Pro Wrestling Only

WWE Network... It's Here

goodhelmet

Apparently the Undertaker is lined up as a guest for an Austin podcast in the coming months. Never, ever thought I'd see them break kayfabe there, much less before calling it a day on his career.

I wonder if he is planning to formally announce his retirement on the podcast....or maybe that WM 32 will be his last match or something.

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having Austin back is great - Jericho interviewing Undertaker would most likely be a letdown.

They also uploaded the ECW invades RAW episode from 1997. I haven't seen that in ages. I remember being blow away by it back in the day and then being upset at the lack of follow up on it.

Still waiting for the magical day in which they start uploading non WWF 80s stuff regularly. I imagine that in 2-3 years we'll have threads where we'll discuss eveyrthing that happened during a specific week and month of 1983 (or something) on the weekly TV of every promotion that they own.

That's enough to make me ready to cancel my sub, to be honest, and I'm someone who originally thought everyone who could should subscribe just to help it become successful because of its potential to churn out hidden gems and transform what WWE currently is into something better. I had this pipe dream in my head that they would eventually add their entire library. Ha!

That's enough to make me ready to cancel my sub, to be honest, and I'm someone who originally thought everyone who could should subscribe just to help it become successful because of its potential to churn out hidden gems and transform what WWE currently is into something better. I had this pipe dream in my head that they would eventually add their entire library. Ha!

It really wasn't remotely deluded to expect something BETTER, though. Being at least as good as Classics on Demand and/or Classics Online in terms of the trickle of archival content, possible hidden gems showing up, etc. isn't THAT high a standard to aspire to. Especially when Classics on Demand was killed when WWE Network was launched (though it had slowed down quite a while before that).

I think the Network has a great value for people who are really into the current product, which is the smarter choice and definitely the better dollar to chase than people who don't even watch anymore but you hope will buy the Network to see old NWA footage.

On the other hand I still think they have done a shitty job highlighting the older footage and that there is still potential it could draw SOME people to the Network.

Not to mention they have the power via television to condition people to seek out older footage. It's the same basic principle of how they link in a HOF induction with a DVD.

When Bret made an appearance on Raw the other week the commentary started referencing some of his classic matches: it baffles me they didn't mention the fact that fans can watch them all on the network - never mind the possibility of a quick 15 second video package they could have run later.

As they have hours and hours of footage pretty much ready to go I imagine that someday somebody will decide to randomly upload some 80s stuff, perhaps once they run out of old Raws and they finish uploading all Nitro episodes. Maybe NWA Saturday Night or the entire catalog of WWWF/WWF MSG shows. I don't expect it to happen this year at all but at some point they will run out of ideas to get people to sign up.

I mentioned this same thing months ago but UFC still keep putting new live shows on their Fight Pass but also keep buying old footage: they acquired a shitload of libraries early in the year (which they haven't released yet but Marshall said that it wasn't going to be immminent) and they recently bought the IVC events from Brazil, which those in the 90s will remember for their crazy violent brawls with legal headbutts and legal nut shots (Goodridge vs The Pedro).

Are MMA and wrestling fans all that different? Who do you trust to listen to feedback and produce unbiased analysis? And who do you expect to go back to the same old preconceived mantras?

I think Classics on Demand was kind of a passion project by some of the people who work there, where as the Network is the crown jewel of Vince's empire. They decided they want to live or die on original programming even if means the original programming is a bunch of shitty shoe string budget productions.

The Network saves me at least $40 a month......nuff said

It's a tremendous deal for current fans and people who used to buy every or almost every PPV.

Even for somebody like me (I stopped watching WWE months ago) it's still a great deal because I travel a lot and all of this great stuff is available in HQ from my laptop or ipad. I can pop in a random Nitro, COTC or SNME to put me to sleep when I'm jet lagged somewhere in a different continent.

