Pro Wrestling Only

Punk Walks Out of WWE

Strummer

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For what its worth, just checked WWE.com a few seconds ago, and Punk is STILL in the Current section, and in the "Featured Superstars" menu dropdown! What the heck? Are Joey and his crew basking so long in their "We were on the JBL & Cole Show" glory that they aren't keeping up with the breaking news of the day?

Because no one in WWE OR TNA cares about IMMEDIATELY updating their roster pages whenever something happens. This is some goofy internet meme that has never died despite the fact that we have repeatedly seen it take days for guys to get removed from those pages, especially when it's a thing like this and not an out and out release.

There is no precedent for WWE running a work that isn't initiated and played out on television. This is not a work.

The people running around yelling "work" are just the worst kind of fan. They are so worried about being smarter than everyone else, that EVERYTHING is a work because "I'm too smart to get worked" I'm sure the same people yelling "it's a work!" are the same who thought Daniel Bryan getting fired the first time was a work or even that Lawler's heart attack was a work.

Bryan's firing was a "firing". We all knew that he would be back in no time once things cooled and the potential impact on Linda's campaign went bye-bye. Which is exactly what happened, far quicker than expected.

He was as "fired" as Patterson what when he went on vacation during the sex scandal.

John

Yeah, if Punk is truly "gone," WWE would have said something by now. At this point, they obviously don't know how to handle the situation, which is understandable. He's still under contract and because there's a guarantee, they would have to work out a settlement. It's not rocket science. The only reason anyone is saying it could be a work is because it really could be one. The more time passes, the less likely it becomes.

From WON

The subject of Bryan came up and he said that Bryan gets the biggest crowd reactions at the shows, but he doesn't know if it's Bryan that is popular or the most popular wrestler, or that people just like screaming "Yes, Yes, Yes."

I think this argument was put to rest at the Royal Rumble, though, when everyone shit on Cena/Orton and the last few minutes of the Rumble match. If people just like chanting YES then they wouldn't have reacted like that.

From WON

The subject of Bryan came up and he said that Bryan gets the biggest crowd reactions at the shows, but he doesn't know if it's Bryan that is popular or the most popular wrestler, or that people just like screaming "Yes, Yes, Yes."

I think this argument was put to rest at the Royal Rumble, though, when everyone shit on Cena/Orton and the last few minutes of the Rumble match. If people just like chanting YES then they wouldn't have reacted like that.

But wrestling fans by and large are a massive group of miserable dickheads who like nothing better than to shit on things, just because.

Not saying DB isn't popular, he clearly is massively popular. But there is a percentage of people chanting for Daniel Bryan during a Randy Orton match because they cannot wait to film it and upload it to YouTube under their YT account "AmericanDragonEST1999" or go onto wrestlingforum.com and talk shit, just because.

since we know downsides never top $1 million anymore).

I'm not entirely sold on that. Trip's "performer" contract has a minimum of $1M. That was the one signed in January 2012 when he'd transitioned away from fulltime work and into the office (the EVP gig was handed to him the prior August). You honestly think that Cena's isn't more, while working fulltime? If it is, he has a really stupid agent...

John

For whatever it's worth, the word going around here with friends of his is that Seth Rollins' net income last year was 1.25 million. Consider that Punk's merch numbers aren't going to be split up the way Rollins' would, a bit higher spot on the cards, likely a way better downside, it's feasible that Punk was making awesome money.

I'm not entirely sold on that. Trip's "performer" contract has a minimum of $1M. That was the one signed in January 2012 when he'd transitioned away from fulltime work and into the office (the EVP gig was handed to him the prior August). You honestly think that Cena's isn't more, while working fulltime? If it is, he has a really stupid agent...

John

For whatever it's worth, the word going around here with friends of his is that Seth Rollins' net income last year was 1.25 million. Consider that Punk's merch numbers aren't going to be split up the way Rollins' would, a bit higher spot on the cards, likely a way better downside, it's feasible that Punk was making awesome money.

I've got a really hard time believing that. If its true, that is awesome and I hope it continues. But I'd be beyond shocked.

I don't think it's completely out of the question. He's a guy who was on all the house shows, did overseas tours and I'm pretty sure he wrestled all or at least 9-10 of the PPVs last year. The Shield was pretty heavily featured on some of the PPVs too.

At tonight's NXT tapings, they were confiscating signs with any mention of Punk. The show was almost sabotaged with Punk chants throughout the night. Of course, during some downtime, they showed a commercial for the best of 2013 dvd with CM Punk on the cover. Some epic trolling there.

Hard to knock the WWE for that. You don't want attention seeking fans to sabotage a taping for a show that has never had anything to do with CM Punk, save for Punk being the New Nexus leader back in 2011.

To say nothing about the fact that the fans are reacting to someone who just up and left. This wasn't a firing, or quitting after a very public debate over several issues, where it is clear that management is in the wrong. Essentially the fans are doing something that they think is the "cool" thing to do anytime there is a controversial topic.

I do love how marks on a FB page were acting like the WWE is going to give Punk the "Benoit Treatment." Seriously? Grow up and understand how damage control, especially when the employee in question is more in the wrong for leaving, and promoting current products work!

From WON

But wrestling fans by and large are a massive group of miserable dickheads who like nothing better than to shit on things, just because.

Not saying DB isn't popular, he clearly is massively popular. But there is a percentage of people chanting for Daniel Bryan during a Randy Orton match because they cannot wait to film it and upload it to YouTube under their YT account "AmericanDragonEST1999" or go onto wrestlingforum.com and talk shit, just because.

I agree wrestling fans can be like that, but I think the Royal Rumble really wasn't one of those times. Especially since they didn't crap on the entire Rumble match, but rather once the number 30 entrant was announced and it wasn't Daniel Bryan.

I dunno. I agree with what you're saying, but the feel I got from Royal Rumble wasn't your typical smart marks trying to get themselves over as much as it was people that were legitimately pissed and were letting it known.

I dunno. I agree with what you're saying, but the feel I got from Royal Rumble wasn't your typical smart marks trying to get themselves over as much as it was people that were legitimately pissed and were letting it known.

Being there in person, I can tell you that starting around number 22, the anticipation in the building started building for Daniel Bryan, and when Rey came out at number 30, it was a collective "ahh fuck you" from the crowd. I think if Punk or Reigns had won the Rumble it was would have satisfied the crowd, and while Sheamus would have gotten a good boo'ing, people would have been less angry.

There was definitely an "Anyone but Batista" vibe the whole night.

John

Net after taxed (Income Tax, Self-Employed Tax in the place of Payroll Tax, State taxes)? At that amount, he'd be in the top fed bracket (39.6%), and payroll wouldn't be insignificant.

Or net after taking out "wrestling expenses" such as travel & what not if the company doesn't pick up the tab?

I don't think it really matters if he has enough for life right now or not. He could easily parlay his stardom in to some media/commentary role, be it for mma or wrestling or nerd culture or whatever. Not to mention appearances/signings, speaking engagements. I'm sure he has enough for several years and he claims to have spent very little of his money beyond his home purchase. Plus he collects rent from his bottom floor tenants. Unless he develops more expensive tastes in the boredom of retirement, he should be fine not having to return to wrestling.

The Punk chants are really stupid to me. I don't think that's really WWE's fault. Taking over the show with Yes chants or Daniel Bryan chants is far more understandable. This seems like fans just trying to get themselves over.

If a random fan in the crowd that wants to be heard and I see Trips and Steph do the yes chants, I'm probably more likely to chant CM Punk, maybe?