Pro Wrestling Only

"_______ should have been a top guy"

JaymeFuture

I'm going to be doing a podcast in a few days with a roundtable discussion on the question of "_______ should have been a top guy", a classic and pretty broad subject that should raise a lot of different opinions. Its a four person show and we each have to contribute an argument for one guy, but I wanted to know what you guys thought.

Going to be talking about real factors like the time they were in, the context of their environment, abilities, everything is going to be considered in the debate. And as the title suggests, we're talking true top guy, not title contender or short-term champion. I'd like your opinions on this subject, and I'll be reading them on the show and discussing them if you're cool with that. Should be fun.

In a few minds about my own pick, but leaning towards Windham.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Curt Hennig. Had he never injured his back, he could have had the kind of career Bret or Shawn ultimately did have with Vince. If it all would have worked out before egos became involved between Bret and Shawn, Curt would have been the perfect common enemy that they could have exchanged lengthy title runs with. I don't know how well he would have fit in with the Attitude era character-wise but I could see him switching to the more intense working style that point in time produced.

One weirdish pick, but a pick I really believe falls into this category is Steve Corino. If he was a hair bigger (and didn't have the scarred forehead) he could have - and really should have anyway - been the top heel in wrestling in the 00's. If he had been born earlier and worked in the territories I think he could have been a massive star in multiple territories. I know that both of things sort of raise the issue of what "the guy" means, but I think if you view "the guy" as simply the top ace/face of the promotion Windham absolutely does not qualify and I love Barry.

That's an interesting pick actually. I think if he came around a little earlier or a little later, Corino would have gotten pretty far.

To me that part about defining the top guy is really interesting as you break it down a bit. You think Windham has a better or worse case than Magnum? I agree that in some ways you would need to book around Windham to help him be the ace, which doesn't speak to his credentials to be that guy.

Dustin Rhodes. Twice.

In WCW in 94/95, as the second coming. A fighting young babyface a-la Ricky Steamboat/Barry Windham. Could wrestle, sell and brawl his ass off.

In WWF in 96, as Goldust, heel champ a-la Ric Flair * Adrian Street, with the ambiguous freaky presentation and the glamour and sexyness of Marlena. Could play mindgames, chickenshit and cheat his way to keep his belt, and work freaky brawling garbage matches too.

Dustin Rhodes.

He was so good in WCW from 1992 through his firing in 1995 and was still really young (just 26) when he left WCW. In an alternate universe where Hogan doesn't come to WCW and Dustin doesn't get fired, he almost certainly ends up with a title run at some point in 1995 or 1996 at the latest. At some point I think they would have went to him as the top guy because he was as over as anyone on the roster and could work. Hogan and later the Uncensored 1995 incident derailed that, but he had all the tools to get a run as a top guy in WCW in the mid-90's.

Even if everything went down like it did, I still think he had a shot to be a star in WWF as himself. Perhaps if he wasn't fired by WCW until a little later in the year and the Goldust character wasn't so far along in development, the WWF would have used him as payback for the Luger jump and left him as Dustin Rhodes. I think he could have gotten over as a baby face in the 1995 & 1996 WWF environment. By that point he would have been established enough that he would have at least had a chance of adapting to the Attitude Era.

EDIT: Was posting at the same time as El-P but I echo everything he said.

Matt Hardy

Most will scoff, but watching him grow from OMEGA into the WWF he always had the tools to be a top singles star. His tag work stands out for sure, but I think people sleep on his run in the Cruiserweight division and his later run in the WWE'd ECW. As far as getting pro wrestling goes Hardy was the complete package and I would have loved to see him get a shot as the top guy, but alas he'd always be too small for Vince.

