Pro Wrestling Only

Your confessions as a wrestling fan

goc

• I don't think Jim Ross is the "best commentator of all-time." I don't even think he was better than Gorilla, let alone some of the color commentators over the years (Ventura, Heenan, Heyman even).

I am totally on board with this thing.

Speaking of commentary, I have a hard time watching a match without it. Even commetnary in languages I don't understand help me out. Fan cams and such are difficult for me, they feel incomplete.

If a match has a great finish (doesn't have to be a clean pinfall to be great) I will probably like the match, regardless of the rest of it.

Often I enjoy discussing wrestling more than watching it.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

- I'm not what you would call a big Daniel Bryan fan. He's had some great matches, but I can't get into him as a character that much, regardless as to whether he's a face or a heel. When he was a face, the playing-to-the-crowd "YES!" promos got tiresome for me, and when he was a heel, he wasn't all that hateable either.

- On top of that, I kinda get not having him in the main event of WrestleMania this year. He had a big moment the year before that couldn't have possibly been equaled at all this year, plus the WWE, like it or not, is all about building the brand more than building stars. They pretty much want to have as much in the way of consistent revenue and business across the board, and hard to do that on the backs of a few people knowing they might be gone for whatever reason. I get that; it's similar to how modern workplaces work.

- Glitches, flaws and all, I LOVE the WWE's video games. Play them far more than I watch RAW, often at times during RAW in fact.

- I too like the Miz. In fact, I was a huge fan of the obnoxiousness of Miz, Alex Riley and heel Michael Cole. Three doofus heels who really needed to be put in their place.

• I don't think Jim Ross is the "best commentator of all-time." I don't even think he was better than Gorilla, let alone some of the color commentators over the years (Ventura, Heenan, Heyman even).

Speaking of commentary, I have a hard time watching a match without it. Even commetnary in languages I don't understand help me out. Fan cams and such are difficult for me, they feel incomplete.

If a match has a great finish (doesn't have to be a clean pinfall to be great) I will probably like the match, regardless of the rest of it.

I'm not sure if that last one is a confession. It's hard to imagine being a fan at this level without being able to bounce ideas off others.

I'm not sure if that last one is a confession. It's hard to imagine being a fan at this level without being able to bounce ideas off others.

Sorry, to clarify, enjoy discussing wrestling more than watching wrestling. Maybe that is common?

-I can't get into Japanese wrestling and I don't understand people who say it's closer to American wrestling than lucha is. I haven't seen a whole lot of no selling and stupid forearm/chop exchanges in lucha while I have seen way too much of it in my limited sampling of Japanese wrestling.

Just out of interest goc, what Japanese wrestling have you watched? I found 80s (and then 70s and 90s) All Japan super-easy to get into, partly because there are a lot of familiar faces around (The Funks, Hansen, DiBiase, Gordy, etc.) and partly because the style is closer to something like Mid-South or Crockett than anything else. Think Wahoo or Garvin vs. Flair and there it is.

I say this as one of the people who has found Lucha quite impenetrable.

Sorry, to clarify, enjoy discussing wrestling more than watching wrestling. Maybe that is common?

I understood ok, my point was that sometimes the discussion/analysis/reading posts here is more enjoyable than watching for me too. And it would be hard to get to his level of fandom if you were watching in a cave, completely isolated somewhere.

I feel like I have tried to like CMLL more than I should have and while I can appreciate the athletic performances, I hate the storytelling tropes and all the production stuff around it (I do not need to see the apathetic crowd or the dancing girls again, thank you). This does not apply to Rush. Rush has an exemption because he will punch you in the mouth.

Hey Japanese wrestlers, standing there when a guy forearms you in the mouth does not make you look tough. It makes you look too dumb to duck.

I would rather watch 10 Demolition matches then a single match from the Road Warriors. This applies to a lot of tag teams by the way.

Miz~! People love the Miz! I love the Miz too!

-I can't get into Japanese wrestling and I don't understand people who say it's closer to American wrestling than lucha is. I haven't seen a whole lot of no selling and stupid forearm/chop exchanges in lucha while I have seen way too much of it in my limited sampling of Japanese wrestling.

Just out of interest goc, what Japanese wrestling have you watched? I found 80s (and then 70s and 90s) All Japan super-easy to get into, partly because there are a lot of familiar faces around (The Funks, Hansen, DiBiase, Gordy, etc.) and partly because the style is closer to something like Mid-South or Crockett than anything else. Think Wahoo or Garvin vs. Flair and there it is.

A lot of different stuff. I've tried to watch some of the 70s stuff with The Funks vs. Jumbo/Baba and couldn't get thru them without falling asleep. I watched some matches from the 80s All Japan set on youtube to see if I should get it. I didn't end up getting it.

I did like 80s All Japan more than most of what I have seen but it still wasn't something I could see myself watching a lot of. Part of it is that most of the matches just feel too long with a lot of stuff in the beginning of the match that ultimately doesn't matter.

I found Lucha to be far more in line with my tastes with colorful characters, heels that cheat and act like cowards, crazy bloody brawls, and I just feel like there is more of an emphasis on selling in lucha than what I've seen from Japanese wrestling.

Hey Japanese wrestlers, standing there when a guy forearms you in the mouth does not make you look tough. It makes you look too dumb to duck.

And this. I fucking hate this and I will pretty much just quit watching a match once this starts to get too stupid.

A lot of different stuff. I've tried to watch some of the 70s stuff with The Funks vs. Jumbo/Baba and couldn't get thru them without falling asleep. I watched some matches from the 80s All Japan set on youtube to see if I should get it. I didn't end up getting it.

I did like 80s All Japan more than most of what I have seen but it still wasn't something I could see myself watching a lot of. Part of it is that most of the matches just feel too long with a lot of stuff in the beginning of the match that ultimately doesn't matter.

I can see the match lengths being an issue for some. There are some good sprints and brawls though.

Funks vs. Sheik and Abby from 78 (one of my all-time fave matches, 79 also good)

Terry Funk vs. Stan Hansen retirement match from 83 goes about 11 minutes.

If you like blood n guts, at least check out those two.

I've definitely seen the retirement match, I did like that but it was definitely more of an aberration than your typical All Japan match. I haven't seen the Funks vs. Sheik/Abby matches that you've been raving about. You've pimped them enough that they are on my watch list though.

Since you're not going to do a ballot (and that whole process seems to be forgotten about/in limbo anyway) you should just go through and hit the highlights. Watch anything with Satanico, Perro Aguayo, Sangre Chicana or Los Brazos. Watch the La Fiera vs Babyface match. Watch the incredible Arandu vs. Guerrero Negro hair match from 1988 that has one of the most dangerous looking crowds I've ever seen. There is a lot of good stuff there but I can see where it might be hard to get through all of the trios if you don't really like the style.

At the time I loved the Glacier vs Wrath and Mortis feud. Before that I was big into Glacier. When Ernest Miller came in is when I finally turned off them.

Goldberg squashes might be my favourite wrestling matches to watch.

I love cowboy gimmicks.

I've always been a fan of Bradshaw, even when he was a 5th rate Stan Hansen.

In high school, during badminton off season, there was a badminton night to play for fun and to not lose your skills too much. It was monday night in 97-98 ish time, so I skipped a lot of shows to see Bret Hart make fun of America.

Prior to finally getting TBS in early 1994, I was such a desperate wrestling geek I "watched" scrambled WCW shows for about two years. When the Shockmaster debut happened, since I could only hear what was going on, I had no clue one of the great wrestlecrap moments was taking place and didn't know until years later.