Pro Wrestling Only

Draft & ongoing booking project interest?

Grimmas

There are some big guns missing from that list so the deal is how do we want to go that route with AWA, WWF, Mid-South all not recognizing the NWA champ....

I like the idea that AWA can have their champ go to Memphis. NWA shares their champ and WWF and Mid-South are separate.However, whats stopping others from forming a new alliance. What if the WWF and Mid South wanted to start sharing the WWF champion? If the two guys in control would be into it, why not?

I think once we hammer out the main rules and know how many people are into this we will know answers to these questions.

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just as an idea, 1 tv show a week and at least one major show?

The original draft and then every six months or so, a new draft where everyone not picked is involved plus maybe some of your own talent?

Trades between people can happen whenever.

I've never looked at anything like this before, so these are just ideas.

Here's some basic ideas from other games, the conversation we've had so far, and some of my own ideas -

1. I think at least 1 TV show per week-ish is a good idea. As far as house shows go, since depending on the territory, you didn't have a big show every week, I don't think it's necessary to have a big show every week with results, but a few lines with the house show results at the end of your TV or whatever would be nice.

2. I think each promotion should be able to pick a guy before the actual draft, in relation to their promotion, and go from there with everybody else in the actual draft.

3. For guys like Brody, Andre, and the like who were largely freelance, maybe a separate pool or list of dates first come first serve where people can book them. Same thing for the World title holder, especially since we're talking about an NWA before Crockett largely took it over.

4. Same thing with the World title. Now, the question is, do we want to have a game-wide set of tag belts too? Title Changes can be a vote of the other promoters with the NWA IG.

5. As far as keeping guys on the roster, I'd say let people use who they want, drop who they want, pick up who they want as FA's after the draft, and the like (with a limit so nobody has a WCW in 1998 sized roster), but every six months or so, there's a rebalancing draft where you can protect 5 or 6 guys, but everybody else is up for grabs on your roster.

6. Injuries. My idea is basically, someone does a dice roll every x weeks (2, 4, 6, whatever) to determine what promotion gets hit by the monkey wrench of an injury. You could also do a dice roll to determine who gets injured and for how long (ie. Rolling a 13 means the 13th guy on your roster alphabetically is hurt, then rolling a 3 means he's out for three months.)

Here are all the promotions that were in existence in 1983

World Wrestling Federation

American Wrestling Association

World Class Championship Wrestling

Georgia Championship Wrestling

Mid-South Wrestling

Championship Wrestling from Florida

Pacific Northwest Wrestling

Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling

World Wrestling Association

Championship Wrestling Association (Memphis)

Central States Wrestling

Southwest Championship Wrestling

Southeastern Championship Wrestling

Maple Leaf Wrestling

International Wrestling (Montreal)

Stampede Wrestling

All-Star Wrestling (Vancouver)

Polynesian Pro Wrestling

Now you also have groups like Poffo's ICW that would die in 1983.....and the single town places like Houston & St. Louis

So, we could have up to 18 people join in! We will have a sign up thread later after a little more on rule discussion.

Here's some basic ideas from other games, the conversation we've had so far, and some of my own ideas -

1. I think at least 1 TV show per week-ish is a good idea. As far as house shows go, since depending on the territory, you didn't have a big show every week, I don't think it's necessary to have a big show every week with results, but a few lines with the house show results at the end of your TV or whatever would be nice.

2. I think each promotion should be able to pick a guy before the actual draft, in relation to their promotion, and go from there with everybody else in the actual draft.

3. For guys like Brody, Andre, and the like who were largely freelance, maybe a separate pool or list of dates first come first serve where people can book them. Same thing for the World title holder, especially since we're talking about an NWA before Crockett largely took it over.

4. Same thing with the World title. Now, the question is, do we want to have a game-wide set of tag belts too? Title Changes can be a vote of the other promoters with the NWA IG.

5. As far as keeping guys on the roster, I'd say let people use who they want, drop who they want, pick up who they want as FA's after the draft, and the like (with a limit so nobody has a WCW in 1998 sized roster), but every six months or so, there's a rebalancing draft where you can protect 5 or 6 guys, but everybody else is up for grabs on your roster.

6. Injuries. My idea is basically, someone does a dice roll every x weeks (2, 4, 6, whatever) to determine what promotion gets hit by the monkey wrench of an injury. You could also do a dice roll to determine who gets injured and for how long (ie. Rolling a 13 means the 13th guy on your roster alphabetically is hurt, then rolling a 3 means he's out for three months.)

1-2 are fine.

3. I'm iffy on freelancers being set up like the World Champ and touring. I'd prefer that they just have shorter contracts and they get drafted more often.

