Pro Wrestling Only

Kane? Really?

Smack2k

I do think they could get away with ONE month of Orton (he has a rematch clause) if they set it up like Austin vs Mankind in 98 what with the Stooges as timekeeper/etc. If the deck looked really stacked against Bryan and he had a very definitive win, it could do some good.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that I'm fantasy booking it, they could have put a ton of heat on Sheamus by having him come out and challenge Bryan for a match on Raw, acknowledging the death of Bryan's dad, playing up that Sheamus is supposed to be his friend but he's challenging him at such an emotional time and then doing the beatdown because Bryan didn't want to wrestle that night.

This is WWE's style. The first PPV challenger is always some lower-tier throwaway. Even Dude Love fell into that category. People would be bitching just as hard if Sheamus were given this spot. That would feel just as unimportant and predictable. I'm glad Orton didn't get it. That would have been the most boring option of all (not ring-wise, but story-wise).

If you ask me, this is better than most because at least Kane and Bryan have a ton of actual history.

Who are these possible opponents? Cesaro? Barret? These guys aren't ready and they'd be even more of a step down for Bryan at this point. Kane isn't for the likes of us but like Henry and Show people buy him when he's given a serious push.

That was a very good segment (when watched on mute) but I'll miss corporate Kane.

Batista, Orton and Sheamus for starters would all be more interesting opponents than Kane. Also, Batista and Orton both actually have pretty good reason to want a rematch after WM. Guys like Cesaro, Barrett, Henry, and others could all be challengers on a PPV with a little build up, but of course WWE has done such a shitty job building up anybody that they have left themselves with very few options who actually have enough momentum to challenge. When Kane in 2014 is the strongest challenger for the world title despite having tons of talent on the roster, then obviously you suck at booking.

And I just listed the guys who have been booked strong enough to potentially be challengers. There are loads of others...Ziggler, Sandow, Ryback and others who have been booked like shit but have the talent to be taken more seriously if they hadn't buried them.

Part of the problem is that I think they're pulling the trigger on this Shield/Evolution match too soon. It kind of makes no sense for Batista and Orton to just stop caring about the title after WM. Especially Orton who has the ready-made "I was never pinned" motivation for demanding a title shot.

Batista was the obvious choice IMO, but since they seem intent on doing Shield/Evolution, I don't see how Kane isn't the 2nd best option. It's not a matchup that is going to sell PPVs or I suppose now Network subs, but it seems fairly obvious they aren't trying to do that with this match. They're just trying to give Bryan a win with the title to establish him and also close the book for good on Bryan/Kane. Yes they COULD do that on Raw, but then who does he face at the PPV? I don't even think they should be building to Cesaro/Bryan if they really want to make Cesaro the next big babyface. They should be building Cesaro to be the guy who beats Lesnar for the title after Bryan loses it to him and can't get it back.

The only other option to me would have been to have Sheamus come out and interupt his celebration with Brie tonight and mock him as a champion, talking about how the last time they had a title match Sheamus beat him in 13 seconds. But I think most WWE crowds would see Kane as a more credible challenger than Sheamus.

This is the fucking problem right here. The fact that they have failed to get anyone more over than 2014 Kane as a world title contender is a serious problem with this company.

I'm expecting the match between the two to be better than most people are probably expecting, mainly because I see Bryan as wanting to revitalize himself after circumstances beyond his control have kept him from being the centerpiece of WWE since Wrestlemania.

Kane's a pretty good pick for a first challenger to Bryan. They need a proper blow-off to the feud, they work well together and Kane's is perma-over. It'll likely just go for a month, and Bryan will come out with the win. I'd rather have seen a fresh(ish) match with Batista, but since he's programmed with the Shield, Kane is the next best fit. The problem is that WWE actually seem to be building a few guys up right now - great for long term but none of them should really be taking high-profile losses right away unless played out perfectly.

They should have just ran with the Network/PPV change and done an 8 man tag with some kind of gimmick. I still kind of hope they give that to us next month. On the one hand, it's unlikely, but on the other, this is a company that gave us Shield vs Wyatts this year.

It's really cool to see Barrett getting revitalized. I've been wrong before, but I expect this push to stick.

If I were booking WWE, I'd do WWE champ Daniel Bryan vs new IC champ Wade Barrett the night after Extreme Rules on RAW. Give them plenty of time and give Barrett a few nail biting nearfalls while the announcers take a new approach and talk about how these are the #1 and #2 guys in the company. Maybe put Barrett over huge for pushing the world champion in a major way.

I don't expect that to happen and it's not the end of the world if it doesn't. But I think it would benefit both guys.

Who are these possible opponents? Cesaro? Barret? These guys aren't ready and they'd be even more of a step down for Bryan at this point. Kane isn't for the likes of us but like Henry and Show people buy him when he's given a serious push.

