Pro Wrestling Only

Titans of Wrestling #20

http://placetobenation.com/titans-of-wrestling-20-wwf-at-philadelphia-spectrum-october-1980/

titans20.jpg

The Fabulous Four return to Philly to cover this card from October 1980:

On the docket tonight:

09-20 TONY GAREA / RENE GOULET vs THE WILD SAMOANS TAG TITLES CHAMPIONSHIP WRESTLING

10-11 BARON MIKEL SCICLUNA vs DOMINIC DENUCCI PHILADELPHIA SPECTRUM

10-11 ANDRE THE GIANT vs KEN PATERA IC TITLE PHILADELPHIA SPECTRUM

10-11 BOB BACKLUND vs LARRY ZBYSZKO WWF TITLE PHILADELPHIA SPECTRUM

Highlights include:

- Talking point: “What does ‘psychology’ mean to you?”

- Bio for Rene Goulet

- “The Sad Life of Baron Mikel Scicluna”

- KAL WATCH! featuring general tomfoolery from that pair of jokers, Dick Graham and Kal Rudman

- Gary Michael Cappetta and Super 8′s two-way weight transfusion operation

- And Johnny does the Dusty Rhodes impersonation to end all Dusty Rhodes impersonations

I've listened to chunks of the show. You guys do really well together. You've meshed so well and your differences are a huge strength.

Larry claims that the reason why he didn't have a longer run is that he and Bruno were making power plays together and he pushed too hard for the title with Bruno's backing and it all broke down. Larry is one of the guys i trust the least in wrestling though, even if I generally like him. I'll need to catch that match at some point.

As for psychology, logic and the rest, I'll write some stuff in the next couple of days. It's going to probably need a lot of words differentiating Bret Hart's idea of "realness" and the general sense of conventional/genre consistency, tempered with some of my lessons learned from watching lucha.

I'm going to also have to hack a little at the idea that logic is just a tool like blood or spots or armwork or nearfalls or what not. I think that's ultimately where the disconnect is going to come. To me, it's part of what people are using those tools to achieve. It's an end since it's so inherently tied to storytelling in a way that "Blood" or "highspots" isn't. Those are means.

One interesting thing, in general, is that one of the biggest arguments I've heard against Mark Henry is that "playing your role" is a bare minimum thing and not to be rewarded. My general argument against that (and the reason why logic is more important in wrestling than in other forms of media) is that it's actually such a rare/artful thing (Both playing one's role and logic). It's special because it's uncommon. Most novels, or at least the ones that are successful enough that people actually read them, are at a bare minimum logical and consistent. Plot holes in successful fiction are relatively rare. Most wrestling has plot holes all over the place.

But yeah, more to come in the next week. In the meantime, I agree that it's great that different people can find different elements to enjoy so much. And of course, here at PWO, most people are mostly self aware of why they enjoy what they enjoy which makes the conversation all the more interesting.

Thanks for listening Matt. I've really become interested in the whole Larry falling out with WWF story since doing this show and your info on Bruno and him attempting a power play is intriguing. Personally, I also think Larry realized he was in a tough spot as a rulebreaker who had a big run on top and knew that in New York there was nowhere to go but down at that point. I think he really needed to move on at that point and try out the other territories, because getting a long run with the belt seems to me to have been an unrealistic goal. I wonder if he was somewhat blacklisted after falling out with Vince Sr, because between 81 and 83 (when he shows up in Georgia) the only results I can find for him are two tours of All Japan and matches for that short lived IWF group in 82 I believe Bruno put together in the Northeast.

The four of us have meshed really well together, pretty much from day one. It's been great. We each bring something different to the table. It is so interesting to get together with the others and every time the mix of personalities shapes each show in a way that can never be planned beforehand. My ideal for the show, and I think the others would agree, is that we have put together something entertaining that can stand alone and one doesn't need to see the footage to enjoy it. Although it would be great if everybody could watch the footage along with us. I also know that this era of WWF and pro wrestling in general doesn't appeal to a lot of folks, even around here. We are all having a ton of fun doing this and that shines through.

Larry's match with Bob was really good and you should definitely track it down Matt. Unfortunately it isn't on the streaming sites. But in addition to the tag match, the other two are, so everyone can check them out. Dom/Baron is the anti-workrate masterpiece of all time. :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kenn3oWuGbU&list=PLdj3IsWCiknfys_9lGDSs2AEerJjhSxIN&index=35

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xkm70k_SqNk&list=PLV6RCTo_Cd0BQW_rYxZ3Mc9AWavMIMEf_&index=7

Glad to see that people love this show. Just wanted to post that the only reason I haven't really listened or commented yet is because I haven't had a chance to work my way through what you're watching myself. But I plan to, and I'll start with show number one as a companion. Expect a flood of comments on old shows from me at some point. :)

Glad to see that people love this show. Just wanted to post that the only reason I haven't really listened or commented yet is because I haven't had a chance to work my way through what you're watching myself. But I plan to, and I'll start with show number one as a companion. Expect a flood of comments on old shows from me at some point. :)

Just don't judge the show after episode 1. It gets better...way better. ;)

Just don't judge the show after episode 1. It gets better...way better. ;)

I actually had no real interest in seeing the footage before I started listening to the show. I mainly just like Parv's schtick so I listened to the show. However, after listening to it (some eps multiple times), it made me want to see it. The show's that enjoyable.

I actually had no real interest in seeing the footage before I started listening to the show. I mainly just like Parv's schtick so I listened to the show. However, after listening to it (some eps multiple times), it made me want to see it. The show's that enjoyable.

I think we have just found our co-conspirator on the fake mailbag scheme ran by Parv. :D

Listened to one of the shows (Episode 3) first before watching footage and still had a blast. But I am one of those who likes to watch wrestling first before hearing/reading people talk about results. Watching the stuff first and then listening to this show is just an added to bonus. Because there is some great matches in here and fun to actually watch the matches/promos the guys are talking bout.

Thanks for the youtube links for the matches.

I used to try to keep up with the footage (got way behind listening) but the episodes are so entertaining that they stand alone on their own. I usually go back and watch stuff after listening, unless Parv tips me off in advance for my opinion.

One of the best parts of Titans is that the episodes really reside in a vacuum given the time period of the material. Sure the shtick builds show to show but you can go back to episode 7 and laugh your ass off and it feels like it was recorded yesterday.

This show is easily my favorite wrestling podcast -- everyone has found their role and works great together. The giggling over each other is actually a positive to me (makes you guys sound spontaneous), and I always love the riffing. I spent 10 years as a commercial radio DJ, so I'm hardwired to listen for the weaknesses in delivery and pacing in any broadcast, but you guys overcome all of that with infectious energy and obvious enjoyment of what you are doing.

The best part of these shows is that they're so much fun to do. We have a fucking blast doing them. It's a rare thing to stumble on a group of four guys who mesh this well. Well, there was another group but they kicked out Ole like we kicked out Brick.

What happened to Brick? I enjoyed listening to him too