Pro Wrestling Only

"_______ should have been a top guy"

JaymeFuture

I streamed CMLL's show on Friday night and Jindrak got a really big reaction, especially from the women in the crowd. I was very surprised by it. Granted, his work still is what it is, but there was certainly more to his appeal than either of the big American federations ever exploited.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Neither here nor there, but I've been writing more than anyone ever ought to about Jindrak over at Segunda Caida recently. After seeing what I have, my gut says he could have been used fairly well in the WWE mid-card around 2009, and actually could have been part of a really solid babyface tag team with Masters around that time, where he could have been the hot tag, but one that could have also sold well in a double FIP.

There's also no way Van Hammer could have looked like Van Hammer clean, and the WWF needed guys that could either look good clean or were smart enough to beat tests. This is the same guy that refused to be called Private Stash in Misfits in Action because he thought the ranking was too low.

A heel Doink/Undertaker program would have been money. It's Batman and The Joker. The evil antics versus the other-worldly character would have been a perfect fit.

Class.

Never thought of this before. You'd have to tread carefully not to make 1992 Undertaker look like an idiot though.

My dream scenario is that this would have been more in the late 90's, though it would have worked around the time the character debuted too. A more fiendish less cartoon-y Doink versus the ultra-gothy Taker could have worked well.

A heel Doink/Undertaker program would have been money. It's Batman and The Joker. The evil antics versus the other-worldly character would have been a perfect fit.

Class.

Never thought of this before. You'd have to tread carefully not to make 1992 Undertaker look like an idiot though.

My dream scenario is that this would have been more in the late 90's, though it would have worked around the time the character debuted too. A more fiendish less cartoon-y Doink versus the ultra-gothy Taker could have worked well.

definitely agree with this. as great as it already was, i feel like heel doink was one of the gimmicks that suffered the most in a PG-rated show. "DOINK, BRAH, YOU'RE MAKIN' KIDS CRY BRAH!!!" isn't exactly the most dramatic hook, ya know?

Here's another one that came to mind while I was watching SuperBrawl II today...

Terry Taylor

We all know about the Red Rooster gimmick and how that was destined to fail, but in WCW, in 91' and 92', Taylor was a cocky, arrogant heel and he was darn good at it. I looked at wikipedia and saw that, after that, he went back to WWE, but was basically enhancement talent there as well.

So, why? If JBL is to be believed, it has something to do with him not being well-liked by his peers, but, he seemed to be well-liked enough by management that he's worked backstage for every major US promotion in a variety of roles.

Why didn't Terry Taylor get a push then? Why, in WWE, was he saddled with a bad gimmick in his first go round and then just written off as not worth investing in for his second run? Could they have done more with him in WCW? What are other people's thoughts on his work?

Taylor's best runs were in Mid-South and Texas as a babyface before the Red Rooster stuff. Although I think he's pretty bland whatever the run.

In WCW I think his best moment is probably with the York Foundation just after he replaced Mike Rotunda in more or less the same role. "Taylor Made Man" is low rent though.

Taylor's best runs were in Mid-South and Texas as a babyface before the Red Rooster stuff. Although I think he's pretty bland whatever the run.

In WCW I think his best moment is probably with the York Foundation just after he replaced Mike Rotunda in more or less the same role. "Taylor Made Man" is low rent though.

I thought Taylor had a real good heel pairing with Eddie Gilbert in the UWF.

If you have never seen Taylor's heel run in UWF from his turn on Chris Adams all the way through Starrcade 87 in Crockett, do yourself a favor a watch it...Taylor is fuckin amazing as Johnny said in that role and to me was "Taylor Made" (ha ha) to be a heel. His build to the break with Chris was cool as well, and the feud afterward was decent. He and Eddie Gilbert make a great pair in the end of UWF and the few months they are in Crockett. I remember thinking he was gonna be a guy to watch (I was 9 at the end of '87, so what did I know!) and someone that could be a star. Even when he left Crockett and went down to Texas and WCCW for a while, he was a GREAT heel that they put the Texas Title on and had a good feud with Kevin VE, until he walked and went to WWF and, well, that was that.

Even his 1990 WCW days as a face were decent in ring, as he had a good 3 match,, 10 min TV Title matches with Arn in the fall that are some of my favorite short TV Title matches...He was OK on the mic to...

So I never understood why he wasn't at least given a chance in 88 WWF to be something other than the Rooster....I have no idea what that story is...

i've had a theory about terry taylor for a while now. they bring in him & hennig at the same time, have the mr. perfect & red rooster gimmicks all set, and decide to give them to those two...

i strongly suspect there was one thing above all else that screwed taylor: his southern accent! we all know how vince feels about that, and i don't recall many guys with one getting a long-term run during hulkamania. it's a total guess on my part, but one that i think is quite reasonable.

i strongly suspect there was one thing above all else that screwed taylor: his southern accent! we all know how vince feels about that, and i don't recall many guys with one getting a long-term run during hulkamania. it's a total guess on my part, but one that i think is quite reasonable.

Counterpoint: Hillbilly Jim, Jimmy Hart, Honky Tonk Man and the Big Boss Man.

I think the two main things that held Taylor back were: 1. his falling out with Dusty and 2. the fact he just wasn't that good.

I'll never understand why Mike Rotunda gets as much hate as he does around here when guys like Taylor are sold as being underrated. What's Taylor got over Rotunda? (just as an example)