Pro Wrestling Only

Good Free TV Matches from Attitude Era?

Kronos

We're crazy spoiled for good free TV WWE wrestling these days -- with good matches almost guaranteed across every one of the five shows a week.

During the Attitude Era (1996-01?), it was crash TV, with a lot of run ins and 3-min matches. It's kind of the updated version of the classic WWF tv model from the 70s-80s.

But surely there were some worthwhile matches from WWF across that roughly 5 year period? What are they?

All from RAW, all I haven't seen in years, and all are matches I think that will probably look more "fun" than "good" now:

Foley vs Funk - 5/4/98

Rock vs Mankind - 2/15/99 (Ladder Match)

10-man tag - 2/7/00

HHH vs Jericho - 6/12/00

Austin vs Benoit - 11/20/00

Rock/Jericho vs Benoit/Show - 01/22/01

There was some crazy tag match from around Fully Loaded 1998 with, I think, Kane/Mankind, Austin/Taker, the Outlaws and Rock and Dlo that really stood out to me at the time.

I would also shorten the parameters of this to pre 2000, as the departure of Russo, the arrival of the Radicals and the ascendency of Edge, Christian, the Hardy's and Angle led to longer matches with less run ins and nonsense. I could easily pick decent TV stuff from 00-01 but really struggle for 98-99 fwiw.

I would also shorten the parameters of this to pre 2000, as the departure of Russo, the arrival of the Radicals and the ascendency of Edge, Christian, the Hardy's and Angle led to longer matches with less run ins and nonsense. I could easily pick decent TV stuff from 00-01 but really struggle for 98-99 fwiw.

That certainly fits with Loss's list, which skews post-Russo, too.

This may be a completely wacky pick, but Al Snow vs. Road Dogg for the Hardcore title at a Raw in, I think, Cleveland (RD was the champ). I don't think I've seen it since it aired but I immediately thought it stood out in a positive way from the myriad other Hardcore matches of the time.

This may be a completely wacky pick, but Al Snow vs. Road Dogg for the Hardcore title at a Raw in, I think, Cleveland (RD was the champ). I don't think I've seen it since it aired but I immediately thought it stood out in a positive way from the myriad other Hardcore matches of the time.

Was that the one where they fought out onto the snowy streets? If it's the same one, I liked that very much. Great wrestling, no. Unique, yes.

Guest TheGreatPuma

At the time, to my knowledge this was the first match on TV/Non PPV in a loooong time that went over X amount of minutes in a match. When 2000 arrived we were breaking away from the scary "Nobody likes boring wrestling, Everybody only likes attitude/ exciting shock factor/it factor mentality" of 1998 and 1999 especially thanks to the Radicals, Jericho, Angle, Hardyz, Rock and others. At this time I felt it was finally being shown to everyone that people have and always will like wrestling. This match felt like one of those breakthroughs as it symbolised the WWF not being scared to have a match over 3 minutes long like in the Attitude times. After this we saw more matches being able to break X amount of minutes in time. And now in 2014 as time has shown since than people still love their wrestling matches. 1999 though was a scary time to be a wrestling fan. The thought process of hating the wrestling and loving everything else was prominent. It was tough and scary at the time for various reasons to know how prominent that thought process would become.

Since the thread starter included 1996 & 1997 in his "Attitude Era", I'd say there was a bunch of good stuff from those years that hasn't been mentioned in this thread.

Most of it involving the Harts, Austin, DX & Mankind.

That's why I included a question mark in my year range. I was really thinking about the WWF side of the MNW, and I used "Attitude Era" as a catch-all term.

At the time, to my knowledge this was the first match on TV/Non PPV in a loooong time that went over X amount of minutes in a match. When 2000 arrived we were breaking away from the scary "Nobody likes boring wrestling, Everybody only likes attitude/ exciting shock factor/it factor mentality" of 1998 and 1999 especially thanks to the Radicals, Jericho, Angle, Hardyz, Rock and others.

I would say that the main reason things began to change in 2000 was because of Smackdown. With just the 2 hours of Raw in the late 90's then the whole show was taken up with angles, skits and promos. There wasn't any time left for the matches. When Smackdown came along there were now two weekly 2 hour shows featuring all the top stars. The first few months in 99 were crash TV with loads of title changes and far too much going on. The writers figured out that there was so much happening it wasn't sustainable. So in 2000 they realised that there was plenty of time each week for all the 20m promos and wacky attitude era shit that they wanted to do. And if the matches were a bit longer then that's the extra TV time taken care of.