Pro Wrestling Only

NWA Champion Discussion - Poll Starts 7/3

Beast

Members of the NWA, please share your top 1-3 picks for the next NWA Champion and reasons why.

On Friday, a poll with the most common choices will go up for July 4th weekend. Voters have those three days to make a choice. Once everyone votes or the weekend passes (whatever comes sooner), the NWA's next champion should be decided. Discussion of timing will follow.

1. Ric Flair - The only reason we put the belt back on Harley is because the money is in the chase. Let's build it up and do it right.

2. Nick Bockwinkel - The NWA Champion needs to have a certain level of prestige. Few guys have what Bock and Flair have.

3. Roddy Piper - He's gonna be the hottest thing in wrestling, I'm just not sure this is the role he's fit for at the moment.

Shouldn't we keep this under wraps from the AWA, don't want them swooping in and sabotaging any potential plans?

There aren't going to be any secret forums because this is all for fun.

But if anyone feels more comfortable just sending me your picks in message, that's fine.

Ric Flair - Logical choice and someone who will be able to go anywhere and everywhere to work

Michael Hayes - I hate to pick two MACW guys, but someone got this conversation started and he's interesting to think about as champion

Butch Reed- Here's a guy I'd like to see if we could develop into a champion, perhaps too soon right now, but give it some time and he could be a historic champion for multiple reasons

From the other thread...

Jerry Lawler from Memphis - Can work face or heel in multiple teerirories. Has plenty of experience in working long world title prpgrams. Promo ability and innovative mind will help programs draw at the gate.
Kerry Von Erich - Fritz Von Erich is an esteemed member of the NWA, a good Christian and an honorable father... traits passed down to his All American sons. Kerry is by far the best talent in the ring and most adapt to the rigors of the road. With his good Christian upbringing, he should be able to navigate the pitfalls of the road and would be a benefit with no headaches to promoters across the country.
Michael Hayes - I must disagree with Mr. Bill Watts who claims Hayes is little more than a mouthpiece for his T-birds group. He has proven he can draw money on a large scale in order to pop a territory and did it on a large scale in Mid South, Georgia and Texas. Hayes has already proven he can be an excellent heel but has rock star appeal for the up and coming Mtv generation. If the NWA is to survive, we must begin to appeal to the younger generation and the process should start now. Under the tutelage of Mr Watts and Mr Von Erich, their Christian American values are sure to have influenced Mr Hayes and i can't see where these unfounded rumors of being a rebel rouser and locker room disturbance are coming from.

Shouldn't we keep this under wraps from the AWA, don't want them swooping in and sabotaging any potential plans?

There aren't going to be any secret forums because this is all for fun.

But if anyone feels more comfortable just sending me your picks in message, that's fine.

I was just joking. Anyway my 3 picks are...

Jerry Lawler

Ric Flair

Stan Hansen

I don't know how I feel about Hansen as a touring champ. He's certainly got all of the tools, but I question how well he would do given his Japan schedule.

If we do put Flair on the back burner for now, Bockwinkel would make an excellent transitional champ. Lawler would be a very good transitional champ as well. I like the idea of Hayes but he needs to be built up more if he's going to be in the role of traveling champion, as would Butch Reed. Slaughter is a very interesting idea, albeit one that would change my plans a lot.