Pro Wrestling Only

Royal Rumble 2014

goodhelmet

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dylan is right....fans watch the TV and when they see a trend start they get behind it.

Orton & Sheamus both got shat on the night after Mania last year and both haven't been the same since.

The Randy Savage chants started that night and have been chanted numerous times since during Orton matches and then the chants for JBL & Lawler.

I think part of it is that different demos watch WWE for entirely different reasons, and sometimes their interests compete with each other. Dave has talked a few times about the challenges of promoting wrestling in this era because the fan base has never sent so many mixed messages. I think that would be a good topic for a separate thread if someone wants to start it.

Regarding ad-libbing in reaction to the crowd, I agree that there's not much that can be done if the crowd actively refuses to buy what you're selling. But Sheamus should've realized that they were going to shit all over the Wrestlemania sign point and axed it.

This is exactly the type of thing I was talking about earlier in the thread in terms of these WWE robots having no clue how to improvise to adverse situations.

This company is full of people who are completely lost & without a clue when things go off the rails.

I think part of it is that different demos watch WWE for entirely different reasons, and sometimes their interests compete with each other. Dave has talked a few times about the challenges of promoting wrestling in this era because the fan base has never sent so many mixed messages. I think that would be a good topic for a separate thread if someone wants to start it.

All I'm saying is you can't be surprised when they stay the course in the face of unexpected crowd reactions. We can argue those crowd reactions are qualitatively different (for Cena v. Batista, for example), but there's more than a small precedent that has been set.

They think Roman Reigns is that guy but I want to see how they portray him as a singles wrestler on his own

The thing about Reigns, is they won't search for reasons to derail that train. His live reactions can't touch Bryan, and like Bryan there is no evidence The Shield or Reigns specifically is anything more than a decent TV & PPV draw at best, but don't think for one second that push is going anywhere but all the way. He'll be the new Orton. Evidence be damned, this guy is a STAR.

Well that was quite the opening segment of RAW

I guess HHH/Steph were supposed to be there to goad the crowd into making a similar reaction to last night but then for them to begin ragging on them not all chanting the same thing seemed really passive-aggressive and unhelpful. Nobody being able to gain any vocal victory over that pair in any exchange is beginning to get ridiculous now.

it's fairly obvious that Sheamus somehow costs his team the match (intentionally or not), and gets a EC spot as a reward.. isn't it? Orton v. Ambrose v. Rollins v. Reigns v. Sheamus v. Bryan (somehow)

it opens up a few WM matches as a result as well

Just can't imagine that we get Cena and Orton in the same ring 3 PPVs in a row

First Batista - the intended "big surprise" of the Rumble - was revealed early. I think this is being undersold significantly. By no means am I saying that the crowd would have responded precisely as the WWE wanted them to if Batista had been a surprise entrant/winner, but there is no way in hell the response would have been nearly as bad as it was.

I agree that if it was a surprise the finish would have gotten over better, but without Batista they had only one major star announced for the match (CM Punk), which goes back to the dearth of new singles headliners they've made in recent years. Also, that's booking for the pop rather than drawing money. I think the bigger mistake was having Batista's first appearance back be on Raw last week than in the Rumble itself, as once people had seen him the curiosity factor was gone.

The winning team gets in the EC so that makes the result obvious plus the Shield costs each other the match

Sure, a GoodguySuperFriends win probably means the EC is Orton v. Cena v. Sheamus v. Bryan v. Lesnar v. Bray Wyatt?

so I guess they could set up their WM stuff through that match too. But this eternal Shield tension could be extended either way. Plus they're due another week or two of blatantly fucking over Bryan before he goes to the match. But I can see how booking him v. 4 heels and Sheamus might be a bit excessive.

Also, nice that the Network will feature new content, like clips from Rise and Fall of WCW and OutOfCharacter Undertaker