Pro Wrestling Only

1988 Wrestler of the Year Contenders

goodhelmet

Jerry Lawler – Lawler has great matches across the territories with feuds against Curt Hennig and Kerry Von Erich as well as great matches against Tommy Rich & Dutch Mantel.

Kerry Von Erich – Kerry pops back on the list thanks to the feud with Lawler spanning 3 territories but also for helping Texas to emerge as a place where quality wrestling takes place… with one foot.

(I feel like I should mention Michael Hayes and Buddy Roberts for helping to reignite Texas and kicking off their awesome feud)

Genichiro Tenryu

Jumbo Tsuruta

Stan Hansen

(Kawada and Footloose pop up as Tenryu’s little buddies. This era of Kawada’s career is one of the reasons I place Kawada over Misawa)

- All Japan is a broken record at this point. Guys like Hara and Yatsu are part of some awesome tags but no strong singles matches to hang their hat on. Footloose pops up. Takano & Nakano appear and suddenly All Japan has another strong cluster of tag teams to pick from .

Riki Choshu

Tatsumi Fujinami

- Choshu and Fujinami were feuding with each other which helps but also part of other singles matches and tags. Another banner year for New Japan but not at the peaks of 1987.

Keichi Yamada – The future Liger makes the list for the first time. Yamada was sensational in singles and tags. Maybe a weak Top Ten pick but definitely in the conversation.

The Four Horsemen

Lex Luger

- Flair, Windham , Arn & Tully were the elite of this company. Does Lex Luger deserve credit for coming into his own in the main event?

Maeda is an interesting case because he only has a handful of matches, but they are all great and the Big Two eventually had to play catch-up with his UWF.

Bobby Eaton was the glue in all of the great Fantastics matches (not to say he was carrying them, but he was the backbone) and should probably get some play for that alone, although that terrible match with Nikita at Bunkhouse Stampede may knock him out of contention.

Luger strikes me more as a "Most Improved" type than the wrestler of the year.

I think Lawler is a really good pick here.

Randy Savage vs. Ted Dibiase (3/12/88) [sNME]

Randy Savage vs. Ted Dibiase (3/27/88) [sNME]

Randy Savage vs. Ted Dibiase (4/25/88) [MSG]

Randy Savage vs. Ted Dibiase (5/27/88) [MSG]

Randy Savage vs. Ted Dibiase (6/25/88) [MSG]

Randy Savage vs. Ted Dibiase (7/9/88) [boston]

Randy Savage vs. Ted Dibiase (8/6/88) [boston]

Randy Savage vs. Ted Dibiase (7/23/88) [spectrum]

Randy Savage vs. Ted Dibiase (7/31/88) [Wrestlefest]

Randy Savage vs. Ted Dibiase (8/27/88) [spectrum]

Randy Savage vs. Ted Dibiase (9/24/88) [spectrum]

This is without adding in any other matches these guys had (against other opponents) in 88. Great chemistry as opponents. I might take a run at this soon to compare with OJ's findings (aka "The Gauntlet") a couple of years back.

I'm a big Dibiase fan prior to his WWF run. In WWF the character was entertaining and he was solid. But WWF wrestling at the time was far from my wheelhouse in terms of enjoyment. In my opinion it's mostly crap.

As for Savage. Big fan of the Macho Man more so prior to WWF. But still a fan of him in WWF. Really the entire persona. But I could never give him a WOTY for any year.

I swear I'm not picking on Parv or Ted here, but I really can't see him (or Savage) as WOTY contenders in 88. They definitely had some matches I liked, but nothing that I absolutely loved, nor is it a feud that jumps off the page at me. I think Lex is a real stretch too to be fair.

I will say that I thought Fujinami was brilliant in the 9/12/88 elimination match, and that was probably the last true "best in the world" level performance of his at least in the 80's.

• 1 month later...

I recall you enjoying the one we watched on PWSS.

DiBiase and Savage had excellent chemistry. I don't know what this idea is that those matches aren't good. Wrong headed and just plain wrong.

Both Ted and Savage are better wrestlers than fucking Demolition. And they had more good matches at **** or + together than ... Fucking demolition did in 1988.

Better wrestlers plus better matches = better year.

I recall you enjoying the one we watched on PWSS.

DiBiase and Savage had excellent chemistry. I don't know what this idea is that those matches aren't good. Wrong headed and just plain wrong.

Both Ted and Savage are better wrestlers than fucking Demolition. And they had more good matches at **** or + together than ... Fucking demolition did in 1988.

Better wrestlers plus better matches = better year.

I like the matches and I was not slagging them at all. What Eadie did in the Strike Force, Hart Foundation feuds was insanely great. Not to mention matches against Rockers and Bulldogs too. It was akin to Valentine in 86 carrying Beefcake.

It's not Worker of the year material and neither is Greg in 86.

I think it is for the WWF. I would put the Rockers match and the SummerSlam Harts match on par with the top DiBiase-Savage matches. It's not great year for the WWF so I don't think anyone would be in contention for overall wrestler of the year.

The carry job and control he has with Smash is amazing, especially when you look at how shitty Smash is out of that setting.