Pro Wrestling Only

Hogan's Part in Rocky 3

JerryvonKramer

Okay, this is one of the most ridiculous things.

Reading Terry Funk's book, I laughed out loud when he claimed credit for getting him the part in Rocky III through his connection with Sly Stallone. Funk claims that he recommended Hogan, and Vince Sr recommended Gorilla Monsoon.

Reason I laugh is because this feels like the 5th or 6th different person that has claimed credit for that deal. Another one is Bill Apter, who says he sent Stallone photos of Hogan and Billy Graham for the part.

So:

1. Let's list all of the different claims on this, to find the most outlandish and improbable one.

and

2. Which, if any of them, are true?

Hogan's version of events is that the casting director's brother was a wrestling fan and agent who recommened him. He said on Jericho's podcast that he's aware of rumors of Skaaland and Apter taking credit, as well as the Monsoon thing, but none of it's true. Sounded reasonable, even coming from Hogan.

Is Bill Apter really known for being a bullshit artist? My instincts say trust Apter.

He seems like such a nice guy and it's a weird one to fabricate (i.e. actually sending the pictures off).

It is possible they are all true of course. i.e. That Funk did mention to Stallone that Hogan might be good, that the casting agent's brother also mentioned Hogan, AND that Apter sent the pics of Hogan. All entirely possible.

Just one of those funny wrestling things that everyone seems to lay a claim to.

In Dynamite Kid's book, DK mentions that Funk was bragging about his friendship with Stallone, and offered to get DK cast as Ivan Drago in Rocky IV, but that DK never got the part because he was too short.

DK would've been a terrible choice for Drago. Wasn't his back also shredded by that point anyway?

The story Funk tells in his book is that he suggested Kerry von Erich to Stallone and Sly loved him, but Kerry couldn't learn any lines and didn't get it.

Personally, I'm more inclined to believe Funk, especially as I can imagine Sly loving Kerry's look. Also I thought Terry's book was short on bragging and BS in general.

I think even Stallone mentioned at one point he was looking at wrestlers for the Drago part. KVE may have been name-checked, I can't recall off the top of my head. But the Kerry as Drago thing has been around for a long time. Besides Kerry being too fucked up to learn lines, Occam's Razor suggests that Stallone stopped searching when he found Dolph Lundgren because that guy had the absolute note-perfect look to play an ice-blooded Soviet killer.

Yeah I'm sure in 1984 when they were trying to find Drago they were all about hitting up some junior heavyweight nobody in Calgary for the role. Rocky IV came out four months before the Bulldogs even won the belts at WM2. Kerry is at least believable being pushed hard already by 1984.

Dynamite would have been absurd. Granted Stallone is a short guy so he could have matched up with Dynamite but Carl Weathers would have dwarfed him, completely ruined the whole idea of the movie and failed miserably. Visually a Kerry willing to cut his hair works, but you'd have to dub him to get anything that works.

As for the Hogan claim, I've heard crazy things about everyone from Big John Studd (I can sorta see it) and Gorilla Monsoon of all people being up for the part. I can't think of any better choice than Hogan though.

• 4 years later...