Pro Wrestling Only

WWE Network... It's Here

goodhelmet

Most of the new shows look like doggers, but 1,000 more hours of wrestling content sounds good.

When you realise that they are soon moving to 2 hrs Raw and Nitro probably half of that is going to be a bit more than two years of each and a couple of years of ECW TV.

Will be great to have all of that there in perfect VQ available a few clicks away though.

It's great news for the company that they are finally getting around to producing things that make them stand out but the new content makes them look desperate to somehow recapture their late 90s crash TV glory days.

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing that got me about that press release was they basically buried the news of monthly NXT specials at the bottom, despite NXT having a big weekend and proving to be a hit with Netowrk subscribers. Meanwhile, they were much more concerned with trumpeting a bunch of shitty-sounding reality shows that all sound like they've missed the cultural Zeitgeist of populist TV by at least 15 years. Jerry's Springer's Too Hot for TV? Really? Diva Search to get women to sign up? Holy fuck.

The thing that got me about that press release was they basically buried the news of monthly NXT specials at the bottom, despite NXT having a big weekend and proving to be a hit with Netowrk subscribers. Meanwhile, they were much more concerned with trumpeting a bunch of shitty-sounding reality shows that all sound like they've missed the cultural Zeitgeist of populist TV by at least 15 years. Jerry's Springer's Too Hot for TV? Really? Diva Search to get women to sign up? Holy fuck.

And that Jackass/Punk'd type show or whatever it's going to be. I genuinely don't know who they're for.

See, I used to watch some of those shows back when I was in college and things like YouTube didn't exist and I had limited channel options. Jackass, Punk'd, the Contender, The Osbournes, Family Guy, sometimes Springer as background noise when everything else had informercials on, etc. Thing is, those kind of shows all seem like the key influences of the shows WWE have just announced, like they all seem to belong to that kind of era and that kind of TV, whether it's crass humour, shock TV, reality, hidden camera... and then I remembered I was in college in 2000. TWO-FUCKING-THOUSAND.

I guess it's cheaper than producing cinematic-styled drama or fantasy/adventure shows like are popular now (and I can only imagine the kind of Network shows we'll get in 2030 when WWE tap into 2015's popular culture - "The Adventures of Jacob Goodnight", "The Marine: Miami" and a WWE-ised version of Total Wipeout I imagine), but the whole thing smacks of trying to recapture the lapsed Attitude Era fans instead of appealing to their current audience of pesky millennials. It's like they're going with the old Vince Russo philosophy of "How can we make something that appeals to people who couldn't give a shit about wrestling" without realising they're alienating a larger audience who bought the Network for the WRESTLING content.

I get that they might think "Hey, it'll be easier for you to convince your girlfriend the subscription is worth it since we've got shows that appeal to her too!", but come on. How many people is that really going to be a dealbreaker for? I can't imagine it'd be more than than the hardcores who would love Mid South TV or WCWSN to show up in the archive, and that's a much cheaper option since you don't have to, you know, actually go out and shoot it.

Maybe I'm in the minority here but I think branching off into content that is WWE related but not WRESTLING focused is a real nice move. Takes it from a wrestling vault to feeling more like a NETWORK of program derived from WWE. That being said they are pulling most of this content from stuff that was popular a decade ago and not very interesting in 2015.

It's not really a wrestling vault though. It should be, but they have hundreds of thousands of hours of wrestling content and just they just leave it sitting in their actual vault. New content is necessary, and I have no problems with the shows announced, but allow the Network to turn into an actual vault of wrestling footage too.

I'd be more inclined to agree it was an actual TV channel, but it's a subscription service catering to a niche interest. No way is anyone signing up to what they'll still see as a wrestling network just because Jerry Springer and Seth Green have daft little wrestling-related shows on it.

Eh, whatever. Just don't watch it. I probably won't watch any of it, but I don't begrudge them for making some different stuff and throwing it on the Network.

Eh, whatever. See, I can be lazily dismissive too!

I wasn't being lazy. It just seemed like a silly thing to complain about. It's like, I pay for my DirecTV package. There's a shitload of channels on there that I don't watch or even know what they are. I just don't watch them. They are options, but that's all. Just like this. It's just coming from such a place of base WWE hate.

I'm going to watch the piss out of Corey Graves trying food ALL OVER THE WORLD! As someone who genuinely enjoy's No Reservations, this show could fill that niche with some wrestling bits mixed in. Not sure if it'll be mini-segments or full-on shows though if it is the latter then I already am not having high expectations for decent new content that doesn't involve lazily approaching decade old pop culture people.

Also, any news on what stuff they're going to do for Rivalries? I know they'll have new episodes was just interested in what since I'm pulling for non-WWE ones.

....or it could be coming from a place where other specialized sports networks like NFL/NHL/MLB or even streaming services like Fight Pass don't flood themselves with content not related to the core sport/brand/whatever. Not everything stems from WWE hate.

They added that missing Raw from September to almost be consistent. They're still missing the 1/1/96 episode.

If I remember correctly 1/1/96 was a year in review show or something and they just aired a ppv match from 95.

I think the Raw Bowl was 1/1/96 and the week before they aired the Bulldog-Bret match and spent all week hyping that you would see a five-alarm blade job on cable TV. Just a few weeks before Vince sent his Strongly Worded Letter to Turner about the grotesque self-mutiliation taking place on Nitro.

How much footage did they air from Wrestlemania weekend on the Network?

From what ive seen

WWE Wrestlemania Kickoff 2hrs

WWE Wrestlemania 4hrs

WWE Hall of Fame 4hrs

WWE Hall of Fame Red Carpet 40 mins

WWE Wrestlemania Today Thurs & Fri 4hrs

I did see 4 Wrestlemania videos that ranged from 4 - 11 minutes showing the arena before the event started with interviews.

Did WWE release anything else or is that it?