Pro Wrestling Only

"It Should Have Been _______"

JaymeFuture

So, we're doing another podcast this week, and for a change of pace we're looking at matches, pushes and angles in wrestling history where you could debate that somebody else should have gotten a certain spot, and things would have gone better than they did - should be a fun look back over different time periods.

Think somebody else should have run over Austin? Think somebody else should have beaten Goldberg? Think somebody else should have won King Of The Ring 95? Think somebody else should have main evented a WrestleMania rather than the guy that did? Think WCW should have built around somebody different? Etc....

Give us the one you always felt strongest about, whatever it may be, and explain how and why it could have worked. As always, we'll read the best contributions on the show and discuss what you think.

This is one I don't feel super strong about, but one that I think would've been pretty cool.

After SummerSlam 2013, CM Punk entered a feud with Paul Heyman and his newest client, Curtis Axel. Despite a strong attempt to repackage Axel, fans still viewed him as nothing more than a minor henchman like the ones Batman routinely knocked around in the old TV show. At Night of Champions, though, Punk was forced into a 2-on-1 handicap match. Outnumbered, Punk had at least a slight reason to worry.

This is where my fantasy booking comes in. At the actual show, Heyman debuted yet another client - Ryback - who was, like Axel, a bit cool when he was given the spot as the next "Paul Heyman Guy." Within a matter of weeks, Punk would vanquish all three in a feud that featured some entertaining promos, but little else, and based on how rote and unremarkable it was, it probably even helped make Punk rethink how much longer he wanted to stick around the WWE.

What would have been better?

I say, at Night of Champions, Axel and Heyman should have gotten the advantage through some chicanery. Punk then gets beaten down by not only Heyman and Axel, but maybe the Real Americans with Zeb Colter as well. With a 3-on-1 advantage AND Heyman and Zeb laughing at the carnage, you would no doubt be hearing the Cena chants.

Cue the music of Punk's former tag team partner and real-life buddy Kofi Kingston! The high flyer from Ghana runs out, cane in hand, which leads the Real Americans, Curt Axel, and their managers to clear the ring...only for Kingston to turn on Punk! At this point, Heyman enters the ring and Kofi hugs him. The next Paul Heyman Guy is noneother than the grinning, charming devil, Kofi Kingston.

I know this sounds crazy, but hear me out...

1) The Punk/Heyman angle had peaks and valleys, but ultimately, especially after SummerSlam, was too predictable, too unremarkable, too meaningless. But Punk has a history of working better with his real-life friends and having that "steal the show" attitude when he is in the ring with someone else he feels is as "underutilized" as himself. Kofi Kingston probably fits that description when you consider that, from what I read, Kofi is one of Punk's best friends in the company (and was his travel buddy on Punk's personal bus).

2) There's not a million great reasons or ways to turn Kofi Kingston heel, but in this instance, it would've worked marvelous. Why not have Kofi complain about Punk's ego? About how, when Kofi was injured, Punk never called? Or about how, when Punk became World Champion, he never gave a shot to his "best friend" Kofi? About how selfish Punk is? That Punk had the chance of a lifetime to be a Paul Heyman Guy, but he turned on Paul Heyman just like he turned on Kofi, and his issue with CM Punk is that while he calls himself the "Best in the World," the truth is, when it comes to friendship, he's the worst.

To me, you get THAT build and you get a CM Punk working hard to help Kofi get over (which I believe he would've done out of respect and friendship) and you have a really great feud that could've propelled Kofi up the ladder (and, speaking of ladder, what about Punk/Kofi in a Ladder Match at TLC?). I'd also be willing to wager that Punk didn't want to put Ryback or Axel over (and shouldn't have), but might have actually gone to bat for Kofi to steal a win over him just because of how much it would help solidify him as a top heel.

So, who should've been the next Heyman guy after Axel? I say Kofi.

(( Also, who should've been the next Heyman guy INSTEAD of Axel? Cesaro. ))

When Backlund won his title both men were extremely young in the business. Steamer was just starting to catch on in JCP plus you have to take into consideration that the decision was made the year previous for Backlund and at that time Steamer was still working as Richard Blood.

When Backlund won his title both men were extremely young in the business. Steamer was just starting to catch on in JCP plus you have to take into consideration that the decision was made the year previous for Backlund and at that time Steamer was still working as Richard Blood.

Just push it forward a couple of years. Put either guy over Backlund in 1980. No need to stick with Howdy Doody for the full 6-years. Have someone like Hogan or Patera or Valentine or Slaughter beat him in a Koloff/Iron Sheik sort of deal and then have Steamer or Martel beat them.

Steamboat commanded the garden in his one appearance there in that tag match. He was crazy over.

Martel was amazing and given the same push as Backlund would be thought of as a total legend even by casual fans today.

Both guys were all the things Backlund wasn't: charismatic, sexy, dynamic, great at selling.

I fully believe that either guy would have made Vince Sr a boatload of cash. It's not like Backlund didn't draw, but I think that either of them would have drawn more -- despite being Southern / Canadian / ethnic-looking.

Backlund's drawing power was the main reason why he stayed champ for so long it was only when the ownership change took place and when Backlund changed his own look that came into question. As long as you are drawing the promoters back then were going to ride that horse until it broke down.

