Pro Wrestling Only

Punk Walks Out of WWE

Strummer

Irrelevant amusing point: when you search for CMPunk on Twitter, a bunch of tweets mentioning "Coach" show up since they search for his username and the display name he uses (Coach). If he used that display name to fuck with the possibility of searching Twitter, well..

Also, i'm just going to start the rumor that CM Punk just blocked the WWE Twitter account today and that's why it looks like they don't follow CM Punk any more.

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if you don't think Paul isn't a major part of the decision process you're delusional.

I'm starting to think that these folk who throw fits and blindly blame everything that they don't like about wrestling on HHH are the most delusional fans of all. And I can't stand HHH!

My apologies, my fault for getting into an argument with a 12 year old behind a keyboard. You of course are correct.

Honestly, I think Punk can also find ways to make money doing things he's interested in. I'm not entirely sure what that is, but I bet Marvel wouldn't mind him writing a comic if he wanted to. I could see him writing some columns for a major website about MMA or god knows what. I think it's probably easier for CM Punk to monetize his celebrity than someone like Jericho who's done a pretty smash up job of it.

Exactly. Marvel would let him write for them in a second. He has the capital and cult appeal to open up a punk rock club, a comic book shop, a pizza place etc. etc. and be successful at it. He can do a podcast. He can get tv/movie roles (something he's talked about wanting to do in the past). There's no shortage of ways for him to monetize himself outside of wrestling.

Also, 11-13 were big money years for the guy. The long championship reign, PPV main events, main eventing house shows, the merchandise.....I'm thinking he doubled if not even tripled his downside. Plus the tour bus and WWE paying for his gas....that might not sound like a huge thing but with all the travel that adds up and it's something he didn't have to pay out of pocket that most of the roster does.

As to why WWE would bother doing a work here, and what's the point of the work.....it got people talking. He was a top trend on twitter, yahoo, google and I'm sure a lot of other places. TMZ is reporting on it (which they love) and I'm sure other gossip outlets as well. Unfollowing him on twitter is totally something they would do to get the work over. I'm leaning towards the simple explanation that he's just totally burnt out and unhappy....it's not like you can't see that with your own eyes watching him the past year. But, I don't put it past WWE or him to work something like this either.

As far as the WM plans....this is oddly a good thing if it puts Bryan in there with HHH. I had zero interest in seeing Punk-HHH again based on how their last program went. Yeah, Punk would probably have gone over, but what would that even do for him at this point? He's way beyond a win over HHH meaning anything. It would mean something for Bryan. I actually liked Alvarez's idea of putting Bryan into the WM title picture (I think he said 3 way with Orton and Batista), giving him the belt there, then having a livid HHH challenge him for the belt at the next PPV in Seattle in a "if you want something done right...." scenario, where Bryan then beats him. But if they do Bryan-HHH with a title shot for Bryan on the line at Mania that works too. Really Punk against HHH never made a ton of sense to me and felt shoehorned in late in the game. Bryan against HHH, HBK or Orton was the logical conclusion. The fact they were thinking about putting him against Sheamus of all people was WTF worthy

My apologies, my fault for getting into an argument with a 12 year old behind a keyboard. You of course are correct.

Of course I'm correct. And I except the apology for your shit posts.

Ryback tweeted this about Punk leaving

I call dibs on GTS, Pepsi Plunge and running knee in corner. I am sure Sheamus will take the rest.

Hilarious.

Ahh Ryback :wub:

As much as I love Bryan and hate how he's been managed, in my heart of hearts, I don't quite see him filling the Top Guy role. The Big Guy on the other hand . .

It's a shame what they've done to him. They pulled every trick in the book to bury him (darn it HHH!). Looks like a monster, great promo, best character in the company. Ryback could have been the new top thing.

It's a shame what they've done to him. They pulled every trick in the book to bury him (darn it HHH!). Looks like a monster, great promo, best character in the company. Ryback could have been the new top thing.

I know everyone wants to jump on the "Ryback sucks" bandwagon now but I agree with you. Even after they fucked him over at HITC they still could have rehabbed him by having him beat Brock Lesnar at Mania. But then they just had him lose to Mark Henry and he hasn't been the same since.

I think last years Rumble was Ryback's last chance to be something. Some would say it was as far back as HITC, when the 'unstoppable monster' was . . . stopped, in his first big time match. He was a sad sight in that rumble though. They had the opportunity to have him Roman Reigns his way through it. He should have emptied the ring and screamed "feed me more!" until the net entrant. Instead it became obvious in that match that he'll always be just another guy.

At least he can still bring us all joy though Twitter though.

Unless he came into a lot of family money or had literally all of his earnings in some of the best investments possible the last few years, I don't see how he's got enough put away to last him into old age. All time is a long time. I've got no doubt he can ride it out for a few years, but forever? Not impossible, but a tough sell.

And from PWInsider:

WWE stopped following CM Punk on Twitter this afternoon. Considering they follow a number of discarded characters (Dr. Shelby) and WWE NXT talents who have since been released, that should tell you all you need to know.

According to real estate listings, he paid $2.15 million for his home in 2010 (about a year before his current deal, maybe more, maybe less) and gets rent from the tattoo shop that's in the storefront on the ground floor. He's said many times he paid cash. He didnt have to give any second thoughts to cutting Joey Mercury a six figure check when he was gonna lose his house. Aside from the home, he lives very frugally. If he has high 7 figures in the bank, he could easily live off that for good.

$2.5M for his house is frugal? And that he had $2.5M laying around in cash a year before his main even run?

Yeah...

John

since we know downsides never top $1 million anymore).

I'm not entirely sold on that. Trip's "performer" contract has a minimum of $1M. That was the one signed in January 2012 when he'd transitioned away from fulltime work and into the office (the EVP gig was handed to him the prior August). You honestly think that Cena's isn't more, while working fulltime? If it is, he has a really stupid agent...

