Pro Wrestling Only

1983 Project General Chatter Thread

rainmakerrtv

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There had been a question regarding Abdullah Tamba lately and I hadn't had time to find my research matches again.  The best one is here.

He's the Abdullah lookin' guy who actually sells, bumps and hits a running dropkick and that sideways jumping lucha headbutt in the second caida.  He's pretty agile for a 270 pounder and apparently did a tope, gaining him the nickname the Flying Elephant.  He would have been 34 in 1984.

First show finally up, sorry for the delay. My laptop broke. I should have the second show up either today or Wednesday, and then the third show to follow shortly. I will be up to date then.

I'm trying something different, let me know what you folks think.

sorry not been on much this last few days but had a bit of a crappy time. things are looking up now so going to post a modified version of 14/7 and 21/7 shows to allow me time to put  full effort in to the 28/7 show. i will also be posting more after looking at other shows. 

We all go sometimes through a rough patch but the beauty of this Project is that it can allow us to escape that rough patch by doing something we love. Glad to see you back and looking forward to see you progress in the game ;)

A thought hit me and I did some research.

In 1980 there were 28 cable networks (or channels I suppose).  Deregulation by the government in 1984 led to that being 79 by the end of 1989.  There were 53 million homes wired for cable at that time.  We all know the territories were affected greatly by cable and how different promoters handled it.  Do we want to work that into how things go as we get closer to 89?

43 minutes ago, dawho5 said:

A thought hit me and I did some research.

In 1980 there were 28 cable networks (or channels I suppose).  Deregulation by the government in 1984 led to that being 79 by the end of 1989.  There were 53 million homes wired for cable at that time.  We all know the territories were affected greatly by cable and how different promoters handled it.  Do we want to work that into how things go as we get closer to 89?

What kind of changes could you see happening?

32 minutes ago, LowBlowPodcast said:

What kind of changes could you see happening?

Maybe things go smoother with the way the NWA is working now.  Since there is such cooperation and sharing of talent, having these guys seen all across the country wouldn't be such a blow to the way the NWA works here as opposed to the way it affected the way the NWA actually worked.  If you saw a late night WCCW show in Canada or a Lutte show in Texas there wouldn't be a huge disconnect.

It would also mean you would have multiple promotions trying to air shows in different markets and the competition that would engender might hurt that cooperation (in a real life scenario).  But it could be a deal where most everything was seen in a lot of areas of the country and everybody basically had the prime time slots/ratings in their home area too.

In this game though, I think the scenario of multiple promotions trying to expand in various markets in the way you explain it will be diminished because of the NWA affiliations and such. Unless a territory decides to break off on his own at that time and decides to play hardball, then this could come into play. Right now, this would mostly apply to WWF and AWA but I think we still have a long way to go and figure this out as we progress :)

1 hour ago, awesomemiz said:

Am I ok to book local celebs for my big shows in no wrestling capacity?

Depends on who they were and how they would related to wrestling. I don't quite see Muhammad Ali and 1986 coming up to Portland but if you have other ones I'm sure that it'll be okay try to keep it as realistic as you can with the times the location and the product.