Pro Wrestling Only

The Ross Report

jpchicago23

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just listed to the 2 part Sting interview. Geez is Ross getting annoying with the interrupting. I want to give this podcast up, but he does have some interesting upcoming guests.

To be fair: in the Bubba Ray Dudley and Tony interviews, its much better. The Sting interview was just embarrassing.

During the WCW Tag Title match at Spring Stampede 99, Tony seemed to get nostalgic for southern style tag wrestling and was happy to see it's application with Benoit/Malenko v Raven/Saturn. Also, he spoke very fondly of Windham's early days and rapid progression as a worker during either the SuperBrawl or Uncensored 99 tag match.

These two quieter, less hyperbolic moments from Tony in 1999 suggested to me a love of old school Crockett wrestling and a hint of dismay at the product he was trying to push at the time.

I think Tony on Ross came across more or less identically to the Tony we know from years of commentary: sincere, honest, hardworking, a company man, puts his family first, loved the NWA, completely burned out and tapped out by the end of WCW.

What really struck me was the lack of any real difference between the real him and his on-air personality. He more or less wore his heart on his sleeve -- on reflection, it's really obvious when he did and didn't care. The story about the "$1 million for a viewer" deal was quite funny.

I thought another of the quite revealing things was the story about him crying after leaving the WWF. I guess it says a lot about WCW if the one guy who is completely synonymous with the place says the best year of his career was in New York -- it's weird, Flair says almost exactly the same thing. And I don't think it's because -- as cynics might argue -- they are kissing ass or trying to get a job. I think it's because WWF was a well-run operation and WCW was a shambles.

I can kinda relate to Tony on that though, I'm absolutely terrible at keeping in touch with people and sometimes it gets to the point where it would seem almost intrusive to do so.

I was going "meet" my old college mate from New York the other day for a talk on Skype, but I had to go out and so bounced it, and said we'd re-arrange, but then haven't got round to it, despite Facebook being right there. And we have no beef. Now I've said this I'll probably make an effort, but the more usual thing would be to let it drift. A week goes on. A week after. Soon the idea of the call becomes a distant memory.

But I'm not really a phone guy. If a friend phones me, sometimes I'll just leave it ring because the idea of taking it seems like an ordeal. I don't like just "having a chat" over the phone. Do I look like a girl to you? If there is no purpose to the call, I tend not to like it. Tried to change this a while back, but have now reverted to type. Can't do it. I'll talk to my mum or my girlfriend on the phone, but not to my mate. If I see someone every day in work, or in a regular thing, it's a bit different. But if they've moved away, I see a call as a massive "to do", and basically would rather not.

If Tony is like that, and he seems like he is, you can see how he might not pick up the phone.

We got Good JR again this week. A very enjoyable show. I didn't realize Hansen had that much respect for Dr. Death. There were a few times Ross tried to talk over Hansen but wisely backed down and it made for a great interview. Just like last week's show it seems like it would be better in two parts.

Next week.....Vince Russo!!

Yeah, it's a pity JR still crowbars in his rants, even when Hansen said he doesn't watch today's product.

Great interview, but I felt like it only scratched the surface. I'd love to hear Hansen speak more extensively about Japan, but an interview like this always seems to lean back on generalities.

Good JR......bad Russo. JR seemed to really be prepared but Russo was very long winded and told the same stories he told on Austin's podcast. To JR's credit he did ask about TNA but Russo said he couldn't talk about it. JR also seemed to ask more direct and pointed questions when he could but Russo took forever to make his point.

Next week......Bill Watts!!!!