Pro Wrestling Only

NWA On Demand

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for all the answers. The promotion name I've found in various places is Gulf Athletic Club with the TV being called Houston Wrestling. Anyone have any info on that?

I believe the promotional name was Houston Wrestling. Gulf Athletic Club was the corporation name like Foothills Athletic Club was for Stampede or Southwest Sports was for World Class.

Fantastics vs Guerreros was a lot of fun but definitely a mess at times. There were some spots that get an A for effort but were just all over the place and the pacing was enjoyably chaotic but it was a little jarring as they had a few mini heat segments towards the end which was less than the sum of its parts. I imagine it was a very fun match to watch live at the time though.

I enjoyed Bruce Tharpe's interview with Dave Meltzer but Bruce is still very much a promoter at heart. I couldn't help but smile at him saying "Every match that we've got up there is a main event that people are gonna love."

I thought it was interesting that he said he had a few people reach out to him with libraries to sell after the site launch but he didn't really have the time or money to dedicate to anything but the Houston library.

Just watched the Guerreros vs. Doc/Dibiase Cage match and man that was great stuff. I love the Guerreros more with every match. shoe already said what the finish was but I don't like to do that so I will just say that shit got heat with me even if it is 30 years later. Now I want to see The Guerreros get their revenge! But none of that is up yet :(

I've been keeping track of what I've watched so far and I've seen 37 out of the 90 matches that are up right now. That's a pretty rapid fire pace for me when it usually takes me close to a year to finish a Best of the 80s set.

Rock N Roll Express & Jose Lothario vs. Hector & Chavo Guerrero & Buddy Landell 1/18/85

This match was on the DVDVR set so I'd seen it before but that was a long time and many...well never mind but there are reasons I have forgot it. I seem to remember it had pretty rough VQ on that set but that's obviously not a problem here. This is so much fun and the crowd is HOT. I loved seeing the heels stooge and bump for Jose's punches early and Jose can still throw a nice punch which is good because that's about all he has left in the bag. Lots of fun double & triple teaming by the heels and a really good false finish that I totally bit on. Just another match building a case for Chavo & Hector as an all time great team.

Kevin Von Erich vs. Chris Adams 1/18/85

Another match that made the Mid-South set. I distinctly remember that I didn't like this as much as everyone else and clearly there was something wrong with me because this is an AWESOME fight. It's a short match going only a little over 6 minutes but it's all action. Just two dudes who hate each other who and want to inflict punishment. Check this one out for sure it's well worth the 6 and a half minutes of your life.

Jake Roberts vs. Terry Daniels - 3/22/85

Jake Roberts dominates Daniels in the early going with the crowd rooting Daniels on. Interestingly enough though Daniels is booed when he throws the first punch at Roberts who had been pretty much wrestling clean up to that point. This is pretty much an extended squash but an enjoyable watch although I did not care for Terry Daniels selling of the DDT.

Fantastics vs Guerreros was a lot of fun but definitely a mess at times. There were some spots that get an A for effort but were just all over the place and the pacing was enjoyably chaotic but it was a little jarring as they had a few mini heat segments towards the end which was less than the sum of its parts. I imagine it was a very fun match to watch live at the time though.

I just watched this and enjoyed it and it really was all action. I think it probably would have benefited if they'd have slowed down just a bit and down more to work over Bobby Fulton but this is still a fun match.

I thoroughly enjoyed the Tharpe conversation with Meltzer. It really hit home just what an undertaking this is and how important it is to have a 3rd party outside of WWE preserving wrestling history. I feel like subscribing to support the venture as much as actually watching any of the content. I really hope they make some money at this since it needs to be worth everyone's time to go to the trouble of getting everything up there. Highlights of the podcast for those that haven't listened or don't subscribe:

--the oldest match they have found is Thesz/Longson from the 50s

--they have stuff from the late 60s (he mentioned a Keomuka vs. Kowalski match) thru 1986

--said there are 2-3 El Santo matches

--they eventually hope to market blu-rays or "box sets" as he called them & mentioned that he would like to release Dusty & Bockwinkel sets

--they had a literal truckload of stuff they took from Texas to Indianapolis where they are doing the digitizing

--Boesch had stuff cataloged & they haven't even gone thru the entirety of what's cataloged yet & are constantly finding extra gems that weren't catalogued. They tried to question him on the amount of uncatalogued stuff but he didn't give a straight answer.

I'm guessing the uptick in orders was more due to that show than anything at Fanfest. My experiences with Fanfest is word of something like this doesn't exactly spread there to any great degree. It's mostly people there who either don't interact a whole lot with others or people who have their cliques that they hang with every year. A vast majority aren't people looking to actively spend money on anything current (or ongoing as the case may be). I think Cornette having Tharpe on his show would be a blast.

I interviewed him For Titans of Wrestling. The 1st interview was the most informative. Nothing covered on Meltzer's interview wasn't hit it on in my interview except the El Santo stuff, and Duke Keomuta stuff. We had him on a 2 nd time with Kevin Sullivan and just reinforced stuff.

OMG vs Brad Armstrong 3/22/85

This was a lot of fun. We open up with some cat and mouse. Brad goes to work on the arm for a bit. This was fine. Gang cuts him off and uses his weight as an advantage. Armstrong shows decent fire fighting underneath. He tries a comeback and does an atomic drop. The Gang's weight is too much and Brad leg gives out. This pretty much leads finish. This was a lot of fun .

I actually didn't like this too much and though that Brad taking out his own leg by atomic dropping Gang made Brad look pretty stupid.

Bruce Tharpe tweeted that they had a ton of new subscribers today, which I would assume is due to word of mouth going around at the Charlotte fanfest which is only good news for those of us loving the site so far.

If that was the case maybe they'll have another Mid-South reunion during mania week. Or the NWA could book an event in Houston like Charlotte's fan fest and push nwaclassics.com.

Gino Hernandez vs. Bob Markus

This is another example of Gino getting an entertaining match out of a guy who doesn't seem to be all that good. Bob Markus is more mobile than Putski & Ox Baker but he still doesn't really seem to be all that good at anything. Gino is awesome.

The Grappler vs Tiger Conway Jr. 12/11/81

This was ok, smart work but nothing spectacular. Tiger Conway has a distinct lack of fire as a babyface. The ref bump in this is pretty weak. Not anything to go out of your way to watch.

• Loss unpinned this topic