Pro Wrestling Only

Royal Rumble 2014

goodhelmet

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TheGreatPuma

I still think Rocky III is one of the most profound movies ever. I'm drunk and still possibly serious about that.

Yes, it is (and I'm sober). But only for a certain percentage of the population who gets it. I love the 3rd movie.

Speaking of "The Eye of The Tiger", that's why Dolph got the cheering he did last night and why he has been as popular throughout his career as he has been.

The guy still wants it despite the booking.

Guest TheGreatPuma

I get that not everyone buys a Daniel Bryan t-shirt or whatever, but does buying tickets to shows and chanting your ass off not count or something?

You're right, It has to. The whole crowd whenever Bryan is there is having a terrific time with the "Yes" or "No" chants and with his matches. I find it fascinating that the bigger WWE audience is participating in his matches in ways the smaller indy crowds would. That is very impressive considering the audience's size. So with all the emotional investment in Bryan's match, the Yes/No chants etc and his charisma he's leaving the WWE fans with a very fun emotional/positive experience which will bring fans back. That counts for a lot.

After skimming through this thread and reading about the nasty crowd reaction to last night's Rumble, it kind of makes me want to watch RAW tonight to see how bad the crowd shits on whatever WWE does that doesn't elevate Daniel Bryan.

Maybe that's WWE's new strategy: Tune in to watch our angry fans take a dump on our lackluster main-eventers.

The best part of the show was as everyone was leaving, the arena staff was passing out flyers for the Smackdown taping in June....that had Bryan's "Respect the Beard" logo as the whole front side.

This is the type of little thing they just can't do. People will see them as wanting to have it both ways and get more angry.

Alright, I've had time to digest all of what happened last night, and I am ready to make my statement.

It isn't about Daniel Bryan.

I know that is a big statement to make, and yes, people (myself included) love the hell out of the guy, but it isn't JUST about him.

Daniel Bryan has become the face of a product revolution that the fans are demanding to see. Ziggler, Punk, all 3 Shield guys, The Wyatt Family, Fandango.....all of them have been getting and got last night.....huge reactions.

Meanwhile the crowd shit all over Cena, Orton, Batista, and Mysterio.......all guys that we have seen non-stop for over 10 years now. (and the boo'ing of Mysterio began before he drew #30. The crowd boo'ed him when he was cutting his pre-Rumble interview on the Titan Tron)

They can claim that this is a "vocal minority" or "smart fans" all they want, but last night nearly everyone in the arena left disappointed at best, or angry at worst.

The Royal Rumble nine times out of ten is one of the most exciting and crowd pleasing matches of the year. This year it ended in a chorus of boo's followed by "Bullshit" and "Refund" chants.

The WWE World Heavyweight Title, arguably the most important title in the history of the wrestling business, was contested in a match that the fans cared so little about that chants of "Boring" "You both suck" "Randy Savage" "Y2J" "End this match" "Daniel Bryan" We want Angle" "CM Punk" "Take it home" "This is awful" and "We want Divas" rang out for most of the match, followed by the crowd doing the wave and Fandango'ing to amuse themselves. The "popping" for the stolen finisher spots was not so much for the moves, but for the fact that people thought the match was over. Then to put the proverbial icing on the cake, the match ends on outside interference by a group of guys who are supposed to be heels, attacking the guy who is supposedly the #1 babyface of the company, and the crowd breaks out into loud "Thank You Wyatts" chants.

This isn't an isolated incident, it has been happening everywhere, and eventually they are going to have to listen to what the crowd wants, or they are going to lose the "people who will continue supporting the product no matter what" and other than young children, those are about the only fans they have left.

Yeah, not sure why Mysterio is getting shit on by the crowd suddenly. He's never been pushed down people's throats aside from maybe during the Eddie angle and even then he was probably the least protected babyface champion ever. Has good to great matches every time despite having no knees and does whatever the company asks of him.

They weren't booing Mysterio. They were boing the fact that he wasn't Bryan.

I was responding to this -

Meanwhile the crowd shit all over Cena, Orton, Batista, and Mysterio.......all guys that we have seen non-stop for over 10 years now. (and the boo'ing of Mysterio began before he drew #30. The crowd boo'ed him when he was cutting his pre-Rumble interview on the Titan Tron)

Just read this entire thread. I don't watch the WWE regularly anymore due to the complacency of it's angles and talent. Truthfully had Brock not had a match, I wouldn't have gone out of my way to see it.

Wyatt v Bryan was just a tremendous match. It was so good, that I got lost in the match for the first time in over a decade. I didn't even realize it went 20+ minutes. DB is something special inside the ring and Wyatt is a captivating character, so different for the WWE in this day and age that you can't help but be interested in him.

Lesnar v Show, in my opinion, was exactly what it should've been (minus the "too long" post match). Lesnar brings that bit of insanity to the scripted product that I crave. Show did his job well.

Cena v Orton is everything all rolled into one as to why I don't watch the product anymore. It seems I've seen this match 10 times if I've seen it once. The crowd turning on it was great and made it much more intriguing than it should have been.

The Rumble was fun and again once DB didn't come out, I felt the groans from Pittsburgh all the way here in cold Illinois. Knowing Batista was going to win was a downer, but on a positive note, if they can put both him and Orton in the same match at least it will give me a chance to eat dinner during Wrestlemania and know I'm not missing anything.

I will tune into Raw to see the fallout, so I guess WWE has that going for them.

They definitely elevated Reigns on the show, which was a positive.

I agree with this. Inside though, I can't help but feel like he's going to win the U.S. title from Ambrose & no one will give a shit while he takes a backseat to Brock, Batista, Cena, Orton, Undertaker, Triple H, etc.

I mean, I don't think anyone really cares about Dean Ambrose in the WWE Universe. I don't think anyone really cares about the U.S. title. I don't think anyone really cares about this title run that Ambrose has had with the U.S. title. I had to actually look up who he even won the damn thing from. So will they care when a guy that doesn't matter with a belt that doesn't matter has his reign that didn't matter ended by a guy that should be Superman?

It's not like the U.S. title in 2014 is on equal footing with the Intercontinental Title from 1985, you know?

Of course, the same fans that I'm probably undervaluing went crazy when Alex Riley turned on The Miz. I've definitely been wrong before. I do think Ambrose is damn good, I just don't think anyone cares about him in The Shield or on WWE TV because they haven't presenting him as a great guy. Most people that like him, from what I've seen, have been people that liked him from the Indies before he ever even got called up. I actually think he's gotten worse while Reigns has done nothing but improve. A lot of that is booking though.

When The Shield were first called up, I think most agreed that in order of good to bad, it was Ambrose, Rollins, Reigns. Now, to me, it feels like Reigns, Rollins, Ambrose. It's not like The Shield haven't had great matches, as they have. But how much do great matches matter to non-internet fans? Are people in the stands going crazy for Goldust's work like they do online? I don't think so...

Maybe just have Reigns squash Ambrose to win the U.S. title then go into a unification program with Big E. for 'Mania? I have no idea at this point. I think Reigns needs the rocket strapped to him while Ambrose & Rollins will be fine doing anything else because they're good workers & Ambrose when they let him can be a damn good promo. I feel Reigns kind of needs the machine behind him. If he's not super-protected, he could just be the next Ryback instead of the next Batista.

Jamie Noble was the agent for the RR match, and they didn't have the guys in the ring putting it together until 6PM last night so he is getting blamed.

KENTA is at the performance center right now for a tryout.

Prince Devitt contract offer is still on the table and he has to make a decision soon.

Still negotiating with Sting, a decision has to be made in the next 2 weeks apparently.