That was a very good segment (when watched on mute) but I'll miss corporate Kane.

Batista, Orton and Sheamus for starters would all be more interesting opponents than Kane. Also, Batista and Orton both actually have pretty good reason to want a rematch after WM. Guys like Cesaro, Barrett, Henry, and others could all be challengers on a PPV with a little build up, but of course WWE has done such a shitty job building up anybody that they have left themselves with very few options who actually have enough momentum to challenge. When Kane in 2014 is the strongest challenger for the world title despite having tons of talent on the roster, then obviously you suck at booking.

And I just listed the guys who have been booked strong enough to potentially be challengers. There are loads of others...Ziggler, Sandow, Ryback and others who have been booked like shit but have the talent to be taken more seriously if they hadn't buried them.

Part of the problem is that I think they're pulling the trigger on this Shield/Evolution match too soon. It kind of makes no sense for Batista and Orton to just stop caring about the title after WM. Especially Orton who has the ready-made "I was never pinned" motivation for demanding a title shot.

I don't necessarily disagree with anything you just said but looking at the current WWE landscape few of them choices are realistic picks at the moment. For whatever reason, Ziggler, Ryback and Sandow have been in WWE''s bad books for a while and are unlikely to ever get big pushes again. Plus Zigglers already shown he doesn't belong in the main event scene and Sandow's gimmick has a ceiling. Henry's only just turned face and can barely get into the ring without hurting himself. Cesaro's just got himself a new manager, new music, a new nick name and a lovely new jacket and needs time to establish his new identity before being thrust into the title picture. Are people really clamouring to see another Orton vs Bryan match that much more than monster Kane?

Kane could be awesome again, if only WWE were to get their asses on right.

Scenario: Kane loses to Daniel Bryan at Extreme Rules, but DB comes off worse despite his victory. Stephanie comes out and demands Kane put DB out of action in some extreme manner. Kane does a face turn and refuses, stating that "he and Bryan left it in the ring, he lost fair and square" or something to that effect. At that point, Evolution or whoever they plan to ally with the Authority next comes out and demolishes Kane under orders from Stephanie as DB retreats. Kane gets "put out" via the extreme manner he was ordered to put out DB.

A month later Kane returns, fully masked and suited, expressionless and mute, just as he was in 1997/1998 None of the cartoony "I'm a monster...but I'm going to fall in love with AJ shit" . Have him go up against a top guy like Batista, no sell everything to fuck and put him away with the Tombstone. Have Kane absolutely dominate the Authority as a monster face like Taker. Sure, he'll eventually lose, but have him lose in matches where his opponents barely survive. Bring back the Kane of old!

Didnt get to read all this until tonight...

This just reeks of "we put the belt on the right guy, BUT, we are gonna push him down the card a little, so he can really "earn" that spot instead of making Bryan THE front and center guy and trying to run with it...

Its one week, I know that, but this smells an awful lot like 2004, when Benoit won and he feuded with a rebulit "Kane" while the true main event scene was HHH - HBK show, Evolution...

Now, its Evolution and the Shield taking the front spot, with Cena - Wyatt's behind that and Bryan back there...

Then, if this push doesnt get them what they hope, they can use this excuse that "Bryan didnt draw that well as champ"..

Again very negative here, I know, but seems like I have seen this before.

It was reported a few months ago that Kane has been ready to retire for a little while now, but keeps getting money offers from WWE that are too good to turn down.

Why ? To me it's like Stevie Ray getting this fat-ass contract in WCW. Complete waste of time and money.

But hey, I hear Glenn Jacobs is a nice guy, so good foor him. Heard Abyss was actually a nice guy too. Not that there's a link between the two. Or maybe there is.

I'm gonna throw in here despite not really being a WWE guy. The Attitude Era kicked off when the fans backed Stone Cold over Bret Hart during and after the I Quit match. It wasn't in any way planned by Vince, but when the fans stuck with Stone Cold, he eventually became the face of that era. So Vince is willing to follow where the fans are going when it comes down to keeping them around. And Bryan/the Shield are clearly part of what the fans want to see now. I would guess that they are just playing the same game they did leading to WM to mess with all the fans and get them ready to pop big for Bryan's next "victory" over the evil booking team. Because that seems to be the angle they are working, not against any particular wrestler.

It was reported a few months ago that Kane has been ready to retire for a little while now, but keeps getting money offers from WWE that are too good to turn down.

Why ? To me it's like Stevie Ray getting this fat-ass contract in WCW. Complete waste of time and money.

But hey, I hear Glenn Jacobs is a nice guy, so good foor him. Heard Abyss was actually a nice guy too. Not that there's a link between the two. Or maybe there is.

Abyss is one of TNA's agents. I don't think Kane is.