Like Loss (and others here at the start) I also had this pipe dream that they'd end up putting all kinds of cool weekly TV there, including their own programs, as well as keep bringing up rare treasures from their vast library. However instead we have a product with a terrible interface, a random upload schedule (and you won't find up what's new unless you go to the unofficial tracker accounts on reddit or twitter) and no pre-Attitude era content. At this point I don't care too much and I don't use the WWE Network much unless I'm travelling. I'll keep watching Georgia and Memphis on youtube as long as they don't take them down.

If they were smart they'd create a premium tier where they charge you 5 or 6 extra bucks for regular old territory TV, MSG shows and Coliseum video releases. They have enough content to milk that cow for decades if they want. And if you don't care, you can keep watching your PPV's, Stern Show, etc. for 9.99.

Then again I doubt they even have the technology now to have a separate premium tier, as silly as that sounds.

If they were smart they'd create a premium tier where they charge you 5 or 6 extra bucks for regular old territory TV, MSG shows and Coliseum video releases. They have enough content to milk that cow for decades if they want. And if you don't care, you can keep watching your PPV's, Stern Show, etc. for 9.99.

I'd say that would be far from smart for them. So much of their marketing was the whole 9.99 thing (without telling people what they are fully getting for their money - quite wrongly to my above point). The last thing they want to be doing is introducing tiers (i.e. confusion) into the market place. They would put themselves in a position where if they were smart enough to start plugging archive footage, they would then have to bang on about a tier payment system. It would cause more problems than it's worth.

I totally get how adding old content people like us want isn't going to get the subscriber counts they want, but I can't figure out why they seem to believe its a zero sum game. They can continue to add all the shitty, zany, "original" programming they want and try to grab the lapsed Attitude Era fans and still throw a bone to the people wanting to watch 80s JCP shows. I get not wanting to spend the time doing all the music edits for Mid South and WCCW stuff, but there's a metric shit-ton of stuff that was already uploaded on 24/7 that's ready to go and they just sit on it. It's mind boggling unless it's some "Vince hates southern rasslin" nonsense at play.

I am surprised by how little I use this thing considering I would have killed to have it three or four years ago. I think the only two times I've used it this month were for the Cinco de Mayo playlist and Payback. (And honestly, the playlist felt closer to a $40 value than the PPV). I just wish they would do something to throw the diehards a bone every now and again. If they were doing new Legends of Wrestling roundtables every month, I would have no problem letting this come out of my bank account. Right now, I have no incentive to renew.

I'd say that would be far from smart for them. So much of their marketing was the whole 9.99 thing (without telling people what they are fully getting for their money - quite wrongly to my above point). The last thing they want to be doing is introducing tiers (i.e. confusion) into the market place. They would put themselves in a position where if they were smart enough to start plugging archive footage, they would then have to bang on about a tier payment system. It would cause more problems than it's worth.

I'd go back to the root of the problem - the whole 9.99 gimmicky marketing was a terrible idea because they screwed themselves out of the tiers and of basic service price increases anytime soon. I can't imagine numbers would be too different if it was 14.99 instead of 9.99, and the lower number would be offset by the people who will subscribe 12 months a year paying more. At some point growth will stop (if it already hasn't) and shareholders will push them to make more money out of it.

It's mind boggling unless it's some "Vince hates southern rasslin" nonsense at play.

I believe that the people handling programming aren't from the wrestling business, and the people who know about wrestling are too scared to mention it because they'll get laughed at the notion that people want to watch rasslin from dark smoke filled studios full of drunks.

Somehow it slipped past my radar (mainly because I was still looking at the 1996 section like a dumb ass), but a bunch of 1997 Raws are up now. Still no Nitros, but I'll take what I can get at this point.

Well, they only added them the last couple of days.

Check this out:

http://www.reddit.com/user/WWE_Network_Bot

Daily updates on what's new. There's a twitter bot as well. It's an unofficial bot - just a smart kid that created a few scripts that look new stuff up on the servers every few minutes.