Pro Wrestling Only

Matches you love, but others don't

BillThompson

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really love Bret Hart's match with Piper at Wrestlemania VIII. I have a hard time seeing Bret Hart as an all-time great worker and usually find him very underwhelming, but I think this was the best WWF match of 1992. At least from what I've seen. I never really hear much about that match and it always gets overshadowed by the Flair/Savage match from that night, which I don't think is anywhere near as good.

I absolutely love the Shane Douglas/Al Snow match from Wrestlepalooza '98.

Between the legitimate injuries Shane had going into it, the ridiculousness with which the head was over, and the fact that everyone though Snow was winning the belt that night, the atmosphere was awesome, the build up had been good, and while the work was probably neither mans best, the story they told was a good one.

I really love Bret Hart's match with Piper at Wrestlemania VIII. I have a hard time seeing Bret Hart as an all-time great worker and usually find him very underwhelming, but I think this was the best WWF match of 1992. At least from what I've seen. I never really hear much about that match and it always gets overshadowed by the Flair/Savage match from that night, which I don't think is anywhere near as good.

Yeah. But everyone loves that match. :) Wrong thread.

I think it's a great match, but the ending is botched pretty badly and upon rewatch does not come off well at all.

I agree. It's a really good match, no question, but the ending always bugged me too. Vader was built up at a MONSTER for pretty all of 93 and I just never liked the idea that he lost on a rollup!!! Especially since it looked so bad too.

Flair vs. Vader is an all-time classic that made me tear up.

My pick for this thread would probably be some of the DiBiase vs. Savage matches from 1988, I seem to be a lot higher on them than most people. Think those two had tremendous chemistry.

Seemingly, I'm the only person in the world who likes Flair vs. Scott Steiner from Clash 14 as well.

I feel like if Flair's win had been too decisive, it might have taken from the moment, whereas the fluke nature of the finish enhanced it. Flair didn't win the match so much as he survived it. It took everything he had and he barely escaped with a win. They were working with the idea of doing a rematch in February, which is ideally where you do the more convincing finish since the feud was being blown off, but SuperBrawl IV is another story.

The execution of it was a little sloppy, but I don't think it was so sloppy that it negated the 20 minutes of work that preceded it. Perhaps there are better ways to work a fluke finish than what they did, but I just think the idea of that dragging the entire match down is a little much.

So I do get the criticism of that spot and the match would probably be even better with a better finish, but it's just not enough for me to throw out everything that came before it.

I feel like if Flair's win had been too decisive, it might have taken from the moment, whereas the fluke nature of the finish enhanced it. Flair didn't win the match so much as he survived it. It took everything he had and he barely escaped with a win. They were working with the idea of doing a rematch in February, which is ideally where you do the more convincing finish since the feud was being blown off, but SuperBrawl IV is another story.

The execution of it was a little sloppy, but I don't think it was so sloppy that it negated the 20 minutes of work that preceded it. Perhaps there are better ways to work a fluke finish than what they did, but I just think the idea of that dragging the entire match down is a little much.

So I do get the criticism of that spot and the match would probably be even better with a better finish, but it's just not enough for me to throw out everything that came before it.

That's a very fair point, Loss. And it's true to the story they were telling for Flair "surviving" Vader, rather than beating him. I guess I just feel it went a bit against Vader's monsterness (not a word, but whatever) during that year a bit.

Still a great match, but not an all-timer for me. Maybe it's just my overwhelm Vader-love.

I absolutely love the Shane Douglas/Al Snow match from Wrestlepalooza '98.

Between the legitimate injuries Shane had going into it, the ridiculousness with which the head was over, and the fact that everyone though Snow was winning the belt that night, the atmosphere was awesome, the build up had been good, and while the work was probably neither mans best, the story they told was a good one.

For years, this has been one of those "secret matches I loved that everyone else missed". Then I got the network and rematched it. I was disappointed.

This would have been the match I'd list for "matches you thought were good but rediscovery disappointed you." I don't think we have that thread yet.

It has been a while since I watched them, but at the time I really loved the Bryan Danielson vs. Delirious matches during Bryan's ROH title run. I haven't heard anyone say anything bad about them, but they are some of my favorite matches and I've never heard them get the love that a lot of the bigger-name Danielson title matches get.

I would like to know why the people who don't like Flair vs Vader at Starrcade '93 hate life and themselves. It's become a polarizing match over the years because people are trolling me. No other reason.

There are people that don't like this match!? Unreal. I'm with you in any event.

Nobuhiko Takada vs. the Cobra from NJPW '86 was a pimped match for awhile, but during the '80s Project it inspired some true raw, visceral HATE from a lot of people. A lot of people had it in last place, and it may even have finished there. I was as down on Tiger Mask and Junior Koshinaka as much as anyone, but I still thought that match was very good, though not as great as I once thought. Cobra at least brought some selling to the proceedings, which put it several leagues ahead of many Sayama matches.

Of all the Mid-South Coliseum matches I want to see in full, bizarrely enough one near the top of the list is the Lawler-Papa Shango Unified title match. The action we saw looked awesome and I'm pretty confident it would end up being the best Charles Wright match ever.