Pro Wrestling Only

Punk Walks Out of WWE

Strummer

People will dig into this whole thing way too deep.

"I don't have a top spot now like I did."

"I''m unhappy at work, being here makes me miserable."

Both pretty valid reasons for leaving a job. Obviously there will be sub-points that added to the decision but if he's handled his money well and can afford to walk away and be a happier person, good for him.

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They should totally put a new spin on that. Love Vince motioning to Austin not to climb the ropes like he always did so Austin just raises an arm in the corner.

Amazing to remember how great Vince was back then. Mr. McMahon is totally played out a decade plus later, but lordy was he terrific then.

They should totally put a new spin on that. Love Vince motioning to Austin not to climb the ropes like he always did so Austin just raises an arm in the corner.

Amazing to remember how great Vince was back then. Mr. McMahon is totally played out a decade plus later, but lordy was he terrific then.

Honestly, there was a point that Vince was my favourite heel in wrestling. By a pretty wide margin.

Of course it got overdone, but when Vince is on his a-game, he really is an amazing character.

If it's a shoot, I'm happy. Punk could reasonably have a bright future in a place like NJPW where he would be respected and WOULDN'T have to work a schedule designed to grind a persons bones to dust. The "E" has mishandled so many talents it's the rule rather than the exception. Call what's happening the KLIK 2.0. Who gets in the Rumble: Nash -- who doesn't even show for the next nights' RAW. The Musclehead from NXT and Batista -- another friend of Paul's . Who wouldn't be pissed if the Bosses friends are all getting the spots and hard work and talent count for fuck all? I hope Bryan is next out the door and he and Punk both go to Japan. They would at least reinvigorate the gaijin side of whatever fed they wrestled in (assuming NJPW). The WWE is sewing the seeds of it's own eventual destruction.

If this isn't a work, Punk will sit on the sidelines, wait for the inevitable injury to Cena or whoever else major they're pushing huge opposite Cena, and use the WWE panicking to find someone to leverage a significant increase in his new/next contract.

For all the talk of Punk having FU Money, what he really has is more likely "I Don't Need To Work For A Long While" money. Even is he's been smart and prudent and non-extravagant with his money (which all reports indicate), he's 35 years old, if he lives to 80 that's 45 years... and 45 years with no fresh income is a long time. If he's been paying into SS, it's been capped at around $108K of his wages... but since he's not technically on payroll, who knows how workers pay into that, and how many eventually get it. If he's set the max into retirement funds for tax purposes, he can't touch that for a while without penalty, and if he's as prudent/smart as people say, he's not going to do that. If he paid cash for his pad, that's smart on a level for avoiding a mortgage if he was able to afford it... but there also went a sizable chunk of his income. If he didn't, then he has a mortgage trailing out into the future. Etc.

If he's smart/prudent as we all think, he knows these are his big income years. Not everyone is Taker where they can get a big payday in the mid-40s. Austin was broken down. Bret was. Shawn went out for ages. Lets of other top guys simply had time pass them by.

If he really wants total FU money, he'll play this like Bret did in 1996, or Jericho on a much lower level has over the years. The WWE will always at some point need someone. Play it right, and his new contract is rather large. Add in that with the leverage, he can make the concerns about PPV vs Network go away: big downside base guarantee.

John

Honestly, I think Punk can also find ways to make money doing things he's interested in. I'm not entirely sure what that is, but I bet Marvel wouldn't mind him writing a comic if he wanted to. I could see him writing some columns for a major website about MMA or god knows what. I think it's probably easier for CM Punk to monetize his celebrity than someone like Jericho who's done a pretty smash up job of it.

If this isn't a work, Punk will sit on the sidelines, wait for the inevitable injury to Cena or whoever else major they're pushing huge opposite Cena, and use the WWE panicking to find someone to leverage a significant increase in his new/next contract.

For all the talk of Punk having FU Money, what he really has is more likely "I Don't Need To Work For A Long While" money. Even is he's been smart and prudent and non-extravagant with his money (which all reports indicate), he's 35 years old, if he lives to 80 that's 45 years... and 45 years with no fresh income is a long time. If he's been paying into SS, it's been capped at around $108K of his wages... but since he's not technically on payroll, who knows how workers pay into that, and how many eventually get it. If he's set the max into retirement funds for tax purposes, he can't touch that for a while without penalty, and if he's as prudent/smart as people say, he's not going to do that. If he paid cash for his pad, that's smart on a level for avoiding a mortgage if he was able to afford it... but there also went a sizable chunk of his income. If he didn't, then he has a mortgage trailing out into the future. Etc.

If he's smart/prudent as we all think, he knows these are his big income years. Not everyone is Taker where they can get a big payday in the mid-40s. Austin was broken down. Bret was. Shawn went out for ages. Lets of other top guys simply had time pass them by.

If he really wants total FU money, he'll play this like Bret did in 1996, or Jericho on a much lower level has over the years. The WWE will always at some point need someone. Play it right, and his new contract is rather large. Add in that with the leverage, he can make the concerns about PPV vs Network go away: big downside base guarantee.

He bought the building his loft is in (he also rents the first floor storefront out to a tattoo shop) with cash a good while before he signed his current deal in 2011.

From the GQ interview between the promo and him re-signing in 2011:

GQ: Are you set for life? Could you never work again?

C.M. Punk: I don't know if this sounds bad, but I am set, yeah. I don't spend my money. I don't buy cars or have an expensive drug habit. The only thing I've ever bought with the money I've made is my house. My car was paid for in 2005. I don't like having debts. I don't like buying anything that I can't buy in cash. I didn't have a credit card until about a year ago. I'm not going to say I'm fortunate, because I've sacrificed a whole ton, but I'm set.

GQ: Does that have any appeal for you? Never working again?

