Pro Wrestling Only

NWA On Demand

Rock n Roll Express vs Dirty White Boys 3/22/85

I believe this is a new one too.This is the Express putting over a new team in the territory to give them credibility. Wins and losses mattered here. This is really basic, but psychology is priority. We get a real quick shine sequence. The DWB's cut Morton off and goes to town on his back. The DWB's heat segment was well worked and built to the finish. The teams maximized on the time that they got. 3 1/4*

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Funks vs Wahoo McDaniel & Ivan Putski

This was a great match that made good use of the double referee 2/3 falls stipulations. It started off alright. They displayed how the double referee situation would keep interference down with Terry trying to interfere on a bunch of headlocks and bearhugs by Putski. All of that lead into the finish of the first fall that was really well done and timed by everyone involved with the Funks still getting away with cheating for the pinfall. From the first pinfall on this match was awesome. Dory sold the beating he took going into the second fall and they made good use of Putski's limited talents, keeping him chasing after Terry and going off on offense and mostly out of the ring. The second fall ended with an abdominal stretch which Boesch called an Oklahoma hold. He also bizarrely referred to a body slam as a crotch hold slam or something. The Funks' isolation spots were really good and the cheap finish of the 3rd fall made sense in the context of the match with all the referees holding Terry back from breaking up a second abdominal stretch and him striking one in desperation, not wanting to lose the titles. The Funks really were a great team.

Tony Atlas & Junkyard Dog vs. Tully Blanchard and Gino Hernandez (10/8/82)

Who the hell was Bruce's co-commentator here? Sounded like he might be Sean Mooney's long lost brother, and just as natural. What the hell, ha ha ha.

I'm not the biggest fan of Tony Atlas, but this looks interesting. Well it was no great shakes to be honest, but an enjoyable enough babyface vs heel affair. I thought Atlas's weird clapping attacks looked quite good.

Fake Mooney was hilarious during the ending.

*1/2

Larry Lane vs Chavo Guerrero (1/30/81)

Paul Boesch mumbling about various different lightweight categories in Mexico was fairly entertaining. I also dig when lower card guys like Lane get like ZERO reaction from the crowd. If modern WWE wasn't so scared of not having everyone on TV be a "superstar", they'd recognise the value of that in presenting stars as stars. Because you see, what makes tall people tall? It's short people. What makes stars stars? It's non-stars. Simple logic. Lane was not a pure jobber, of course, but he was a no name relatively speaking. You need no names to create names.

All that said, I thought this was really fun and well worked. Lane looked decent to me and Chavo is great both on offense and selling. Terrific body slam. Great execution on his piledriver. But Lane had some good stuff too. Seemingly Dory had taught him how to uppercut. His knees looked good.

This was like a competitive squash. In Houston terms Lane was a JTTS and Chavo about upper midcard. At least that what it seemed like to me.

I dug this a good bit. Just nice watchable old school wrestling, right up my alley.

Rock n Roll Express vs Dirty White Boys 3/22/85

I believe this is a new one too.This is the Express putting over a new team in the territory to give them credibility. Wins and losses mattered here. This is really basic, but psychology is priority. We get a real quick shine sequence. The DWB's cut Morton off and goes to town on his back. The DWB's heat segment was well worked and built to the finish. The teams maximized on the time that they got. 3 1/4*

I was kind of disappointed with this one. That could just be the fact that my favorite RNR matches are the ones where they have a long segment of their opponents bumping and stooging on them before the inevitable "Ricky Morton gets beat on" part. This was too short for that so we almost went straight to the FIP section. It was still a good match though.

I liked the commentator for this match WAY more than I like the guy who has been doing all the other matches though. Hopefully that guy Alex del Barrio will stick around.

Finally took the 30 minute plunge and watched the Andre vs. Harley Race NWA Title match. And yea, it's awesome. And I still say that despite them doing like my least favorite transition of "dude hits a vertical suplex but somehow hurts himself more in the process"

Andre looked great in this and is more evidence that Andre was really damn good before he got immobile.

I watched the two ring battle royal and the promo after went a bit long but it still got me ready to watch the Reed vs Kamala matches.

I liked the Reed/Kamala Lumberjack match the other one not so much. But if you haven't watched the Reed/Landell match yet you need to do that ASAP

If you are a subscriber and haven't watched The Bunkhouse Battle Royal yet, definitely check it out. So much cool stuff in there and it even has some fun psychology with guys working to try and get Dr. Death's football helmet off. The visual at the end of the bloody winner swinging around a chain was pretty bad ass too.

Really didn't care too much for the 2 out of 3 falls Superstar Graham vs. Dusty Rhodes match. I wouldn't recommend it unless you're a huge fan of either guy as it's pretty long, going over 20 minutes.

I watched that match sometime last year and found it boring.

The first Kamala vs Reed match is lackluster, mainly because it needed a couple of more definitive hope spots out of Reed. The lumberjack match was better but it needed a few more minutes. I don't know if Reed demanded the lumberjack stip after the finish of the first match but if so, he came off looking really bad. Honestly, I would have liked to see the first end in DQ due to interference. ,

EDIT: I'm looking at the results now and we're missing a few. The first singles match after the Battle Royal WAS a DDQ, but then he beat him in another singles match AND a tag (w/Parsons vs Kamala and Williams) before the Lumberjack one too. So in five matches, Reed wasn't able to beat Kamala once, and lost to him four times. Geez, and after the lumberjack match, Barbarian (who interfered in it) beat him in a street fight. Weird run for Reed there.

Butch Reed apparently had some issues with Bill Dundee as the booker so that might have played into it. I know in his shoot interview he said that Bill Dundee got Barbarian all hyped up to really lay into Reed in their match and after that Butch Reed went back to the locker room and threatened to kick Dundee's ass for it.

• Loss unpinned this topic