Pro Wrestling Only

WWN Live-Evolve, I-ppv's

shoe

Now these are just matches that I've seen.

Thatcher vs Strong 4* Evolve 37

Strong vs Busick 3 1/2* Evolve 42

Strong vs Daniels 3 1/2* ROH SCOH 3/27/15

Strong vs Fish 3 1/4* ROH TV 3/23/15

Strong vs Young vs Taven vs M Briscoe 3 3/4* ROH Chicago 3/14/15

Strong vs El Patron 4* ROH Dayton 1/31/15

Strong vs O'Reilly 4* ROH Atl 2/21/15

Strong vs Lethal 3 1/2* ROH TV 2/21/15

Strong vs M Briscoe 3 1/2* ROH TV 1/10/15

Strong vs Thatcher 4* Evolve 41

Again this is just the Strong I've seen this year. Their are more pimped stuff out there.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After catching up a little bit, I'm starting to think that the commentary crew isn't getting the credit they deserve. I like how UFC-esque it is with both guys focusing on the action at hand and not on teasing upcoming segments or putting over their own awful banter at the expense of the match. They're easily the least obnoxious team of any American promotions I watch.

After catching up a little bit, I'm starting to think that the commentary crew isn't getting the credit they deserve. I like how UFC-esque it is with both guys focusing on the action at hand and not on teasing upcoming segments or putting over their own awful banter at the expense of the match. They're easily the least obnoxious team of any American promotions I watch.

I think that's a fair statement.

To be fair, Strong's had a hell of a run over the last few years - at least.

His tear through the BOLA last year was tremendous, from start to finish into the finals.

And hell, he got a GREAT little match out of Brian Cage in PWG too. Just a fun fucking opener that actually felt (for the most part) like an honest to God fight - which is high praise for a Cage match. I'm a big time fan of the guy, but not very many of his matches look & feel like an authentic struggle. But Roddy brought the pressure & kept pouring the heat on. Rapid-fire exchanges, a fierce comeback, and some relentlessly nasty knee (and elbow) strikes all over the place in that one.

• 1 month later...

Meltzer is dropping a cryptic rumor - said to be explained in full in the next Observer - that has people speculating that WWE is either trying to buy WWNLive, or is working with Sapolsky in some fashion. I have no idea what that means and am not making any assumptions, but there's some kind of partnership/interest afoot that smells vaguely like DGUSA/Evolve becoming an official farm system. Nothing more than Meltzer speaking in the vaguest of terms on his god-forsaken message board, but a curious situation nonetheless.

WWE was mad ROH signed a five year deal with Figures Toy Company to make a Kevin Steen figure. WWE was worried it would piss off Mattel (who apparently is their most important sponsor) so the idea seems to be to steer potential talent away from ROH to Evolve to be their AA ball league like how NXT is their AAA ball league.

So basically ROH might have royally boned themselves with this action figure deal if this scares away any future talent with WWE dreams.

WWE was mad ROH signed a five year deal with Figures Toy Company to make a Kevin Steen figure. WWE was worried it would piss off Mattel (who apparently is their most important sponsor) so the idea seems to be to steer potential talent away from ROH to Evolve to be their AA ball league like how NXT is their AAA ball league.

So basically ROH might have royally boned themselves with this action figure deal if this scares away any future talent with WWE dreams.

I don't know if ROH made a mistake not pandering to the WWE. Sure the WWE is by far the biggest wrestling company in the world. However the Sinclair Corporation is worth three times more than the WWE . I don't think the CEO and board of Sinclair Broadcasting are sweating Vince McMahon . Most of them have never even heard of McMahon . Sinclair operates ROH as low cost programming for their own network . I don't think Sinclair really cares or worries about the WWE .

There will plenty of quality guys that will want to work for ROH . Remember wanting to work for McMahon and actually working for him are two different things. McMahon is a nut case. How many guys will never work for him again . Johnny Mundo , Alberto Del Rio , Justin Gabriel , Kenny Omega , Trent Barratta and countless others . ROH will be fine.

I don't know if ROH made a mistake not pandering to the WWE. Sure the WWE is by far the biggest wrestling company in the world. However the Sinclair Corporation is worth three times more than the WWE . I don't think the CEO and board of Sinclair Broadcasting are sweating Vince McMahon . Most of them have never even heard of McMahon . Sinclair operates ROH as low cost programming for their own network . I don't think Sinclair really cares or worries about the WWE .

There will plenty of quality guys that will want to work for ROH . Remember wanting to work for McMahon and actually working for him are two different things. McMahon is a nut case. How many guys will never work for him again . Johnny Mundo , Alberto Del Rio , Justin Gabriel , Kenny Omega , Trent Barratta and countless others . ROH will be fine.

Aside from Alberto and maybe Omega, none of those guys are wrestlers I could see WWE being actually interested in again anyway.

Isn't this why WWE changes guys names though? I could see if it was Samoa Joe and WWE didn't change his name but what stops Mattel from making a Kevin Owens figure?

Nothing's stopping them, but apparently WWE is worried that having another company producing figures of a guy they clearly have big plans for will piss off Mattel. Not sure when Mattel became this massive entity that must be placated at all times, but there they are.

Aside from Alberto and maybe Omega, none of those guys are wrestlers I could see WWE being actually interested in again anyway.

