Pro Wrestling Only

NWA On Demand

Butch Reed vs JYD 6/22/84 Ghetto Street Fight

This was even better The crowd is so hot for JYD.. JYD is dressed like he's ready for a SF. Reed looks like he's ready for Solid Gold. We get a quick shine with JYD walking tall.Reed gets color early. Reed hits him with some foreign object. He gets some serious heat on the Dog. Reed is so good here. He's just getting so much sympathy on the Dog. He rips off JYD's shirt, whips him with a belt. kicks his ass, makes him bleed.Piledrives him on the floor' and Hits him with high impact stuff. JYD has finally had enough and makes a perfectly timed comeback with piss and vinegar. JYD gives Reed a payback pile driver. Sonny King and Ernie Ladd come out at the finish.The ref awards the match to JYD. 4*

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is per the Observer Sat. update

• Bruce Tharpe sent out a press release announcing that NWA Classics will start uploading matches at faster than the promised one a day clip, with all of these matches showing up on the service this week:

Kerry Von Erich vs. Kamala, Rock 'n' Roll Express vs. Dirty White Boys, Gino Hernandez vs. Nick Kozak, Rocky Johnson vs. Bruiser Brody, Hector Guerrero vs. Jose Lothario, Buddy Landell vs. Al Madril, Fantastics vs. Dutch Mantell & Bill Dundee, Dusty Rhodes & Leroy Brown vs. Gary Hart & Killer Krupp, Midnight Express & Ernie Ladd vs. Rock 'n' Rll Express & Hacksaw Jim Duggan, Dick Slater vs. Jake Roberts, Dr. Death Steve Williams vs. Mark Reagan, Ghetto Streetfight: Junkyard Dog vs. Butch Reed, Dog Collar Match: Junkyard Dog vs. Butch Reed, Hector & Chavo Guerrero vs. Jose Lothario & Al Madril, Ernie Ladd vs. Magnum TA, 20-man Bunkhouse Battle Brawl, Scaffold Match: Rock N Roll Express vs. Midnight Express (with Jim Cornette), NWA World Title Match - Ric Flair vs. Magnum TA, Gino Hernandez & Tully Blanchard vs. Junkyard Dog & Tony Atlas, Terry Gordy vs. Dick Murdoch, and Terry Taylor vs. Jake Roberts

Butch Reed vs JYD 6/22/84 Ghetto Street Fight

This was even better The crowd is so hot for JYD.. JYD is dressed like he's ready for a SF. Reed looks like he's ready for Solid Gold. We get a quick shine with JYD walking tall.Reed gets color early. Reed hits him with some foreign object. He gets some serious heat on the Dog. Reed is so good here. He's just getting so much sympathy on the Dog. He rips off JYD's shirt, whips him with a belt. kicks his ass, makes him bleed.Piledrives him on the floor' and Hits him with high impact stuff. JYD has finally had enough and makes a perfectly timed comeback with piss and vinegar. JYD gives Reed a payback pile driver. Sonny King and Ernie Ladd come out at the finish.The ref awards the match to JYD. 4*

Butch Reed's street fight attire was questionable, as was him taking the time to make sure his shirt was tucked in after taking over on JYD. Damn this crowd is hot.

This is an awesome match. Butch Reed is great just beating on the Dog, whipping him, choking him with the belt and making the crowd pelt him with trash. To the point where they have to get on the PA and tell people to stop throwing things into the ring. JYD's comeback is awesome the the crowd is fucking HOT. Finish is pretty lame though, I never did understand Mid-South's obsession with ref bumps and bullshit in these No DQ matches. Doesn't hurt the match though this is still really damn good.

Bonus points to Carl Fergie who didn't do the usual "ref walks around the ring and sweeps all the trash out with his foot" thing so most of the crap that got thrown into the ring stayed there which just added to the gritty street fight feel.

• Bruce Tharpe sent out a press release announcing that NWA Classics will start uploading matches at faster than the promised one a day clip, with all of these matches showing up on the service this week:
Kerry Von Erich vs. Kamala, Rock 'n' Roll Express vs. Dirty White Boys, Gino Hernandez vs. Nick Kozak, Rocky Johnson vs. Bruiser Brody, Hector Guerrero vs. Jose Lothario, Buddy Landell vs. Al Madril, Fantastics vs. Dutch Mantell & Bill Dundee, Dusty Rhodes & Leroy Brown vs. Gary Hart & Killer Krupp, Midnight Express & Ernie Ladd vs. Rock 'n' Rll Express & Hacksaw Jim Duggan, Dick Slater vs. Jake Roberts, Dr. Death Steve Williams vs. Mark Reagan, Ghetto Streetfight: Junkyard Dog vs. Butch Reed, Dog Collar Match: Junkyard Dog vs. Butch Reed, Hector & Chavo Guerrero vs. Jose Lothario & Al Madril, Ernie Ladd vs. Magnum TA, 20-man Bunkhouse Battle Brawl, Scaffold Match: Rock N Roll Express vs. Midnight Express (with Jim Cornette), NWA World Title Match - Ric Flair vs. Magnum TA, Gino Hernandez & Tully Blanchard vs. Junkyard Dog & Tony Atlas, Terry Gordy vs. Dick Murdoch, and Terry Taylor vs. Jake Roberts
Ah, shit. I now am guilted into buying this. Once the Roku app rolls out, they'll get my money.

Ah, shit. I now am guilted into buying this. Once the Roku app rolls out, they'll get my money.

Word is that there hasn't been a large amount of subscribers to begin with and that's why Tharpe is releasing more stuff.

If people want WWE Network to ever upload some of their territory footage, then they need to help make this thing a success. Because if this fails it just strengthens WWE's "no one cares about old footage" attitude.

