Pro Wrestling Only

Kane? Really?

Smack2k

WOW...

You can dress a pig but its still a pig...

Kane ISNT scary anymore...he can beat up Bryan all he wants...we all know he aint winning and this is once a year "thanks for being a team player" title shot and mini-push..

Sad this is what they give Daniel after Mania...kills his steam.

Kane in a mask? Really? Come on....WWE you are better than that...

THis blows..

Cole can sell this all he wants and they can make it as "savage" and call him a "demon"...its fuckin Kane...old ass retread Kane.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I liked it. In fact it made me do a 180 on the Kane/Bryan match and I'm looking forward to it now. I know we're only 30 minutes in but this really feels like a return to form after last week (even though that form isn't terribly well established).

Lost opportunity not allowing Brie Bella to celebrate in the ring with Daniel Bryan at WMXXX, but instead now.

It's lazy booking having Bryan wrestle Kane and have Kane attack him like the Big Red Monster, which is the routine they have done for years. At the end of the day, if you have to get Kane over, this was probably the best and only way.

I thought it would be alright as a placeholder feud, but that segment didn't come over great. Daniel Bryan came accross really weak, not sure they should be selling him as an underdog champion this early, it sets the tone for his reign and also goes against the narrative they set at Wrestlemania where he beat all the top guys cleanly. He shouldn't go from that to being easily dismantled by a guy who himself was squashed at the last PPV.

The tombstone looks really fake, too, as it has to in order to be safe, which didn't help the lack of a sense of realism and danger. Starting to think they should have run a feud with Wade Barrett or somebody they want to elevate down the line.

Stephanie wasn't very good in this scene either, her screeching was back and she is way better when she is smug with lots of cute lines instead of shouting at a wrestler to stop a beatdwn for ten minutes.

Another problem is that DB has gone over Kane clean a few times in the last couple of months.

It could have been a quickly thrown together scene to get Daniel Bryan off the show early due to the death of his father, which is fair enough. Have to think he would have gone on last otherwise.

I really don't see how Bryan loses any steam with this feud/match...unless it goes for longer than Extreme Rules. And even if that was the case, I wouldn't think it would be irreparable damage at all. Like they could come back with a Wyatt or Cena feud and he would be right were he was after Mania imo.

I'm not interested in the match though, it will be fun I guess but meh, I've seen them work against each other enough times.

Why did Steph want him to stop when just a month ago she cheered on Hunter in another brutal beat down? :)

The only thing I could come up with was them trying to show that Kane wasn't controllable anymore. But after the break Steph made that insincere comment and confirmed that she was just playing in the opening segment so I have no clue :lol:

I didn't say I wanted Cesaro to be the first challenger, but that's no reason to pretend that Kane is a good pick. The fact that they managed to shoot a very good angle this week doesn't change the fact that we are talking about fucking Kane here, a guy Bryan decisively beat leading into Mania, and who was part of a team that jobbed out in less than three minutes at Mania. It's not as if Kane was on some hot streak, or that the crowds were clamoring for Kane v. Bryan matches (actually the house shows they ran with that feud didn't do terribly impressive numbers as I recall). Instead they did nothing to set up interesting heels for after his win, had Bray job to Cena, and decided to pair off the established top heels with HHH (surprise, surprise!) for a feud against The Shield.

I can live with the idea of Kane as a worst case scenario challenger, and even with the idea that they can successfully heat up the feud with angles like the one they did tonight, but that doesn't mean I'm going to pretend that Kane is a strong challenger.

He's not an ideal pick and I didn't say he was a strong challenger, but outside of Batista I don't see any obvious choices. And I can't fault them for using this opportunity to stick him in a reformed Evolution to put the Shield over and to set the wheels in motion for the supposed Reigns/HHH feud and Summerslam match. Bray would have been the best pick but even if won at mania there's no way a Cena feud is just ending like that.

Batista was the obvious choice IMO, but since they seem intent on doing Shield/Evolution, I don't see how Kane isn't the 2nd best option. It's not a matchup that is going to sell PPVs or I suppose now Network subs, but it seems fairly obvious they aren't trying to do that with this match. They're just trying to give Bryan a win with the title to establish him and also close the book for good on Bryan/Kane. Yes they COULD do that on Raw, but then who does he face at the PPV? I don't even think they should be building to Cesaro/Bryan if they really want to make Cesaro the next big babyface. They should be building Cesaro to be the guy who beats Lesnar for the title after Bryan loses it to him and can't get it back.

The only other option to me would have been to have Sheamus come out and interupt his celebration with Brie tonight and mock him as a champion, talking about how the last time they had a title match Sheamus beat him in 13 seconds. But I think most WWE crowds would see Kane as a more credible challenger than Sheamus.

What's funny about that is that the anecdotal evidence of my day-to-day life pegs Kane as the dirt worst. The reaction to him being challenger among my buddies at work was one of bemused annoyance, in part because the way Kane has been booked it comes across as a massive downgrade for Bryan. "Can Bryan overcome the 4th tier guy in the authority" was literally a joke line my boss was tossing around last week.

Why did Steph want him to stop when just a month ago she cheered on Hunter in another brutal beat down? :)

She never really wanted him to stop. If she did, she would've threatened a suspension/fine/whatever. Look at how she "put over" Bryan when he was stretchered off.

Kane just feels like a placeholder here, kind of like Dude Love after WrestleMania XIV. Real feud right now feels like Bryan vs. Steph (with Steph sending in whatever henchmen she can find), which is where Brie comes in (for Steph eventually getting her comeuppance). Not saying that's necessarily the best direction, but it's not like Bryan is being booked like Bret Hart facing a series of credible challengers. More like a mini-Austin vs. McMahon, in a modern sense, and on a smaller scale.

I still think they are going to get there with Sheamus, they need to keep Bryan busy with someone else until they get to Lesnar at SummerSlam. I think they were always going to do a Kane match so might as well get it out of the way early.