Pro Wrestling Only

Exile on Badstreet #5 = The Price of Ridiculousness Part 1 (Death of JCP)

11205023_10206346011390854_1234257273692

Kris is joined by David Bixenspan & Dylan Hales to discuss the end of Jim Crockett Promotions and the show is so loaded that we couldn’t even finish off the year in one show!!!! We talk about the odyssey of Lex Luger, the idiocy of Dusty Rhodes & Jim Crockett, & lots more. Listen to us talk about what not to do when you are running a wrestling promotion and how things would stay the same even after the Turner buyout.​

http://placetobenation.com/exile-on-badstreet-5-the-price-of-ridiculousness-part-1/

Is this interview being done on the beach because listening to seagulls and birds chirping really isn't helping me deal that I am listening to this at work

Do look forward to finishing this. I figure there will be many many more hours of these :)

I said it was like doing a podcast at The Masters and I felt like Jim Nantz

Is this interview being done on the beach because listening to seagulls and birds chirping really isn't helping me deal that I am listening to this at work

Do look forward to finishing this. I figure there will be many many more hours of these :)

I said it was like doing a podcast at The Masters and I felt like Jim Nantz

Hello, friends.

That was tremendous. I think the rich dude's yacht was the owner of the Chicago Blackhawks.

Also KrisZ when you mention JJ saying Garvin was looking good. Wasn't that during the phase of looking for a new Horseman before the Windham turn? Or do I have my timeline off a bit?

I agree. I thought it might be a chore to sit through, but the 3 hours and 50 minutes flew by in a flash. Much more quickly than, say, trying to watch WrestleMania IV.

I can't wait for Part II to be posted.

Thank you for all the effort and thought that clearly went in to this podcast. I have no idea how you all found the time for this, or how you all still had a voice by the end!

It is great to see a story like this broken down, with anecdotes and numbers to back it all up - entertaining and informative. I also think it kind of challenges the standard narrative that WWF killed the territories as it sounds like JCP and others were doing a pretty good job of killing themselves.

I'm only up into May and I've already learned a TON that I had no idea about only following the business thru the Apter mags at that point. I'm amazed how screwed up the booking & layout of shows was by that point. It's a wonder Dusty lasted in the booker role as long as he did. I imagine the office was so screwed up by that point, finances & whatever that they probably didn't even have time to care about how screwed up everything else was.

These shows are providing a wealth of knowledge to me as this was before I would discover the sheets at the tail end of 1988.

There were so many details to mention so this may have been missed. The post-Bash house show series with Flair/Luger was being pushed on TV as if there was only going to be one rematch and all these cities were bidding on getting the match. Only in the localized promo segments for your town would they say that your town had been chosen so come see Flair/Luger. It helped the draw too with MX/Arn & Tully on those shows. I think that era of excitement also kind of sped along people becoming disenchanted with it. They had the biggest houses in a while and more people to disappoint at once when Luger failed to get the job done. I could sense even as a mark then that by Sept when they started the 2nd run of rematches with special refs that fans were starting to figure out that Flair NEVER won and ALWAYS escaped with the title.

This show was also kind of fascinating to compare to the narrative presented in documentaries such as Good Old Days. Most of the narrative you hear about this time period kind of glosses over 1988 with all the talk of the move to Dallas being the last straw & the sale inevitable. They also make it sound like the financial losses were a complete surprise to Crockett when clearly there were issues 6-12 months before the sale that clearly everyone was well aware of.

After listening to this it seems like 1988 might have been one of the most newsworthy years of the 80s with all the backstage stuff going on with AWA/World Class and potential other groups looking to buy each other out. Lots of stuff to dig into there that I never knew.