That's not to mention how awesome some of the matches are that they've uploaded so far and that it's totally worth the $8.99 all on it's own.

Ted DiBiase and Steve Williams vs. The Rock 'n' Roll Express (5/3/85)

I really dug the simple structure of this one. Rock n Rolls got to shine until the transition where DiBiase rammed Morton's back into the ring post and then the heels went to work focusing on the injured back until the finish. The formula is the formula for a reason, it's effective.

Ted demonstrated what I've said many times about him: he's one of the best FEEDERS in the business. Look closely at that early shine sequence again and see how quickly he's back up to his feet again and again to take another dropkick. It's little things like that that made DiBiase an ELITE level worker in the mid-80s. He made Robert Gibson look incredible during that early portion. Doc was solid in this match and I liked the fact that he didn't milk that bearhug but instead threw Morton down to the mat after a couple of seconds like a ragdoll. His multiple backbreakers were good too and Ted dropped a HUGE backbreaker himself. This is real solid stuff featuring two good teams and two all-time great performers (Morton and DiBiase). Probably a bit short to go much higher than ...

***3/4

Cool little segment post match with Ted giving a good promo and tussling with Paul Boesch over the prospect of a rematch.

Ted DiBiase vs. Hacksaw Jim Duggan (11/9/84)

Pretty sure this dating is correct looking at both Duggan's hair and the fact that this had no stips with a clean (cheap) finish.

These two have excellent chemistry and this was a sprint. Not quite up to some of their other classic matches, but it had super energy and, if my dating is correct, provides a neat, logical in-ring context for the next chapters of the feud in Houston. i.e. There's no way this match can not have some sort of stip or else Ted will just cheat to win. Very fun.

***1/2

JYD vs Butch Reed Dog Collar Match 7/20/84

I loved this match. We get the typical heel schtick not wanting to put the collar on and such. Reed did this real well. Finally they hook it up and we get a JYD shine. He rolls up the chain into his fist and works over Reed's ribs. The 1st few strikes looked shitty till they got into a groove. Reed cuts him off with an ankle pick using the chain. Reed just busts up the Dog with the chain.JYD begins to bleed and Reed just goes after the cut. Reed really gets a nice heat segment on him. JYD's comeback is good. He busts open Reed. In some pretty vicious spots JYD punches Reed. Reed sells like he's about to take a bump, JYD holds him up while he's out and punches him again. Reed cuts him off, but JYD tricks him and links the chain to the corner. Reed is pulling like he's choking out the Dog. In reality JYD gets back in the ring and delivers a headbutt for the 3. Post match Reed and Ernie Ladd destroy JYD. The Fantastics and Duggan makes the save all lathered up from his shower. 3 1/2*

This was an awesome chain match. I like Dog Collar matches better than straight chain matches because the chain being around the neck really makes it feel that much more brutal and dangerous. Butch Reed was awesome in this, especially liked him using the chain to take out Dog's feet after Dog started the match kicking his ass. Also dug the elbowdrops where he wrapped the chain around his arm first. I also really loved the finish to this and Butch Reed pulling on the ringpost while JYD sneaks in behind him got a big laugh from me.

I watched Nick Kozak vs. Gino Hernandez and thought it was pretty good. I have never even really heard of Nick Kozak but he's pretty good here as a fiery babyface and he's definitely better than Putski & Ox Baker so if you enjoyed those 2 matches you should like this even more. This was another Gino match where he talks trash on the mic and gets jumped by someone not in the match, this time running down David Von Erich who can't compete in their scheduled match due to Gino putting 20+ stitches in his head and then getting attacked by Kevin Von Erich.

Looks like there is a Dynamic Duo vs. Tony Atlas & JYD match getting ready to go up soon, I'm looking forward to that. Based on the two big gimmick matches with Butch Reed I think people might be underselling JYD as a worker.

JYD vs Butch Reed Dog Collar Match 7/20/84

I loved this match. We get the typical heel schtick not wanting to put the collar on and such. Reed did this real well. Finally they hook it up and we get a JYD shine. He rolls up the chain into his fist and works over Reed's ribs. The 1st few strikes looked shitty till they got into a groove. Reed cuts him off with an ankle pick using the chain. Reed just busts up the Dog with the chain.JYD begins to bleed and Reed just goes after the cut. Reed really gets a nice heat segment on him. JYD's comeback is good. He busts open Reed. In some pretty vicious spots JYD punches Reed. Reed sells like he's about to take a bump, JYD holds him up while he's out and punches him again. Reed cuts him off, but JYD tricks him and links the chain to the corner. Reed is pulling like he's choking out the Dog. In reality JYD gets back in the ring and delivers a headbutt for the 3. Post match Reed and Ernie Ladd destroy JYD. The Fantastics and Duggan makes the save all lathered up from his shower. 3 1/2*

This was an awesome chain match. I like Dog Collar matches better than straight chain matches because the chain being around the neck really makes it feel that much more brutal and dangerous. Butch Reed was awesome in this, especially liked him using the chain to take out Dog's feet after Dog started the match kicking his ass. Also dug the elbowdrops where he wrapped the chain around his arm first. I also really loved the finish to this and Butch Reed pulling on the ringpost while JYD sneaks in behind him got a big laugh from me.

I laughed my ass off too.

So Gino Hernandez & Tully Blanchard vs. Tony Atlas & JYD just got put up and I already watched it. I'm not really a star rating guy but I'd say it's somewhere around the *** range. Maybe more fun than good but I like all these guys so I really enjoyed it. Gino & Tully are so great at being two pieces of shit in over their heads against two guys who are bigger, stronger & tougher.

• Loss unpinned this topic