Pro Wrestling Only

Who are the stars five years from now?

The Chief

Not so much the "major stars", but which of these guys are and are not in WWE in five years?

Sheamus

Dolph Ziggler

Luke Harper

The Miz

Big E

Kofi Kingston

Kevin Owens

Rusev

Damien Sandow

Xavier Woods

Ryback

Curtis Axel

Jack Swagger

I suppose Swagger, Axel and Sandow have the biggest chances of not surviving 5 years on the roster (maybe not even the next roster-cut round). I would have put Kingston and Woods on that list too but the New Day act saved them.

Not so much the "major stars", but which of these guys are and are not in WWE in five years?

Sheamus: 50/50. He is beyond stale, even with a new look and heel turn, just because he's done everything already. A few years away in Japan, ROH, etc. would do him a world of good.

Dolph Ziggler: If he's not still there, it's because he got tired of being held back (Christian) and chose to go elsewhere.

Luke Harper: I don't see him still being in the WWE in five years, unless a miraculous singles push materializes out of nowhere. He had a cup of coffee with the IC Title, but it didn't last.

The Miz: He'll be there as long as he wants to be. He is a fantastic ambassador for the WWE.

Big E and Kofi Kingston: They're hot now, but five years from now? Big E is probably more likely than Kofi.

Kevin Owens: He'll still be there.

Rusev: Foreign heels have a short shelf life, but I think he'll be around.

Damien Sandow: I originally said no, but now I'm saying maybe. He could have a JBL-like resurgence if someone makes it happen for him.

Xavier Woods: 50/50. There's so much untapped potential there, personality and character-wise.

Ryback: Probably, but yawn!

Curtis Axel: I'd be shocked if he was still on the roster in five years.

Jack Swagger: Ditto.

I think Rusev will be fine. For as much hate as people have spewed about them "ruining" him, evolving his character past "generic foreign heel monster" has been good for him and he's shown that he can carry segments with his charisma and mic work. The biggest problem in his current stuff is that Lana is an awful babyface and Ziggler is...well he's Ziggler.

Great thread that speaks to a lot of issues. It'll be cool to look back in five years to see how correct/wrong the predictions are. Part-time legends five years from now:

• Cena, of course. His movie career may take him off the main roster, but he’s such a company man that he’ll work as much as possible.
  • Punk (currently 36) will be back within five years and treated like a bigger star than ever.
  • HHH/Steph are here to stay and will be staples on television for not just the next five years, but long after. They won't stay as long as Vince did, but who knows what the state of the company/TV will be 5, 10, 20 years from now?
  • In five years Brock will still be younger than guys like Jericho and Big Show are now. Brock could do 10 more years at this rate and retire as a bigger legend than Taker and the like.
  • By 2020, Orton will be only 40.
  • If he doesn't break down (a big if), Big Show will in five years still be younger than Kane and Taker are now.

I’m always interested in comparing guys by their age, but someone like Kane or R-Truth is more likely to be there in five years than most of the NXT roster. It's more the genetic lottery of whose body holds up best. Flair’s last match was at 63 and he’ll probably have at least one more. HBK retired at 45, Foley at 48, Booker at 47, JBL at 42, Edge at 37. Late-40s seems to be the breaking point even for relatively healthy guys. Here’s the roster, from oldest to youngest:

