Pro Wrestling Only

Nick Patrick: Spotlight Hog

DR Ackermann

Watch the old MSG shows on the WWE Network or wherever you could find them and just about every show Vince or Gorilla would just shit on one of the NYAC appointed refs for being incompetant. This was in the era where the state commission appointed refs not the promotion.

Dick Woerle being twatted by a ball of paper and wincing while Mike Interesting Rotundo gave someone an airplane spin was the highlight of the old mid 80s Coliseum Video introduction thing. Or it might have been Dick Kroll. I get confused.

Yeah, it was Dick Kroll. Love that clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=riZab8Z8E_M#t=105

• 1 year later...

Any opinions on Japanese refs? Kyohei Wada is well-regarded and I like the air of authority he commands, but he sometimes injects himself too much for my liking. Mr. Takahashi, from what I've seen, is excellent. Authoritative, able to get physically involved from time to time without making the wrestlers look weak since he was jacked himself. The current NJPW head ref, Red Shoes Unno, never used to bother me until I saw one of the Segunda Caida guys mention how annoying he is and now I can't not notice his ridiculous gesticulating in every match.

Red shoes is literally the worst ref of all time, his over the top pouty serious face he pulls, reacting wildly to forearm exchanges, the hulk hogan style ear cupping to hear if a guy is giving up. He just wants to be the centre of attention when a ref should be avoiding that at all costs.

• 2 weeks later...

Mr. Takahashi, from what I've seen, is excellent. Authoritative, able to get physically involved from time to time without making the wrestlers look weak since he was jacked himself.

If this is the barrel chested guy that appears in all them big 80s New Japan matches then yeah, love him. What's cool is that he looks credible when he has to step in yet he's small enough and great-enough-a-bumper enough to never look like the toughest guy in the ring.

Any opinions on Japanese refs? Kyohei Wada is well-regarded and I like the air of authority he commands, but he sometimes injects himself too much for my liking. Mr. Takahashi, from what I've seen, is excellent. Authoritative, able to get physically involved from time to time without making the wrestlers look weak since he was jacked himself. The current NJPW head ref, Red Shoes Unno, never used to bother me until I saw one of the Segunda Caida guys mention how annoying he is and now I can't not notice his ridiculous gesticulating in every match.

Yes! I saw this thread and hopped in just to crap all over Red Shoes. It was I who spouted all the hatred towards him. God how I loathe him. It's as if, during any of his guest ref gigs, Shawn Michaels chose to just be a subtle Red Shoes. This guy is the pits and completely tries to outshine the workers constantly. It's all insult to injury as nothing he ever does even makes sense within kayfabe either, just regularly watching interference without doing anything, but then intervening while two combatants are having a perfectly legal strike exchange. This guy is easily the worst.

Both or one of the Hebners and the fucking ear piece kill me. There will be a run-in, he'll tell them to get the fuck out, and then immediately go back to holding the ear piece stonefaced and walking around like some guy isn't getting jumped by interference right in front of him.

• 2 weeks later...

I always thought Kyohei Wada was pretty judicious injecting himself into matches. He's easily my favorite ref. Red Shoes is ridiculous kinds of awful and needs to be replaced. Joe Higuchi, especially when Hansen is in the ring, is really great.