a top guy, I agree with Loss in that they really should stop dicking the fans around.

He is a top guy. He headlined 4 PPVs last year and was in the final segment on many RAWs, including two weeks ago. He's not surpassing Cena - nobody is. So if that's what you're looking for, it's going to be a disappointment, but that's a narrow way of looking at things.

I wish people would just relax about Daniel Bryan and enjoy the fact that we're going to get years of great stuff out of him and WWE as long as he stays healthy. He's a made guy now. In a company that struggles to create headliners and is forced to produce a ton of content, he's a guy they know they can rely on. He's going to win the WWE title at some point, he's going to headline more PPVs, he's going to have lots of great matches on PPV and TV. People should be so excited about the next 5 years of Daniel Bryan/WWE collaboration instead of freaking out if he doesn't win the title at a specific PPV. I see him filling a similar role to 2002-2010 HBK. That's a good spot.

Speaking for myself, my problem with Bryan being shunted aside isn't that I'm worried for his long term future with the company. I know he'll be there for years and always be able to get himself over and have great matches.

That's great, but we're talking about now, about this particular storyline and period of TV. As a fan, watching the shows, Bryan not having a major role now and getting his redemption, after all he went through since Summerslam, makes no sense. It means everything we've been watching has been for nought. That's just bad storytelling. It's all well and good to say don't worry, he'll be their go-to guy for the next decade, but promises for the future are cold comfort when what I'm watching right now is unfulfilling. Think of the guy who said he's never been this depressed about wrestling. It's just not fun when something like this happens, and watching wrestling is supposed to be fun.

Jimmy nailed it. You have tons of guys on this very board who are just looking for a reason to come back and watch something compelling enough to embrace WWE TV. Fucking with the crowd and Daniel Bryan is not compelling enough. Also, no way you can compare DB to HBK. HBK the legend who was a multi-world champ is a much different role than a never has been.