Pro Wrestling Only

<Split> The decline of Vince McMahon

JerryvonKramer

More in 2014 than 2013? Internet shopping isn't exactly new at this point.

Black Friday sales were down overall at brick & mortar shops.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2014/11/30/367564827/black-friday-sales-down-at-stores-surge-online

"Black Friday shopping at brick-and-mortar stores in the United States was down about 7 percent from a year ago, according to ShopperTrak, but more purchases on Thanksgiving Day nearly made up the difference. Meanwhile, online retailers recorded double-digit year-on-year increases in sales."

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as for Vince, I think a lot of their success over the last 10 years can be attributed to the machine they built prior to that. When you have enough success to build a company that sort of "runs itself" in some ways, you can afford to make a lot of mistakes without realizing a massive impact to your business. I just think it can be misleading to look at their numbers in the last decade and say that they're doing a great job because they've generated revenue and had some big gates. Something they've done a lot of in the last decade is cultivate the brand moreso than individuals, which has resulted in more steady business despite the lack of huge individual draws.

I think the discussion about Vince as a businessman should be somewhat independent of the discussion about Vince as a booker. I think as a booker he has been terrible for years, but it's much harder to quantify that than it is to quantify his business moves. I don't think he misses a lot of business opportunities, but he does miss a lot of creative opportunities which could in turn be costing him business. Yes they have mode some pretty big money in the last decade, but who's to say they couldn't have made a lot more money if they had been more willing to let upcoming talent flourish.

A big element is risk IMO. Vince has very little incentive to take risks anymore. If he knows Wrestlemania at worst is going to do X buys and make him Y dollars with a "safe" card and he's ok with that, then it's hard to justify shaking things up. WCW as competition forced him to take risks and it ended up working for him, but I think he is afraid or at least unwilling to take risks nowadays. I mean the Summer of Punk stuff was probably the most risky creative move they've made in the last several years and they didn't even go all-in with that like some would have preferred.

A big element is risk IMO. Vince has very little incentive to take risks anymore. If he knows Wrestlemania at worst is going to do X buys and make him Y dollars with a "safe" card and he's ok with that, then it's hard to justify shaking things up. WCW as competition forced him to take risks and it ended up working for him, but I think he is afraid or at least unwilling to take risks nowadays. I mean the Summer of Punk stuff was probably the most risky creative move they've made in the last several years and they didn't even go all-in with that like some would have preferred.

The Network is one of the biggest risks he's ever taken. He completely undercut Mania.

...which is weird, because creative is obviously incredibly risk-averse. To the point where they won't keep a top guy off TV for more than a week to enhance a storyline, even though whatever money they lost there would be a drop in the bucket of the potential losses of the Network. I think their massive hubris ("62 million homes have an affinity for WWE content") convinced them the Network couldn't be anything but a huge success, so they didn't see it as a risk.

• 2 weeks later...

WWE Announces Record-Setting Thanksgiving Weekend Sales on WWEShop.com

On Black Friday, WWE recorded its single biggest online sales day ever, drawing a 44% increase in sales on WWEShop.com compared to last year’s record-setting day. WWE also broke records on Cyber Monday, with sales +32% year-over-year, making it the No 2. best-selling day on WWEShop.com ever.

WWEShop.com’s five-day holiday weekend saw sales +39% year-over-year.

WWE Superstar Dean Ambrose “Unstable” Hoodie Sweatshirt was the hottest seller, and the WWE Monopoly Board Game came in at No. 2.

Decline?

As a side note - good for Ambrose for moving that much merch. Of course, it's worth noting that it's probably the least embarrassing merch they have right now, with a real simple design that doesn't broadcast the fact that it's wrestling related.

As a side note - good for Ambrose for moving that much merch. Of course, it's worth noting that it's probably the least embarrassing merch they have right now, with a real simple design that doesn't broadcast the fact that it's wrestling related.

if wwe would get over their obsession with putting hideous shit on the back of their clothing i'd probably buy one.

This was an interesting read...I have my own theories that may not be so popular. To sum up, the new generation of pseudo smarks have no idea what a main eventer is supposed to do...do numbers, connect with fans, be attractive to mainstream. Most of the guys (that someone in the hive told them were good in '06 ROH) they get behind aren't capable of being main eventers. They either stink on the mic (Cesaro), get zero reaction during matches (Wyatt), or both, and the babies claim it's Vince holding their guy back. Perhaps it's their flaws...the real main eventers found a way, be it their charisma, becoming part of the mainstream (Hogan in Rocky 3) to get there even without the proverbial rocket back strapping. Vince is out of touch and having his daughter and failed TV writers head up creative is horrible, but there is no way to please some of these fans.

It is hard to judge how good anyone is on the mic based on the awful scripts they get given. Bryan Danielson regurgitating catchphrases, lame jokes and contrived putdowns is awkward as hell - him ripping on fans in ROH was natural, funn and entertaining.

Agree that a lot of the current IWC aren't really the best judge of who will make a top guy. The hype for Bray Wyatt on this forum baffled me.

They either stink on the mic (Cesaro),

How do we know? Dude never gets to cut promos.

Did he ever cut a memorable promo in ROH? As much as I love the guy in the ring, I do find it odd that people get mad about him not being a headliner in WWE when he rarely even main evented in ROH due to his limitations as a performer.

That is true about Cesaro. When he first came to ROH zero people were talking about him as a potential breakout star. The argument is probably that he improved massively in WWE, which is true. But to me his true level is of a solid midcard workhorse who will always be over, always put on good matches and be a very good IC Champion, if that belt meant anything any longer. Someone for the likes of Roman Reigns to feud with on their way to the top of the card.

Due to appalling booking, guys on that level don't tend to exist anymore. It is all or nothing for WWE creative. They have undoubtedly mishandled Cesaro.

If they just gave wins to just about everyone who got a pop to see if they could get some momentum on their side, there would be almost no backlash from anyone. Whether Cesaro is their next top star or not, they certainly haven't tried to maximize his potential.

I guess the "pop" is what is hard to decipher. Wyatt gets it when his music comes on, but even his Mania match with Cena and TLC match with Ambrose were sit on your hand moments during the in-ring. His promos and silly magic stuff aren't exactly inspiring either. Is it the cool entrance or him that is getting anyone excited?

Yeah, Bray's an example of someone I'd say they didn't quite handle right, but came close. He was getting a reaction, so they tried moving him up. His reaction faded, so they moved him down. Of course, losing to Cena at WM is the moment he sort of fell off. I guess my point is that I still think winning and losing matters more than anything else in getting people over.

Wyatt/ Ambrose at TLC got the crowd reaction it did because the crowd had already seen all the spots in the other matches. They need to scrap or adjust the concept of the PPV.

What's the excuse for all of the other wyatt matches outside of the bryan cage match? No matter how you spin it (and I tend to agree with you that people were worn out from the gimmick matches), he's nowhere near a main eventer no matter what character they give him.

I guess my point is that I still think winning and losing matters more than anything else in getting people over.

I forgot if it was Meltzer or Alvarez who told the story, but this reminds me that around late 2005 or 2006, one of those two said that Shawn Michaels pulled someone aside (Rey Mysterio?) and said something along the lines, "Here's a secret: winning and losing matters."