Sting (56), Undertaker (50), Kane (48), Goldust (46), Triple H (46), The Dudleys (44), Chris Jericho (44), Mark Henry (44), R-Truth (43), The Rock (43), Big Show (43), Christian (41), Brock Lesnar (38), John Cena (38), Sin Cara (38), Titus O’Neil (38), Sheamus (37), Tamina (37), Adam Rose (36), Curtis Axel (35), Darren Young (35), Dolph Ziggler (35), Konnor (35), Luke Harper (35), Randy Orton (35), Wade Barrett (35), Tyson Kidd (35), Rosa Mendes (35), Cesaro (34), Daniel Bryan (34), Fandango (34), Kofi Kingston (34), The Miz (34), Viktor (34), Torito (33), Erick Rowan (33), Fernando (33), Jack Swagger (33), Sandow (33), Ryback (33), Natalya (33), Diego (32), Heath Slater (32), Braun Stowman (31), Kevin Owens (31), The Bellas (31), Summer Rae (31), The Usos (30), Roman Reigns (30), Cody Rhodes (30), Zack Ryder (30), Eva Marie (30), Lana (30), Big E (29), Dean Ambrose (29), Hornswaggle (29), Neville (29), Rusev (29), Seth Rollins (29), Alicia Fox (29), Charlotte (29), Bray Wyatt (28), Kalisto (28), Xavier Woods (28), Becky Lynch (28), Cameron (27), Naomi (27), Emma (26), Bo Dallas (25), Paige (23), Sasha Banks (23).

And NXT: Rhyno (39), Samoa Joe (36), Brian Kendrick (36), Alex Riley (34), Finn Balor (34), Hideo Itami (34), Tye Dillinger (34), Simon Gotch (32), Blue Pants (32), Sami Zayn (31), Sylvester Lefort (31), Baron Corbin (30), Chad Gable (29), Big Cass (29), Mojo Rawley (29), Enzo (28), Apollo Crews (28), Aiden English (27), Blake (27), Bull Dempsey (27), Solomon Crowe (27), Tyler Breeze (27), Carmella (27), Jason Jordan (26), Murphy (26), Bayley (26), Dana Brooke (26), Alexa Bliss (24).

• Of the guys currently over 40, only ones I’d expect to still be working in five years are HHH, maybe Rock, and maybe Jericho. All three in the “one match every 1-3 years” mode. Sting, Taker, Goldust, Kane, Dudleys, Henry, and Truth all retire by 2020. Sting has held up very well, but I would be surprised if he lasts longer than Mania 33 in 2017.
  • For all the talk about how WWE isn’t pushing young talent, look who they are pushing. Reigns, Rollins, Rusev, Ambrose, Wyatt, Becky, Crews, Xavier, and Paige are among the youngest people in the company. They could all be there for 20 more years if they stay healthy. Sasha is literally the youngest worker they have right now, and people are calling her the 2015 MVP who stole the show on Summerslam weekend. It’s a little deceptive to say “The old guys are on top for too long” when the tide seems to be turning.
  • Deceptively old workers: Sin Cara, Titus, Sheamus, Tamina, Adam Rose, Axel, Darren Young, the Ascension. I could see any/all of these guys being gone five years from now. Takeaway from this is that if you’re currently in NXT and you’re over 30 (as Sheamus, Axel, and the PTP were when made the main roster), you may have a shorter future than expected. In particular this applies to Balor, Joe, and KENTA. There’s a very limited window for them to be main eventers. In Balor’s case I think it happens within the next five years. Probably not for Joe or Itami. Zayn is right on the border, but I worry that with his injuries he'll be Danielson part deux and won’t make it to the level he could have achieved if healthier. Balor and Bryan are the same age, which tells you how quickly injuries can change a career, and how being "new" to the company is relative.
  • Deceptively young workers: Sasha, Bo Dallas, Emma, Neville, Xavier Woods, Bray, Rollins, Ambrose, Cody Rhodes, Ryder, Big E, Owens. This strikes me as really good news and an important plus for the company. Many of the hottest acts in WWE are under 30. The caveat being that some of these guys already feel like they’ve been around forever already, but there's still plenty of time for even someone like Cody or Ryder to have a second life higher on the card. It's amazing to realize that Cody has been on the main roster since he was 22. You look at guys like Cody, Kofi, Bray, Dallas, or Rollins and realize that if everything stays as is with the status quo, they could easily have 25 year careers working for the same company the whole time. Undertaker's been there that long already. It seems unprecedented in wrestling. Even guys like Flair or Sting didn't nearly work that amount of time in one place. Or genuine competition comes along in five years and flips the script.
  • Current NXT sensations will have brighter careers than a lot of the mid-30s midcarders currently struggling on the main roster. History books will deem those who came into WWE between 2006-2012 something of a lost generation. Compare the prospects of Sasha, Gable, Jordan, Bliss, Bayley, Enzo/Cass, Carmella, and Breeze (all 24-27) to the Colons, Sandow, Swagger, Ryback, Ziggler, Ascension, Barrett, Rosa, Rose, Tamina (all 33-37). When you look at the mid-30s group, they’re the people who came up 10 years ago at a time when WWE developmental was falling apart, and their careers clearly suffered for it. Guys like Barrett, Sheamus, Ziggler, and Danielson could have been major players as early as 2005, at a time when they could have been presented as equals to Cena and Orton in a "next generation."
  • There are a lot of indie guys who we think of as having been around forever, but are in fact quite young. Jack Evans (33), Roderick Strong (32), Rocky Romero (32), TJ Perkins (30), the Briscoes (29 and 31), Elgin (28), Angelico (28), Rhett Titus (27), Ricochet (26). I could even see the Hardys and AJ Styles getting runs. Have to believe the Briscoes will get at least an NXT deal in the next 2-3 years (if they want it, which has always been the question). Biff Busick is 29, but rumored to be heading for NXT. Not sure how old Thatcher is, but they should sign him regardless. Galloway's only 29 if they want him again. Even Chris Masters is only 32.
  • Pretty much all of the big stars in ROH/PWG/Evolve/TNA are young enough to be signed. The only ones who I'd say are too old would be Angle (46), Daniels (45), Abyss (41), Lashley (39), Ken Anderson (39), Storm (38), Roode (38), maybe Styles (38), Bobby Fish (38), Del Rio (38), Kaz (38), and Aries (37). John Morrison is 35 and I doubt they have any interest. A lot of those guys who seem off the table are where they are due to bad relations with WWE, having the taint of TNA, and being mediocre to begin with.