C.M. Punk: No. Everybody jokes with me that I'm going to go crazy in the first week, and maybe I am. But maybe that's what I need to experience. I've never not done this, whether it was because I needed to pay bills or because I was so passionate and obsessed about it. But I think I'm reaching a point where I can step away and where I need to step away for a while.

He was absolutely set to leave in 2011. For all of the mythologizing done with the promo and the match in Chicago, that's something that's not a work. Never in his wildest dreams did he expect them to make such a huge offer to him (honestly I don't know what that means besides the bus, since we know downsides never top $1 million anymore). Regardless of what you say about how he was booked, the champion is always paid incredibly well and he was the champion for a huge chunk of that period. I can easily see a scenario where he has zero need to ever work again.

Unless he came into a lot of family money or had literally all of his earnings in some of the best investments possible the last few years, I don't see how he's got enough put away to last him into old age. All time is a long time. I've got no doubt he can ride it out for a few years, but forever? Not impossible, but a tough sell.

And from PWInsider:

WWE stopped following CM Punk on Twitter this afternoon. Considering they follow a number of discarded characters (Dr. Shelby) and WWE NXT talents who have since been released, that should tell you all you need to know.

Obviously they need to have Daniel Bryan come out on Monday (since he's really the only voice the WWE fans would trust at this point. It's not like they have Jim Ross to do it) and say that unfortunately, CM Punk is deathly afraid of Kane.

Obviously the real winner here is Sting.

Unless he came into a lot of family money or had literally all of his earnings in some of the best investments possible the last few years, I don't see how he's got enough put away to last him into old age. All time is a long time. I've got no doubt he can ride it out for a few years, but forever? Not impossible, but a tough sell.

And from PWInsider:

WWE stopped following CM Punk on Twitter this afternoon. Considering they follow a number of discarded characters (Dr. Shelby) and WWE NXT talents who have since been released, that should tell you all you need to know.

According to real estate listings, he paid $2.15 million for his home in 2010 (about a year before his current deal, maybe more, maybe less) and gets rent from the tattoo shop that's in the storefront on the ground floor. He's said many times he paid cash. He didnt have to give any second thoughts to cutting Joey Mercury a six figure check when he was gonna lose his house. Aside from the home, he lives very frugally. If he has high 7 figures in the bank, he could easily live off that for good.

Who gets in the Rumble: Nash -- who doesn't even show for the next nights' RAW.

The surprise legend entrants rarely show up on Raw the next night, even if they're friends with the the Evil King Of Kings. Who did you want in there, Jake? the Warrior embarrassing himself? Bruno? They could have had Sting but I guess they want to hold that card.

The Musclehead from NXT

I don't remember Mason Ryan being in the Rumble

And Batista

He is one of the only big time draws left who they haven't milked yet, so when he became available they brought him back . . and he drew. What did you expect him to do on his return? Do the job to Fandango?

Who wouldn't be pissed if the Bosses friends are all getting the spots and hard work and talent count for fuck all?

Yeah fuck Our Lord the Evil King Of Kings and his minions (he isn't even the boss yet!). Dolph Ziggler should be headlining Mania!

Who gets in the Rumble: Nash -- who doesn't even show for the next nights' RAW.

The surprise legend entrants rarely show up on Raw the next night, even if they're friends with the the Evil King Of Kings. Who did you want in there, Jake? the Warrior embarrassing himself? Bruno? They could have had Sting but I guess they want to hold that card.

The Musclehead from NXT

I don't remember Mason Ryan being in the Rumble

And Batista

He is one of the only big time draws left who they haven't milked yet, so when he became available they brought him back . . and he drew. What did you expect him to do on his return? Do the job to Fandango?

Who wouldn't be pissed if the Bosses friends are all getting the spots and hard work and talent count for fuck all?

Yeah fuck Our Lord the Evil King Of Kings and his minions (he isn't even the boss yet!). Dolph Ziggler should be headlining Mania!

to put aside your feeble trolling - if you don't think Paul isn't a major part of the decision process you're delusional. As far as Dave Batista being a big time draw? We'll see if he can draw before the stumblefuck hurts himself before Mania and they have to call an audible. There is a bias in this company which is consistent from the 80s to 2014. Big, musclebound people whether they can work or not. I'm just glad there is one person who can go tell them to go fuck themselves. The two egomaniacs and the senile old man are ruining what was a good company to watch at one time.

to put aside your feeble trolling - if you don't think Paul isn't a major part of the decision process you're delusional. As far as Dave Batista being a big time draw? We'll see if he can draw before the stumblefuck hurts himself before Mania and they have to call an audible. There is a bias in this company which is consistent from the 80s to 2014. Big, musclebound people whether they can work or not. I'm just glad there is one person who can go tell them to go fuck themselves. The two egomaniacs and the senile old man are ruining what was a good company to watch at one time.

When was it all rosy fields for you in the WWE then? The seventies?

They did FAIRLY good business 1998-2001

Batista can work though. He's not exactly Broadus or Ted Arcidi here. His reactions are a result of the booking, not him. If they had put him in a better scenario he'd be getting great reactions. There are obviously people who wanted to see him come back, as evidenced by the big jump in the Raw rating for his return.

I think they've realized after The Rock and Brock Lesnar really didn't move PPV buyrates THAT much, that The Network was a better chance to have people plunk down money to see a star return. $10 a month is a lot cheaper to see Batista come back than $60 to see Rock wrestle at Mania. I have to imagine if there was ever a chance they'd get Austin to come back for one more match, it would have been this year. No one could mean more to The Network launch.

They did FAIRLY good business 1998-2001

Well, The Rock was more jacked than Cena in that period but I'm not sure why you brought up business. I was asking you when did you think the WWE 'was a good company to watch'?