It does not matter if the WWE is interested in those particular group of names. My point was that there is plenty of talent in the marketplace for ROH to book . The WWE is a horrible place to wrestlers to work . Wrestlers last about 3 to 5 years and are either fired or run for the nearest exit.

How long before guys like Steen , Generico , Black , Moxley and Callihan become available for ROH or NJPW ? Odds are Steen will be back in ROH in a couple of years. McMahon will decide he is too fat , too French or whatever and just fire Steen.

The other point was that Sinclair is an overall more powerful and richer company than the WWE . It is not even close., just google both companies stock prices for proof . Sinclair just does not invest major capital into their wrestling company. McMahon would have to be a complete fool to try and provoke Sinclair I know he is crazy , but he cannot that stupid.

Evolve 44

Gargano vs Ethan Page

Gargano is a guy I've seen get a lot of praise. I personally don't get him. He seems like a guy who falls into the flashy/cool moves club, but lacks the story telling skills to use those moves to put together engaging matches on a consistent basis. Page is a guy who's suited better as a tag worker. This is booked as a heated feud and Page wearing a fireman's helmet to the ring doesn't translate that. A little back and forth to start. A big punch by Page turns the tide momentarily. Gargano is on top, but seems to be doing stuff to do stuff. Loved Page using the ref as a human shield. Page slingshots Gargano into the post. Page using his weight to his advantage and begins focusing on the back. Page's heat segment is much more focused than Gargano's. Gargano's comeback seems too early, especially since he teased it twice already. Gargano on top for a bit. Page cuts him off and we get a strike exchange that feels phony. Gargano with a Tope' Suicida. Nice counter by Gargano into a submission. We build to the finish. The string finish played into their feud. Overall, pretty dissapointing. 2 1/2*

Swann vs Lee

Swann I like in a tag team. Lee is a guy who's gained a rep for himself. I think they might have problems since both guys are better working underneath. We get mirror rope running spots. Actually this transpired how I feared it would. 2 1/4*

Horrus vs Williams

This is fun stuff early. I'm enjoying the styles clash early. This is lucha mat work versus a more traditional approach was great while it happened. The finish came out of nowhere. 2 1/2*

Perkins/Horrus vs Premier Athlete Brand

Perkins is looking great early. The PAB is shining up the faces real good. Horrus with a big time flip dive. So Cal Val interference spot sets up the heat on Horrus. Horrus is FIP and gets worked over. Finally Horrus gets the hot tag to Perkins. He's all over and kicking ass. He brings Horrus in on a double team move which needs to be a finisher. They start build to a finish. A lot of stuff is happening down the stretch including So Cal Val getting panced. Horrus looked the most dynamic he's looked here in these 2 matches. He seems to be progressing. 2 1/2*

Bailey vs Busick

Both guys are making a name for themselves. Bailey has an underdog look. Bailey in control early. We get some counters of counters that leaves Busick on top. He controls from the headlock and the mount. Bailey shows good fire underneath. Bailey uses his elbows to block Bailey's kicks. We get some back and forth rope running strikes. This has more of a showcase feel to it than a match until that nasty finish.. A nasty 1/2 and 1/2 on the ring apron by Busick. Running lariat by Busick. Nasty finishing sequence. The purpose of the match was to get Bailey over , and for Busick to look strong at the finish. 3*

Gulak vs Richards

This is both guys trying to get the advantage. Each guy targeting the leg. It had a real game of chess feel to it. Richards was pretty good selling the damage to the leg. 3*

Galloway vs Strong

Strong has had an amazing 1/2 year in the ring. Galloway has had a good one too. A super intense lock up to start. Mat wrestling now. Rope run ning, and a big drop kick by Strong in the face. Strong after the taped arm. Galloway kicking him away. Big knee by Strong followed by an Olympic slam. Chop off, and a kick by Strong. Back to the arm by Strong. A big kick to the shoulder by Strong. Big boot by Galloway, followed by a wheellbasrrow slam. A battle on the apron. Back breaker on the apron by Strong. Strike exchange on the floor. Running knee strikes by Strong. These guys have been in a battle. Piledriver and a dbl arm DDT by Galloway. Galloway hits 5 dbl arm DDT's in a row for the win. The body of the match was really good. The finish was a bit over kill. 3 1/4*

WWN working with WWE is a win-win-win all around. The only companies hurt by it would be other indies who would most likely be blocked from booking WWN talent. This also may be more of a push towards a more open talent exchange system, which Triple H seems to be in favor of. Plus, at the end of the day this brings us closer to match-ups like Cesaro/Thatcher, and that's all that matters to me.

As for the RoH point, the way they find new talent is stupid to begin with. They mainly look to their training camps where talent has to try out. That's why they've never even had guys like Thatcher, Sabre, Busick, Horus, etc. on their radar. It's also why RoH is consistently struggling when it comes to pushing new talent.

• 4 weeks later...

Evolve is running Florida this weekend with shows in Ybor City and Orlando. I'm going to the Orlando show which had Thatcher/Hero, Galloway/Barretta and Davey Richards/Biff Busick. Biff got injured so he's off the show and now they are doing Hero/Davey which is a bummer. I was really looking forward to Thatcher/Hero. TJP vs Sabre Jr should still be good though so I'm still going.