Pro Wrestling Only

Favorite Ring Announcer

VIP Slick

Hello all,

This is my first topic so don't beat me up too hard! I was thinking about ring announcers today, so I would like to get some input on who everybody's favorite ring announcer was/is.

I will go first by giving my top 3, along with a short description and favorite call by each announcer.

1. Dr Tom Miller (Greensboro/JCP/NWA)

I loved everything about the late great Dr Miller. His booming voice, authoritative tone, enthusiasm for the product, and rapid fire delivery. How he referred to the Horsemen as the "dreaded Four Horsemen." My favorite call by Dr Miller occurred when he announced Dusty as the new champ at Great American Bash 1986, after Big Dust defeated Flair in a bloody cage match. I am far from the biggest Dusty fan, but I love the way Dr Miller basically screamed the announcement at the top of his lungs. It really made Dusty's win seem like a legitimately huge event.

2. Gary Michael Cappetta (NWA/WCW)

Like Dr Miller, I really enjoyed the enthusiasm of GMC. While he did have a great voice/tone, I simply liked Dr Miller's better. GMC was also an excellent promoter for the product. It was a big letdown to me when they brought in Penzer/Buffer to replace GMC. I loved all his Flair calls, but my fav was after Flair beat Steamboat at Wrestle War 1989. "Here is your winner, and for the sixth time, World Heavyweighf Champion, Nature Boy, Riiiiiccc Flaaaaiiirrr!!!!!"

3. Howard Finkel (WWF)

Like my top two, the Fink always came on strong with his top notch voice and delivery. He always made title changes sound huge. My favorite Fink call was when he announced Sgt Slaughter as the "neeewwwww" WWF Champion after Sarge's shocking victory at Royal Rumble 1991. This was after Fink gave a dramatic pause for effect, which I found awesome.

Other than GMC, Fink and Tom Miller, is anyone else even in the conversation?

I assume everyone hates Michael Buffer, as I do.

Mike MGuirk seems like a kitsch / ironic choice.

Dave Penzer is boring.

I don't know who the ring announcers were for a lot of the territories.

St. Louis had Mickey Garagiola.

Did Boyd Pierce do it for Watts?

There's the old dude with the sloooowwwwwwwwwwwwwww voice on 70s / early 80s WWF TV -- where Fink announces at MSG and GMC does the Philly shows, he is the ring announcer on the TV tapings. Very slow deliberate voice. I can never remember the guy's name.

Who did AWA have? Was it basically just Okerlund?

Georgia TV was notable for not having a ring announcer a lot of the time.

Anyone else?

I have special affection for Miller now because of the amount of times I've heard him say "This is a one-fall match, with a 60-minute time limit!"

On the subject of Miller, has anyone ever corroborated my theory that he didn't work for Crockett but was an employee of the Greensboro Coliseum?

I'm convinced that Miller was just an arena employee.

I've been digging around for more info on Tom Miller, which is very thin on the ground.

I've managed to find a match with him and George Scott on commentary: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x96lf6_richard-blood-vs-charlie-fulton-geo_sport

This is Tito Santana working as "Richard Blood" (Steamboat's real name) vs. Charlie Fulton. Dick Murdoch joins them on commentary after a minute or so. The show was called "Wide World" at this point and then was changed to "World-Wide"

Miller seems like a very competent play-by-play man.

Piecing together his background, it seems to me that Miller was sort of smaller-time Carolinas version of Kal Rudman. He was on local radio for years and had a show called "Truckin Tom". It is even mentioned in this 1985 Billboard newsletter, which calls his an "oldies show": http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=4yQEAAAAMBAJ&pg=PT16&lpg=PT16&dq=Truckin+Tom+Miller&source=bl&ots=3xWSpX5nBr&sig=JdNw02uJo19CVLu8u3XXfsua0BU&hl=en&sa=X&ei=0-62U8W6OZDG7AaVioHQDA&ved=0CEgQ6AEwBw#v=onepage&q=Truckin%20Tom%20Miller&f=false

He was used as a commentator circa 76-78, but I think his ring announcing duties were a different deal. JCP used a lot of local DJs and celebs as their ring announcers in different towns, and Miller only ever really did Greensboro and VERY occasionally Atlanta (for example, he did the first War games at the Omni).

On a side note: the ring announcer at The Omni half of Starrcade 85 remains a mystery to me. I floated the idea before that it was Rodger Kent, but no one corroborated that.

Gary Capetski has a few quirks that irrationally annoy me. "The following contest, it is set for one fall" being the biggest. A guy whose former day job revolved around grammar and language shouldn't be making announcements with dangling modifiers, dammit.

i give him credit for getting through, "From A LITTLE TOWN IN FRANCE" without corpsing.

To me this thread only has 2 names:GMC & The Fink. It's a shame WWE doesn't even use the best wrestling announcer voice ever. GMC is better overall because he has such a great cadence that as soon as I hear him I just get great memories of wrestling but Fink has the best VOICE for sure.

The AJW announcer from the 80's and 90's always had a weird tone to how he announced the names. Very understated, very slow...it was funny to hear.

GMC was always great, and Finkel gets better every year goes by with Chimmel, Lillian and especially Justin Roberts doing the intros. It's as if WWE doesn't really care that none of those three can actually give a match a big time feel.