4. World champ voting, yes. For tag teams? Did they actually tour much?

5. Seems good. I like rebalance draft.. maybe less often. I like drafting of free agents. Although we have to be open to new people coming in, so expansion drafts will be thrown in.

6. Something along those lines would work out.

I love the idea of having a thread called "The NWA Convention" where we hobnob and talk to Jim Barnett and stuff.

Lobbying for votes of certain champions. Key decisions like whether to allow WWF back in or how best to go to war. Could be real interesting.

Is this going to be like risk where I try to convince everybody to do my evil bidding and then double cross everybody?

From the outside reading this thread, I wanted to drop in with a couple things from my brief stay in the Wrestling Classics version of this game -

They had the traveling champ thing - multiple, actually (World, Tag, Jr, IIRC) and they'd have a thread for owners where they had an opportunity to book dates for those. And then a convention thread every few months, or sometimes on an emergency basis, where they'd vote on new champs. You could also book Thesz as traveling NWA President and I think, at least at one time, a couple guys like Bruiser and Andre were also not on rosters and instead booked through a thread.

They also, as more people joined, had Main and Satellite promotions, with the Satellites being used for the newcomers they weren't sure would stick with it. Both had a roster limit. Then there'd be a dispersal draft of sorts every few months where you had to leave a handful of guys unprotected, like the Expansion Draft in the NFL.

Anyway, just wanted to throw that out there. Look forward to reading this new history!

I like what I'm reading so far. Let's hypothetically say we get 10 people interested in doing this. Ten different guys doing fantasy booking type of threads will make for some loooooong reading. Is there anything we can do to make sure write-ups are short and sweet and not make it seem like such a chore to stay up w/ what's going on?

I think people should be allowed to write as much as they want, but if you do a really long write-up of a TV show then maybe kind of a do a quick tl;dr summary at the end. Like I could flesh this out as much as I want but at the end of the day a summary version would go like this:

• Lance did a run down of today's TV show and what happened Monday at the Mid-South Coliseum
  • The Fabulous Ones had a squash match, followed by a brawl with The Moondogs
  • Bill Dundee cut a promo on Jerry Lawler about their upcoming match Monday night
  • Jerry Lawler beat Lou Winston in a squash, followed by a promo about Bill Dundee
  • Lance runs down the whole card for Monday night
  • The show ends with an expiration of time draw with Fire & Flame vs. The Nightmares

If you're starting from January of 83 and go with actual territories, what happens to the territories titles? Would they all be vacant?

I'd be interested in doing this based on how the final set-up is. Also, you'd have to add CSP to the available territories list (granted, i'm already calling dibs on it).

If you're starting from January of 83 and go with actual territories, what happens to the territories titles? Would they all be vacant?

I'd be interested in doing this based on how the final set-up is. Also, you'd have to add CSP to the available territories list (granted, i'm already calling dibs on it).

I say that's up to the individual person on how they want to do it. If they have the person on their roster that has that title and want to keep them as champion, then so be it. If they want them vacated or want different titles then so be it.

I think one thing that could happen is if we have people wanting to join that is more than the list of territories then they could run towns in territories like how JCP used to do it where they had 3 different bookers for house shows in Virgina, North Carolina, & South Carolina

Not sure if this was mentioned, but if this makes it as far as six months game time, along with update drafts, there should be a list of newer wrestlers who debuted in mid-1983, early-1984, mid-1984, etc... that can be added to rosters as well.

How do we want to do tag teams? If you have plans to make your top draw a tag team then it would put you at a disadvantage to use 2 draft picks for your top act instead of 1. But also the thing to keep in mind is if the start date is 1/1/83 a lot of the big name teams people would want to maybe put in that position aren't together yet. At that point neither the RNR Express, The Road Warriors or the Condrey/Eaton version of the MX exists yet.

How do we want to do tag teams? If you have plans to make your top draw a tag team then it would put you at a disadvantage to use 2 draft picks for your top act instead of 1. But also the thing to keep in mind is if the start date is 1/1/83 a lot of the big name teams people would want to maybe put in that position aren't together yet. At that point neither the RNR Express, The Road Warriors or the Condrey/Eaton version of the MX exists yet.

My take is tag teams are risk, however if you draft Afa I can't imagine somebody is going to take Sika from you in the next round.

My take is tag teams are risk, however if you draft Afa I can't imagine somebody is going to take Sika from you in the next round.

Depends on if you have someone I want and think I can trade you Sika for him :)

Depends on if you have someone I want and think I can trade you Sika for him :)

Strategy!