I don't care about any of this, I know Backlund made money, I'm saying Steamboat or Martel would have made more.

I sometimes get the impression that Backlund was Vince Sr's weird project to prove to all the other promoters that he could still draw with literally *anyone* on top. Like a bizarre experiment. I wouldn't be surprised to learn one day that Eddie Graham and him had a "Trading Places" sort of deal.

tp14.png

"Eddie, see that goofy little shithead Backlund? I can sell out MSG with him"

"Get out of it, Vince ..."

"Want to bet ONE dollar?"

It wouldn't surprise me at all. The Backlund deal is one of the weirdest things in wrestling history.

They should have done an Undertaker/Cena match at WrestleMania while Taker was still undefeated. Maybe Cena instead of Lesnar this past year? Or instead of Punk last year?

HHH should have been the one who ran over Austin. Rikishi shouldn't have been involved at all. Yeah, the reveal wouldn't have been a major surprise, but at least it would have been logical. Could do without Austin dropping HHH in a car from a forklift and HHH being fine just fine the next night, but I'm not gonna go crazy into details.

Dibiase really should have won Rumble 89 instead of Big John Studd.

I've always said this. I've heard Vince really wanted a "giant" with Andre being phased out and he wanted to renew interest in Studd, but still. DiBiase SHOULD have held the WWF belt within the past year as he was knocking it out of the park on all levels. By the Royal Rumble he had lost some steam and it would have been a great win for him. I think being the last from last man in the Rumble is never a good thing, he probably would have been better getting eliminated sooner to boot.

Come next Wrestlemania Dibiase was working Beefcake and Studd was a referee.

Oh, and I can't be the only one who thought...

8503340583_45c86d7ef7.jpg

I'd have had Verne bring back Jim Brunzell in 1989 to win the AWA title battleroyal, and then set him up vs. Greg around the horn for the title.

The twist would be that Brunzell turned heel in the battleroyal, last eliminating Sgt. Slaughter with a roll of coins shot to the jaw to win the title. Many, many great promos from Brunzell's manager DDP about how Brunzell was always getting screwed by the Gagnes would have been fun.

Greg would have been the defacto face, but he would have been booed more than cheered quickly. Solution? Turn Greg as well and have Verne spend the rest of the year trying to convince his wayward kids (Greg and Brunzell) that their reformed High Flyer Heel team was a bad idea (Greg could be Brunzell's policeman and do a Heenan role, interfering to save the title for Jim when necessary).

Would have been tons more fun than the Team Challenge Series.

Luger should have won the title from Flair at the end of 88, turned heel and then had Flair chase as the face. People talk about Sting getting screwed by WCW booking, but Luger drew more against Flair and never got the big payoff. Both guys would have been hotter for it in the long run and I've always believed Luger was the closest thing WCW produced to an upper tier star during that period.

If someone was going to take the title off Dreamer in ECW after he beat Taz on WWE loan, it should have been Tajiri with Corino as his mouthpiece. It wouldn't have made a difference long term but it would have made the dying days of Ecw more fun to watch and would have spared us the Justin Credible title run.

The main event of Starrcade 94 probably would have been better served being Vader vs Hogan instead of The Butcher vs The Hulkster. Give Vader the big win and then have Hogan start doubting himself instead of being such an unover super babyface for the entirety of 95. Hogan could even get his win back at Bash at the Beach 95 after going through some Dungeon of Doom guys while Vader could wrestle Sting and Dustin and others at PPVs and Clashes. It probably would have softened the WCW fans hatred of Hogan if they saw that he was willing to play ball and actually put over WCW's homegrown talent instead of turning it into a WWF tribute card.

Luger should have won the title from Flair at the end of 88, turned heel and then had Flair chase as the face. People talk about Sting getting screwed by WCW booking, but Luger drew more against Flair and never got the big payoff. Both guys would have been hotter for it in the long run and I've always believed Luger was the closest thing WCW produced to an upper tier star during that period.

If someone was going to take the title off Dreamer in ECW after he beat Taz on WWE loan, it should have been Tajiri with Corino as his mouthpiece. It wouldn't have made a difference long term but it would have made the dying days of Ecw more fun to watch and would have spared us the Justin Credible title run.

I was thinking Luger too but not 1988 although he should've won it then....but 1990 when Sting got hurt.....Luger turning face because he as a heel was so disgusted by Flair's tactics that he was going to the win the title in Sting's honor.

Dibiase really should have won Rumble 89 instead of Big John Studd.

I've always said this. I've heard Vince really wanted a "giant" with Andre being phased out and he wanted to renew interest in Studd, but still. DiBiase SHOULD have held the WWF belt within the past year as he was knocking it out of the park on all levels. By the Royal Rumble he had lost some steam and it would have been a great win for him. I think being the last from last man in the Rumble is never a good thing, he probably would have been better getting eliminated sooner to boot.

Come next Wrestlemania Dibiase was working Beefcake and Studd was a referee.

Oh, and I can't be the only one who thought...

8503340583_45c86d7ef7.jpg

This may have to be the theme song of the podcast this week...

I was thinking Luger too but not 1988 although he should've won it then....but 1990 when Sting got hurt.....Luger turning face because he as a heel was so disgusted by Flair's tactics that he was going to the win the title in Sting's honor.

Blame Flair for that one. Heck, blame Flair for both those times.