Pro Wrestling Only

RIP Balls Mahoney

ChuckScumm

Not surprising given how bad of shape he's been in for the last few years, but it still sucks. He was one of my favorite ECW guys past the usual names, and that (gimmicked) chairshot on Steve Corino at Hardcore Heaven '99 is still incredibly brutal.

tumblr_mjxymowfi61rg89a6o1_250.gif

RIP to the other Hardcore Chair Swingin' Freak.

Imagine Balls Mahoney as a Wyatt? Would be pretty cool in some alternate universe. I always thought he was a fun promo, but was never into his matches. He was so young. Sad to hear. Storm mentions that he (Storm) is the last one alive from the WrestlePalooza match. The match in question, if anyone wants to watch it:

Lance Storm & Chris Candido vs. Balls Mahoney & Axl Rotten: WrestlePalooza 1998 - ECW World Tag Team Championship Match

He looked like a giant rat lately, so it's not surprising. When you treat your body like that, well... I hate his gimmick which consisted of bashing someone's head as hard as he could with a chair. It was awful and dangerous and certainly caused tons of concussions and brain cells loss. What's even stupider is that the guy could have been a good worker, as showed whenever he tried to actually work. Talented guy ruined by a shitty gimmick and a junkie lifestyle.

He looked like a giant rat lately, so it's not surprising. When you treat your body like that, well... I hate his gimmick which consisted of bashing someone's head as hard as he could with a chair. It was awful and dangerous and certainly caused tons of concussions and brain cells loss. What's even stupider is that the guy could have been a good worker, as showed whenever he tried to actually work. Talented guy ruined by a shitty gimmick and a junkie lifestyle.

For fuck's sake. Can't you wait til the body's cold? What's wrong with you?

Mahoney, from the gimmick to the lifestyle, was everything wrong about pro-wrestling in the late 90's. Candido dying in the most stupid way after coming back from hell was heartbreaking. Mahoney is just sadly predictable. That's all I'm saying, really. Sorry if it rubs you the wrong way.

We don't know the cause of death yet. Hold fire.

We don't know the cause of death yet. Hold fire.

My bad then. Although he looked in such a poor physical shape lately. He was only four years older than me ? Holy shit.

I remember a really fun match between Balls Mahoney and RVD during the ECW on TNN era. Since I've never been a fan of RVD's style, I have to give Balls some of the credit for that.

Another wrestling death. Another wrestler gone too soon. *Sigh* :(

I remember a really fun match between Balls Mahoney and RVD during the ECW on TNN era. Since I've never been a fan of RVD's style, I have to give Balls some of the credit for that.

Yeah, that's my whole point about how he made all the wrong choices. Balls could work. Hell, he had fun matches with Matt striker on WWECW. He could do comedy too. the whole chairshot was so dangerous and needless.

I liked a lot of what Ballz did in the ring. In fact I think he was actively good in 1997 before he picked up the chair gimmick. I have a very fond memory of an episode of ECW Hardcore TV where everyone in the locker room was scared to fight him, so he enticed the Sandman into a match where the winner gets to drink a six pack.

Didn't care for the Chair Swinging Freaks team, but the matches Ballz and Spike had against the Dudleys are some of the best brawls in ECW history. 6/17/99 in particular stands out.

I also really liked his matches with Tanaka in 98, 99, and 00.

RIP

Sad to hear. One day after his birthday. Always liked his match with RVD from Anarchy Rulz 99. Enjoyed that he got that brief WWE run too, fun ONS match with Tanaka.

I saw that match in person and I've always been biased towards it. Good match that wasn't even advertised as it was supposed to be Johnny Smith vs RVD originally.

RIP Balls Mahoney

ECW was probably my favorite thing ever in wrestling. It has basically destroyed everyone involved with it. I have difficulty reconciling these two things.

I listen to extreme metal and punk. You become numb to it and learn to appreciate the "in the moment" urgency of it all.