Pro Wrestling Only

NWA On Demand

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched Mil Mascaras vs. Mr Hito. It was alright. Most people will be shocked that Mascaras lost a fall clean but it wasn't that unusual for him to do that.

I expected Hito to be a generic post-war Japanese heel with the cut off tights with square kneepads, karate chops, salt, etc. but halfway through the match I remembered that he was the legendary Stampede wrestler trainer and enforcer. I was thinking he was the same guy as Masao Ito but he's clearly not.

I watched Mil Mascaras vs. Mr Hito. It was alright. Most people will be shocked that Mascaras lost a fall clean but it wasn't that unusual for him to do that.

I expected Hito to be a generic post-war Japanese heel with the cut off tights with square kneepads, karate chops, salt, etc. but halfway through the match I remembered that he was the legendary Stampede wrestler trainer and enforcer. I was thinking he was the same guy as Masao Ito but he's clearly not.

I was actually disappointed that it WASN'T Masao Ito but I haven't watched the match yet.

I also want to throw out for the "Mascaras never jobbed" crowd this story of Mil Mascaras losing a stretcher tag match in Memphis and being stretchered out after the match.

http://kentuckyfriedwrestling.com/theword2/simply-fabulous-wwe-hall-of-famer-jerry-lawler-shares-his-memories-of-memphis-wrestling-legend-jackie-fargo/

In fact, the first card I attended at the Coliseum in January 1979 featured heel Austin Idol bringing in Mil Mascaras—one of the biggest stars in the country from his exposure via the Apter mags—to be his partner against Lawler and Fargo in a stretcher match. Although Mascaras had a rep for being an uncooperative egomaniac, he sold big time for Fargo and did the stretcher job when the aging legend repeatedly stomped the masked man’s ribs after Mil crashed into the canvas after missing a flying bodypress from the top rope.

Years later, when I told Jim Cornette of this night at the Coliseum in 1979, he reminded me that Memphis had a rep for billing established masked wrestlers with no-name guys under the hood, so he figured it was probably Pepe Lopez—not Aaron Rodriguez—under the trademark Mil mask. (Never mind that Lopez had been killed years earlier in the car crash that took the life of Lawler’s manager Sam Bass.)

Jarrett, however, confirmed for me that it was indeed the renowned Mascaras selling like crazy for Lawler and Fargo. He explained that in the late ’70s he had become close friends with Mexican promoter Salvador Lutteroth, who had helped launch the career of Lucha Libre’s first breakout superstar, El Santo, and transformed the masked star into a national pop-culture phenomenon. When Mil arrived at the Coliseum that night, Jarrett says he sat with Rodriguez for a couple of hours, joyfully swapping stories about Lutteroth, who had once hosted the Memphis promoter at his house in Mexico. Mil was clearly enjoying himself when he asked, “So, Jerry, what do you want me to do tonight?” Jarrett replied, “Well, Mil, I know what I want you to do…but I don’t know if you’ll go for it. But he did.” And that’s how Mil Mascaras did a stretcher job for Jackie Fargo in Memphis. If I hadn’t seen it with my own eyes from the general admission seats at the Coliseum, I doubt that’d I’d believed it either.

Watched it too. I enjoyed the early stuff but lost interest. I liked Mil's angry side with those short stiff punches in the 3rd fall.

Just watched Hector & Chavo Guerrero vs. Al Madril & Jose Lothario and it was way better than I thought it would be. I think I liked this better than any other tag match I've seen so far on NWA Classics. Part of that could be that I came in with low expectations due to the babyface side but they more than held up their end of the bargain. The finish was a little abrupt and disappointing though. Hopefully we get some more from this feud.

After really liking the Guerreros tag from this morning, I watched the Bandolero death match with The Guerreros vs. DiBiase & Dr Death. This was a fun match with a really hot crowd. I liked the opening stuff with The Guerreros really taking it to DiBiase & Dr Death who couldn't get out of the blocks for the first few minutes. Some of the pole climbing stuff got a bit tedious but the finish was still really awesome and I'll be watching the Cage match between these two teams next.s

shoe rated this one as 2* and I don't do star ratings but I would say I probably enjoyed it more than he did.

The best thing that ever happened to Paul Boesch and Houston fans was Joe Blanchard being an idiot and deciding he didn't need Paul Boesch anymore and deciding to try and run Houston on his own leading to Bill Watts becoming partners with Boesch. The cards get way better after Watts starts sending talent instead of the cards being made up of dudes like Scott Casey, Tank Patton & Moon Mulligan.

Houston was a town considered part of the NWA. During some of the interviews NWA was in the background. He was affiliated with the 3 big Texas booking offices and would use that talent to fill out the cards . Though he'd a lot of times bring in headliners from other places.

Questions about Harley/Andre:

1) What was the name of Boesch's promotion? Was it just NWA Houston, or did he just run as the NWA?

2) The venue this is taking place in is The Summit, yes?

The venue is the Sam Houston Coliseum. I think.

1) "Houston Wrestling", I believe was the name of the promotion. Might just have been "Paul Boesch Promotions" or something.

2) 99% of these matches are from the Sam Houston Coliseum. The card in question, however, with Andre/Harley was, indeed, at the Houston Summit.

• Loss unpinned this topic