Pro Wrestling Only

WWE Network... It's Here

goodhelmet

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No chapters on Apple TV... I mostly watch from Sony Bravia due to that.

Catching up today on Countdown as I hadn't watched the last three or four. Talking about International Superstars, they ask Vince McMahon where is parts unknown, and he says with a completely straight face "It's in between Venus and Uranus... maybe closer to Uranus". That made me laugh.

I think the length of shows in the 80s was determined more by the capacity of VHS tape than anything else. Most of the JCP shows that went three hours got butchered to hell on home video, perhaps Vince was just thinking ahead since I'm sure that was a big revenue stream at the time.

Mania I was basically a typical MSG card with celebrities added. That's how long MSG cards went. It's no more complex than that

There was also a Ranger hockey game that night, so the event had to be squeezed into an afternoon time slot.

That's probably the most unbelievable part of it all. Not only is the card briskly paced, but it wasn't the "main attraction" so to speak, or only event as the case has been for the most part, for the arena that day.

When was the first boxing closed circuit event?

I want to say it was the 1st Floyd Patterson vs. Ingemar Johansson fight in 1959.

Wow, that long ago huh? I wonder if those events included the entire card, I mean you wouldn't have expected JUST Ali-Frazier going to MSG on 3/8/1971 so why would only their fight be shown on the closed circuit broadcast. Sure the bout went 15 rounds and over an hour, but what if it turned into Tyson-Spinks?

Come to think of it, why the hell aren't entire boxing card rundowns as memorable as the main attraction?

OE: UGH! Been trying to find some sort of reference site that could tell me what other boxing matches, if any, went on at The Garden on 3/8/1971 besides Ali-Frazier I...if only there was a Graham Cawthon for boxing cards! Seriously, I refuse to believe MSG or the promoters of that iconic bout would have put all their eggs in the "this is going the distance" basket and not have a full card of 2 or more matches for the world wide audiences to enjoy that night.

I mean if it turned out to be a 2 minute first round knockout or TKO, that could have been as devastating to The Sweet Science as any number of reasons for the decline of boxing in the last 30 or so years.

http://boxrec.com/date_search.php?yyyy=1971&mm=03&dd=08

In terms of a boxing match bombing, it'd be hard to match Tyson/Holyfield II. Fans were PISSED after that one.

LOL! Of course. But the most hyped and most heavily promoted boxing match, probably of all-time even still to this day, ending in only a round or two, would have been a bit crippling. Maybe not to the sport itself (unless one of the two pulled a Tyson that night) and certainly both men had the gravitas to rebound from such a defeat (and Ali would have had the built in excuse of ring rust), but to the Garden as a Big Fight venue.

OE: WOW! Never knew The Greatest had a brother who also boxed.

http://boxrec.com/date_search.php?yyyy=1971&mm=03&dd=08

In terms of a boxing match bombing, it'd be hard to match Tyson/Holyfield II. Fans were PISSED after that one.

LOL! Of course. But the most hyped and most heavily promoted boxing match, probably of all-time even still to this day, ending in only a round or two, would have been a bit crippling. Maybe not to the sport itself (unless one of the two pulled a Tyson that night) and certainly both men had the gravitas to rebound from such a defeat (and Ali would have had the built in excuse of ring rust), but to the Garden as a Big Fight venue.

OE: WOW! Never knew The Greatest had a brother who also boxed.

Look at Louis/Schmeling. Two minutes, 80,000 at Yankee Stadium and no one (of non-German heritage) felt cheated. Fans will accept a short contest given that it's a sport. They only get upset if they feel it's dishonest.

I really hope this isn't true, but MetsFan4Ever stated that the WWE deep down feels that WCW Monday Nitro was FAR superior to RAW in 1997, and they don't want WCW to have too much attention. Thus, right now anyway, they're in no rush to upload more episodes.

I really hope this isn't true, but MetsFan4Ever stated that the WWE deep down feels that WCW Monday Nitro was FAR superior to RAW in 1997, and they don't want WCW to have too much attention. Thus, right now anyway, they're in no rush to upload more episodes.

For fucks sake, WCW no longer exists...who cares if they get attention...they own fucking WCW!! If this is true, the issues run way deeper than I ever imagined.

For fucks sake, WCW no longer exists...who cares if they get attention...they own fucking WCW!! If this is true, the issues run way deeper than I ever imagined.

That guy is full of shit.

That guy is full of shit.

Raw was really good in 1997 too, I wouldn't put any stock in that.

Raw was a really weird mixed bag in 1997 where you had some really awesome stuff with Austin & The Hart Foundation, and the Undertaker/Paul Bearer stuff was good too but going back not that long ago and watching some of it, there was still a lot of of crap like New Blackjacks, Godwinns, The Sultan, Rockabilly, the super weak Light Heavyweight division they started, The Truth Commission, Gang Warz. I think Nitro was still definitely better overall in 1997.

I want to say it was the 1st Floyd Patterson vs. Ingemar Johansson fight in 1959.

Wow, that long ago huh? I wonder if those events included the entire card, I mean you wouldn't have expected JUST Ali-Frazier going to MSG on 3/8/1971 so why would only their fight be shown on the closed circuit broadcast. Sure the bout went 15 rounds and over an hour, but what if it turned into Tyson-Spinks?

Come to think of it, why the hell aren't entire boxing card rundowns as memorable as the main attraction?

OE: UGH! Been trying to find some sort of reference site that could tell me what other boxing matches, if any, went on at The Garden on 3/8/1971 besides Ali-Frazier I...if only there was a Graham Cawthon for boxing cards! Seriously, I refuse to believe MSG or the promoters of that iconic bout would have put all their eggs in the "this is going the distance" basket and not have a full card of 2 or more matches for the world wide audiences to enjoy that night.

I mean if it turned out to be a 2 minute first round knockout or TKO, that could have been as devastating to The Sweet Science as any number of reasons for the decline of boxing in the last 30 or so years.

That's just silly. It's a fight. It can be over in one punch. People know that going in. It may not be as revered as it is today, but to suggest it would have been "devastating" or "crippling" shows a fundamental misunderstanding of the sport.

That's just silly. It's a fight. It can be over in one punch. People know that going in. It may not be as revered as it is today, but to suggest it would have been "devastating" or "crippling" shows a fundamental misunderstanding of the sport.

Fair enough, I was thinking more about how it was so heavily promoted, and got tons of mainstream publicity, that it could have been considered as laughable as, say that Evil Kinevil stunt that became an epic fail if say Frazier ended it with a first round KO. I'll admit that I'm overstating it, especially in light of events that ended quickly years before, and since, but I'm probably factoring the whole era that the fight was in, and what kind of mainstream event it was. To say nothing about rumors and whispers would swirl about the loser "taking a dive."

I also went overboard based on the wrong assumption that it was the ONLY match on the docket that night at MSG. Which seems like how legit fighting sports histories tend to be recorded as.