Pro Wrestling Only

Draft & ongoing booking project interest?

Grimmas

I like the idea of using real territories and completely re-drafting all the talent. We'd have to have keep some semblance of reality in how we draft. It'd also make for some interesting decisions.

For example, say I'm drafting for Memphis and I have the first overall pick. Do I take Lawler knowing he's going to be a top guy for a long time in my territory? Or do I try and grab Lawler later in the draft because I know Lawler's value drops in every other promotion besides Memphis and other territory owners will probably pass on him in the first round?

It also gives you some freedom to try different things. Maybe I have some grand idea of getting Giant Baba over in a territory where Giant Baba never worked so I'll snatch up Baba. Maybe I want to see what I could do w/ Tully Blanchard in the WWF. You want your core roster to make sense for the territory you own, but you still want some freedom to experiment and have fun.

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it'd be better to set a starting point, say January 1st 1983 and everyone gets to pick ONE guy off the roster to keep and everyone else goes into the draft. I mean if I pick Memphis and someone drafts Lawler before I even get my first pick I'm pretty much just gonna say "fuck this"

I think you can get one territorial pick where each promoter can pick 1 guy from the existing roster

For Memphis this is really a no brainer but there are definitely gonna be some other territories where that 1 pick is going to involve a lot of thought.

Like the idea of one territorial pick.

How about a package deal where the territory comes with certain guys? WWF comes with Monsoon and Chief Jay Strongbow. Central States comes with Harley Race. GCW comes with Ole Anderson, etc. i.e. if they were part of the office, they aren't in the draft.

I originally thought that. I think the announcers and owner should come with it. How much roster comes with the area is a question to answer.

Managers tended to move around a bit more than announcers (obviously there are exceptions with guys who homesteaded) so I wouldn't really have a problem with all of them going into the draft.

I also wouldn't have a problem if the idea was you get to save one manager along with your one wrestler. Not sure if that would be unfair considering some territories didn't use them at all, some only used one and some had multiple managers.

Managers tended to move around a bit more than announcers (obviously there are exceptions with guys who homesteaded) so I wouldn't really have a problem with all of them going into the draft.

I also wouldn't have a problem if the idea was you get to save one manager along with your one wrestler. Not sure if that would be unfair considering some territories didn't use them at all, some only used one and some had multiple managers.

or you get to pick 1 piece of talent to stay, whether it is a wrestler or manager?

I'm not going to get hung up on managers either way because even as important as Jimmy Hart was to Memphis, I feel like you can book the territory without him. I don't know what you really do with Memphis if someone drafts Lawler before you though.

*I am just using Memphis as like my go to example. Not trying to call dibs on it or anything (For some reason I'm leaning towards wanting to do Southwest Championship Wrestling)

I'm sure there are going to be people wanting to do the big territories like AWA, WWF, and JCP.

For me I'd rather do something kinda small where I'm familiar enough with the promotion to kind of understand who was there and how things worked but not enough where I'd wind up subconsciously trying to re-do things that actually happened. Like, Southeastern is my favorite to watch but I'm not sure I could book it a whole lot differently than what ended up happening.

Ohhhh I didn't think about doing Montreal!

Wasn't Maple Leaf seasonal? Like they only ran during the summer? I kinda get the Canadian territories mixed up sometimes, I know the Maritimes was a seasonal group.

Another thing to consider: Guys who were freelance. Like how are we going to decide what happens with guys like Bruiser Brody, Abdullah the Butcher, The Road Warriors, etc.? Some kind of sharing agreement between the bookers?

I didn't know Montreal wasn't an NWA territory? Seems like they had working agreements with other promotions, especially Puerto Rico.

If freelance guys are available to be drafted that adds another bit of strategy to drafting. Like, do you take Brody early because you can use him as a trading tool and loan him out to other promotions in exchange for using one of their guys?

I was actually wondering about that today. It would essentially be the same thing as what was done at the time. It would also be pretty interesting to see how different promoters looked at it. is it a boon or a bane?

Is it great because you get the prestige of your guy being the champ?

Is it bad because your #1 draw is off around the territories while you are running shows?

With the prospect of national expansion that creates just another wrinkle. Also with regards to that aspect. How do the people playing promoters handle the idea of national expansion? The same way the promoters did at the time or with an eye to correcting their mistakes regarding talent and television?

Also, I've been wondering how it is decided if/when a new act to a territory gets over. Obviously in the mind of the booker what they are doing will work. How is it actually decided?