John

John, Punk was the world champion on pay-per-views against Jeff Hardy and Batista when both were at or near their hottest points. He also had the long program with Rey and worked Randy Orton at a Wrestlemania. This was all before the "big" main event run and new contract. I don't think it's farfetched to say he got some nice payoffs during that time period. No reason to assume he wouldn't be in the same financial situation as Chris Jericho when he left in 2005 at the very least. And Jericho was out for over two years.

I think last years Rumble was Ryback's last chance to be something. Some would say it was as far back as HITC, when the 'unstoppable monster' was . . . stopped, in his first big time match. He was a sad sight in that rumble though. They had the opportunity to have him Roman Reigns his way through it. He should have emptied the ring and screamed "feed me more!" until the net entrant. Instead it became obvious in that match that he'll always be just another guy.

At least he can still bring us all joy though Twitter though.

Ryback's story is just mistake after mistake and missed opportunities and pretty much emblematic of WWE's booking problems and how tough it is for someone to get over the level that Punk or Bryan have. Ryback was going to need every bit of help from the booking and some lucky breaks and didn't get it. For the first few months his push was very forced and I didn't think he'd overcome the Goldberg chants. Then he actually got over, and when Cena got hurt they panicked (as they always do) and pushed him into a no win spot. He was being built up to win the IC or US title at the time and they just leapfrogged that to put him in with Punk. Then they book him into another no win situation because they don't want to beat The Shield, so Ryback never gets any revenge on them. Then they're bringing Jericho back at WM to put Ryback over, but they don't anticipate him being as over as he is as a babyface (again classic WWE) and they don't want him overshadowing Ryback. Jericho has gone on the record of how he'd been led to believe he'd wrestle Ryback all along and was not happy about being switched to get Fandango over. Then Ryback says some stuff in interviews that pisses management off, and he ends up jobbing to Mark Henry. Then he turns heel and loses to Cena several times. Destruction of his character was pretty much complete at this point and he was barely used on tv. He rebounded with the BIG GUY bully stuff but they've been treating him like a midcarder ever since. Supposedly Heyman and Punk came up with the idea of using him in their feud, WWE had no real plans for him

Totally plausible that he doesn't need another WWE paycheck for the rest of his life.

First if all he'll make royalties until he's dead. And he's been there for almost 9 years, mostly on top, so the royalties won't be chump change.

He can call his own shots and continue to make money in wrestling if he wants, whether its conventions, Japan, indies, really anywhere he feels like it.

He can do outside ventures or a podcast or try to get into TV or whatever.

He owns real estate.

He'll never want for money.

I really do not think Punk will ever wrestle anywhere outside of the WWE again. I think if he got the itch to come back it would be with WWE, and they'd readily make up with him so it's not like he wouldn't be able to go back. I just can't see a guy at his level wrestling on some crappy indy card regardless of how much some money mark would be willing to overpay.

I really do not think Punk will ever wrestle anywhere outside of the WWE again. I think if he got the itch to come back it would be with WWE, and they'd readily make up with him so it's not like he wouldn't be able to go back. I just can't see a guy at his level wrestling on some crappy indy card regardless of how much some money mark would be willing to overpay.

Then he can be a part-timer coming in to take someone's spot.

Put me in the "who cares?" camp. I didn't even realize he wasn't on the show on Monday.

yeah, I could see Punk making some one-shot appearances at indy shows, maybe as favors to friends ("Hey, i'll work your stuff, I won't ask for much, and money can be made if more people show up to see me").. deep Q on if that makes him a part-timer, although a giant portion of Indy Booking involves part-timers who show up at random. Hey, for all we know, he's one money mark away from booking some random indy next year

So yeah, his career path will be something in-between going full-time somewhere else, and running for Mayor of Chicago in 2015

I wouldn't make that gamble. The same kind of audience that is going to know about how to order a NJPW iPPV is also going to know how to get that iPPV for free from a torrent site a few hours after the event.

I don't know. Again, I'm like 90% sure it would never happen.

But, one, I actually think I highballed the number it'd take for him to wrestle. Especially as Punk was somebody who discovered NJPW/AJPW like we all did back in the day.

Even ignoring that, a lot of those people who would torrent the show anyway have a connection to Punk, so ordering the iPPV would be a way to support him and stick it to McMahon. In addition, you'd have all of the people who are "casual" fans who follow Punk on Twitter and other social media. Imagine, if for a month or two, you had Punk linking to the uStream page every few days and posting wacky pictures of him in Japan.

Like I said, I don't think it'd happen or even probably work, but I do think if one guy who could pull it off, it'd be Punk.

If Punk is leaving on his laurels, then he's only going to get involved again when he feels like it's worthwhile. New Japan would have to shuffle some major cards for him to be up at the top, but if there is one thing that could work out, it's that Jado and Gedo love US wrestling and could make something happen with Punk as the new gaijin ace, something NJPW hasn't had in quite a long time.

Say what you will about NJPW, but if he wants to wrestle for a non-WWE company that will pay him well and will most likely work with what he wants to do, NJPW is his best option. Which is crazy.

Oh man, Punk in NJPW would be so much fun.

In order of my mouth watering:

1. C.M. Punk Vs. Katsuyori Shibata

2. C.M. Punk Vs. Minoru Suzuki

3. C.M. Punk Vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi

4. C.M. Punk Vs. Kazuchika Okada

5. C.M. Punk Vs. Togi Makabe

6. C.M. Punk Vs. Tomohiro Ishii

7. C.M. Punk Vs. Hirooki Goto

8. C.M. Punk Vs. Tetsuya Naito

All of those matches, to me, would be awesome. A Punk run in New Japan would be great.