It's crazy to think Sasha is the second youngest person on the roster while easily being one of the more polished all around acts they have. What's the ceiling on her if she keeps getting better(which I think she will) at 28?

My wishful thinking list is Rusev, Ambrose, Zayn, Sasha, and Reigns as the biggest stars 5 years from now. Cena, Brock, Orton, and maybe Punk could be the part time/ big match crew.

It's crazy to think Sasha is the second youngest person on the roster while easily being one of the more polished all around acts they have. What's the ceiling on her if she keeps getting better(which I think she will) at 28?

I feel like, she's possibly the most complete package since Cena, if that doesn't sound too crazy.

I think Charlotte can get really big eventually, booking would be key for that one though

Enzo & Cass, Chad Gable immediately stand out to me as superstars

New Day could be legendary status already at this point too if kept together. Even if they split, I think Big E and Xavier could have huge futures

Not bothered about trying to figure out what nostalgia acts will still be around, it's all pot luck, and apparently nobody ever really retires so that's anybody's guess.

Along with Busick, Rich Swann has been announced as starting soon in NXT (assuming the two pass the physical). Swann is only 24, despite his hairline being 42. So there's another guy in the Bo Dallas / Jason Jordan camp of seemingly having his whole career ahead of him. Though I do wonder how a guy like Swann - who started training when he was 14 and was working in CZW while still in high school - ends up. Mysterio started when he was 14 too, and can still really go, but his knees are obviously now oatmeal.

It's often said that if you develop good conditioning and training habits at a young age, it can really help your longevity later in life. But I could see the inverse happening and guys breaking down faster if they've taken too many stupid bumps too early in development. It'll be interesting to see if the current twentysomethings - call them "the post-post concussion syndrome era" - end up having much longer, healthier careers than the guys who've been getting dropped on their heads in ROH for ten straight years.

If they could have drawn out the Cena US Open Challenge long enough - say Mania season or so - and then felt comfortable with calling Gable up to the main roster, he could have been a tremendous fit for the guy to dethrone Cena. It'd be a Kurt Angle like push right out of the gate, and that shit's always a gamble, for sure. But he's rapidly looking like a natural in the early stages already.