One weirdish pick, but a pick I really believe falls into this category is Steve Corino. If he was a hair bigger (and didn't have the scarred forehead) he could have - and really should have anyway - been the top heel in wrestling in the 00's. If he had been born earlier and worked in the territories I think he could have been a massive star in multiple territories. I know that both of things sort of raise the issue of what "the guy" means, but I think if you view "the guy" as simply the top ace/face of the promotion Windham absolutely does not qualify and I love Barry.

Corino if he was around during the territories would have worked on top in multiple areas. I easily see him in Memphis, Carolina's , all the Texas promotions, Florida, and maybe Mid-South.

Dustin Rhodes.

He was so good in WCW from 1992 through his firing in 1995 and was still really young (just 26) when he left WCW. In an alternate universe where Hogan doesn't come to WCW and Dustin doesn't get fired, he almost certainly ends up with a title run at some point in 1995 or 1996 at the latest. At some point I think they would have went to him as the top guy because he was as over as anyone on the roster and could work. Hogan and later the Uncensored 1995 incident derailed that, but he had all the tools to get a run as a top guy in WCW in the mid-90's.

Even if everything went down like it did, I still think he had a shot to be a star in WWF as himself. Perhaps if he wasn't fired by WCW until a little later in the year and the Goldust character wasn't so far along in development, the WWF would have used him as payback for the Luger jump and left him as Dustin Rhodes. I think he could have gotten over as a baby face in the 1995 & 1996 WWF environment. By that point he would have been established enough that he would have at least had a chance of adapting to the Attitude Era.

EDIT: Was posting at the same time as El-P but I echo everything he said.

In WCW, yes. I think he could have perservered through the Hogan era though. Not that he ever would have used it (more often it could have been used against his own momentum getting over), but his father was still a big part of the company and that kind of nepotism could have been a good balance against Hogan's influence. I could see him on the side of WCW like Savage, Luger and eventually Sting would be during the height of the NWO angle.

In WWF I think he would have gotten the Goldust character regardless. To his credit he did make it work although it made the product awfully awkward, as his segments were counter-intuitive to the family-friendly approach they had in 95 and 96. But I'm just glad to see him part of the show now, especially performing like it's still the 90's. Thanks DDP. I was just thinking about it, but if WWE was a bit more forward thinking they could recycle some of those controversial angles, with less direct sexual overtones but made to just screw with guys' heads. But with Dust as a face this time.

For me Corino was the highlight of the last 2 years of ECW. He improved leaps and bounds as an in ring worker despite not often being put in a position too. And blew everyone away character wise and on mic work. He promo he cut on Dusty about killing JCP was superb.

I don't agree with Dustin almost purely because of his look.

What should he have looked like?

Although he might have gotten some favorable booking from his Dad in 1991. But he over came that spectacularly 92 -94 through sheer hard work.

Him and Austin fought for the TV title at Halloween Havoc 91 and the US title at 93. Them fighting for the world title at HH'95 seemed inevitable

Brian Pillman.

This fucking guy!

Curt Hennig. Had he never injured his back, he could have had the kind of career Bret or Shawn ultimately did have with Vince. If it all would have worked out before egos became involved between Bret and Shawn, Curt would have been the perfect common enemy that they could have exchanged lengthy title runs with. I don't know how well he would have fit in with the Attitude era character-wise but I could see him switching to the more intense working style that point in time produced.

Very much agree.

Pillman was also perfect for the attitude era, as stated.

Vader in the WWF could / should have been a bigger deal. Even working through his health at the start, creatively this could / should have been covered.

Vader in the WWF could / should have been a bigger deal. Even working through his health at the start, creatively this could / should have been covered.

Starting him at the Royal Rumble was nice but not very overwhelming. I heard here that he said he wished he could have told Vince that he would have been ready for WrestleMania, because of his health issues. That would have been the best platform for him to debut in, possibly in the same way he started in Japan how he annihilated Inoki. To their credit, his performance in that 4-way match a year later brought him some goodwill and I believe they were going to put the IC belt on him, possibly leading to even bigger things for him. Then Kuwait happened.