Pro Wrestling Only

Matches you love, but others don't

BillThompson

Got this idea from the Matches you must love, but don't topic. Basically, we all have matches we love that others don't seem to care much for. What are some of yours?

I'll start things off with Lord Steven Regal versus Ricky Steamboat from WCW Fall Brawl '93. It's not a famous match or anything, but I thought it was a really great match. Yet, the overwhelming majority I read about it pins it as disappointing, or at the very best merely good. It has its fans, but we seem to be very few.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’ve always had a soft spot for the Triple H vs. Big Show match from the Feb 13th 2006 episode of Raw. Show is the size of a house and looks to be in a pretty bad way, but gives a great performance as the surly giant chucking HHH around like a rag-doll and then working over his hand. Hunter barely gets any offence in for the first third of the match before pushing Show face first into the ring post, resulting in a crimson mask. From there he just works him over with knees and punches to the forehead.

After awhile the match breaks down into a brawl on the outside which results in a double count out, after which Show spears Triple H through the barricade leaving him folded over in an horrendous looking position.

I remember loving this match when I first saw it, I revisit it every now and again half expecting it to not live up to my memories, but it always hits the spot. I think it’s a fun little brawl, and one I never see anyone else talk about.

Got this idea from the Matches you must love, but don't topic. Basically, we all have matches we love that others don't seem to care much for. What are some of yours?

I'll start things off with Lord Steven Regal versus Ricky Steamboat from WCW Fall Brawl '93. It's not a famous match or anything, but I thought it was a really great match. Yet, the overwhelming majority I read about it pins it as disappointing, or at the very best merely good. It has its fans, but we seem to be very few.

I'm one. I dig that match. The story telling mixed in with the execution of work. Plus we get a pretty kick ass finish that's very satisfying.

Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Kazushi Sakuraba at Wrestle Kingdom 7.

Most of my fellow Puro fans aren't keen on it. A lot of that might have to do with their staunch aversion to non-wrestlers having a presence on cards in exhibition matches. The recent hate for the Gracie's has been unreal, although that's to be expected, since they are incapable of performing a wrestling match!

Sakuraba on the other hand is excellent, the crowd through his contest with Nakamura at 7 were on fire. Every submission attempt, every time Sakuraba got the advantage, people were cheering. They really bought into his MMA history and disbelief was suspended, because on more than one occasion, it seemed Nakamura might actually lose. The respect shown by Nakamura in that match, his incredible selling for a non-wrestler was magnificent.

On this side of the globe, I'm partial to Brock Lesnar vs. Big Show at Survivor Series 2002. Even though the match was pretty sucky and ended screwy, it gave Lesnar an opportunity to show just how strong he really is. The sight of Lesnar suplexing the very, very heavy (he was easily over 500lbs at this time) Big Show over his head, catching him with German's and executing the F5 was one hell of a showcase.

The Rock vs Rikishi from Survivor Series 2000. Rikishi is just a nasty fucker, relentlessly working over a body part all match with The Rock selling it brilliantly. Such a smartly worked, well paced match, only goes about twelve minutes but is emotional, hate filled and non stop, lots of heat as well. Easily the best match Rikishi ever had.

Kenta Kobasi/Makoto Hashi vs Jun Akiyama/Yoshinobu Kanemaru from NOAH in 2005 is another match I love as well, which doesn't get talked about much. Akiyama is in full on grumpy bully mode.

Most of my fellow Puro fans aren't keen on it. A lot of that might have to do with their staunch aversion to non-wrestlers having a presence on cards in exhibition matches. The recent hate for the Gracie's has been unreal, although that's to be expected, since they are incapable of performing a wrestling match!

Sakuraba on the other hand is excellent, the crowd through his contest with Nakamura at 7 were on fire. Every submission attempt, every time Sakuraba got the advantage, people were cheering. They really bought into his MMA history and disbelief was suspended, because on more than one occasion, it seemed Nakamura might actually lose. The respect shown by Nakamura in that match, his incredible selling for a non-wrestler was magnificent.

On this side of the globe, I'm partial to Brock Lesnar vs. Big Show at Survivor Series 2002. Even though the match was pretty sucky and ended screwy, it gave Lesnar an opportunity to show just how strong he really is. The sight of Lesnar suplexing the very, very heavy (he was easily over 500lbs at this time) Big Show over his head, catching him with German's and executing the F5 was one hell of a showcase.

Man I LOVED this one. At the end of the year it was kind of overshadowed by some of the IWGP title and G1 matches, but last January this was so exciting and different from anything going on in the Tanahashi/Okada realm that I was sure it'd be a top MOTY finisher. No complaints that it didn't get there, but this built incredibly well and was so smartly laid out.

I feel like if Nakamura is going to work matches like that, he needs to change his look -- get rid of the long hair, put on some kick pads, etc. It's an aesthetic thing I can't get past.

I can't argue with that point, but I love the way Nakamura rocks the look, the MJ pants and the whole gimmick. Absolutely mark for his gimmick all of the time. It doesn't exactly jibe with how he worked the Sakuraba match, but I think he's pretty consistent in his style and approach once the bell rings every time out that it doesn't take away from the overall presentation.

Bret vs. Undertaker from the 1996 Royal Rumble was pretty much panned, I don't even think it made the Yearbook in full. But I thought it was really well done. UT found a way to work in Bret's no nonsense wrestling approach into his tried and true formula that he'd been using for years against giant monsters.

Nakamura/Sakuraba strikes me as a rather odd choice. From what I've seen, that match has received close to universal praise.

As for me, I'm one of the few who rates the Savage/Warrior Summerslam match above their WM7 match. And I'm probably the only person who rates Hogan/Andre at least as highly as Hansen/Andre.

One for me would be The Steiners vs. Money Inc. in a cage from August of 93. I know most dislike the lack of blood, for me it works great without it. Using the cage as a choking device at times really delivers the message that both teams will do whatever it takes to win. They have a lot of fun escape spots throughout along with a great finish spot. DiBiase is probably the weakest guy in the match which tells you how hard the others work. Great match IMO.

Nakamura/Sakuraba strikes me as a rather odd choice. From what I've seen, that match has received close to universal praise.

I know some rather 'purist' Puro aficionados who despise most of the guys who came in from MMA and pan their matches for the shoot style elements...

... Seriously, there's people out there like this. They mocked me for rating it as my favorite match of the card.

Sakuraba was a UWFI wrestler from 93-96. The reasoning here makes no sense at all. Why would the fans not believe an MMA legend could defeat a pro-wrestler? In the 00's multiple MMA stars held the IWGP title.

The Rock vs Rikishi from Survivor Series 2000. Rikishi is just a nasty fucker, relentlessly working over a body part all match with The Rock selling it brilliantly. Such a smartly worked, well paced match, only goes about twelve minutes but is emotional, hate filled and non stop, lots of heat as well. Easily the best match Rikishi ever had.

A lot of people rate this match. I do highly. It stole the show, nobody thought that would be happening at the time.

I know some rather 'purist' Puro aficionados who despise most of the guys who came in from MMA and pan their matches for the shoot style elements...

... Seriously, there's people out there like this. They mocked me for rating it as my favorite match of the card.

I love the idea of "purists" who have no understanding of New Japan's history or that of Sakuraba.