If they could have drawn out the Cena US Open Challenge long enough - say Mania season or so - and then felt comfortable with calling Gable up to the main roster, he could have been a tremendous fit for the guy to dethrone Cena. It'd be a Kurt Angle like push right out of the gate, and that shit's always a gamble, for sure. But he's rapidly looking like a natural in the early stages already.

I really hate the WWE model of bringing someone in hot putting them in a huge role and then having to drop them down again or even if they don't drop them down you get a Randy Orton situation where he isn't super old but feels like he's been here forever.

They really should start people in opening spots on ppvs or tag teams and build them up. There are very few exceptions of guys (Goldberg, for example) where someone would be hurt from moving up the card over time.

Guys like Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels did it. In more recent years you have Edge who didn't sniff the world title for 6 years upon debuting.

Yeah, Kevin Owens recently debuted in a huge way, but when your first PPV match has you beating Cena clean, there's nowhere to go but down.

It's backwards thinking.

You only have someone debut against John Cena and beat him if you are going to go all in on him. Kevin Owens should had been in the main event of SummerSlam or at least WrestleMania, if not why have him debut so high?

The placement on the card of Owens-Cesaro at Summerslam felt like a "mea culpa" to those two guys, where it was this weird semi-acknowledgment of "these guys should be main eventers or close to it, but we're not doing anything with them so here they are having their blueprint ***1/4 star PPV match in the second to last spot on the show". Plus it kept the women out of that spot. I won't go into the good cop/bad cop Hunter-Vince conspiracy theories, but that felt like an instance of someone wanting to showcase Cesaro and Owens, but doing it in the usual half-assed way.

To Grimmas' point: who on the roster right now is young and fresh enough to organically evolve in that Bret/Shawn kind of way? The guy I keep coming back to is Neville. I'm not even that high on his work, but at 29 he feels like the Bret Hart parallel right now. He's been on the main roster for less than six months. It's almost as if his upside is that they haven't completely ruined him yet. If you got him a good Neidhart, they could be the lead team for a year or two and suddenly Neville feels novel. (Cue "Novel Neville" chants rhythmically clashing with coinciding chants of "Gable Gamble" during their 2018 match at Mania.) Maybe pair him with Tye Dillinger? I actually think a good partner for Neville could be Bull Dempsey, as he wouldn't oversize him but would still work a fat guy bulldozer grappling style that counterbalances Neville's flying. Another option would be Apollo Crews: that's a massively over babyface team right there. Not sure Crews has the promo ability to make up for Neville's lack of it, but their matches and look would get over. There's something about both those guys that people want to cheer, even if I worry that Crews is more Bobby Lashley than Magnum T.A.

The other one who still has huge upside as a heel is Slater. He's young, gets abnormally huge reactions for someone who's never pushed or on TV, and works hard in every role he's given.

Meltzer and Alvarez have been dropping coy hints of late that the main roster tag division is getting renewed focus in the next few months, with the implication being that you're either gonna see top-of-card guys joining forces to go after the belts, or an influx of some of the bigger indie teams coming in.

To Grimmas' point: who on the roster right now is young and fresh enough to organically evolve in that Bret/Shawn kind of way? The guy I keep coming back to is Neville. I'm not even that high on his work, but at 29 he feels like the Bret Hart parallel right now. He's been on the main roster for less than six months. It's almost as if his upside is that they haven't completely ruined him yet. If you got him a good Neidhart, they could be the lead team for a year or two and suddenly Neville feels novel. (Cue "Novel Neville" chants rhythmically clashing with coinciding chants of "Gable Gamble" during their 2018 match at Mania.)

I really feel like Barrett would make a good partner for Neville at the moment. Aside from both being British, Barrett is a brawler to go with Neville's high flier, he's a great promo and, given the way he was written off TV, he'd have a plausible reason to want to side with Neville against the Cosmic Wasteland. Barrett has been a heel for 5 years now, and a face turn would freshen him up, especially as fans wanted to join in with his "I'm afraid I've got some bad news" sctick.