Pro Wrestling Only

Wrestling thoughts that probably don't deserve

Coffey

Guest Dangerous A

He gets credit for coming up with the name. However, the move itself had been executed before Roberts was doing it by Tiger Mask and a wrestler from the Texas territory who's name escapes me right now. I can buy Jake not having seen Tiger Mask, but the Texas guy he saw because Jake was growing up and watching Texas wrestling at the time of this guy who was doing the DDT as his finisher.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bossman was way better than he gets credit for, especially after he dropped a lot of weight.

Alas, he was a big guy and conventional wisdom says Big Guys Can't Work so pointing out someone like Bossman would probably get you laughed at in most places.

Guest Some Guy

Sadly, he was one of the few who were actually excelling on Raw.  Bischoff was much better on-air in WWE then he was in WCW.  I actively hated watching him in WCW.  I would change the channel when he came on, in WWE I enjoyed him for the most part.

I feel the complete opposite. Bischoff was just a watered down Vince in the WWF, playing a dull "heel commish that the faces rebel against for cheap heat" role that could have been played well by anyone. He never said or did anything memorable in that role. In WCW, however, he was always entertaining as an arrogant asshole who would come out with a shit-eating smile and declare "I love each and every one of you!" while pointing at and looking into the camera. The WWF killed his character. And although the pay-off was silly, I enjoyed his "challenging Vince Mcmahon to a match" angle. He did some very cool nWo promos too.
I thought Bisch played "watered down Vince" better than Vince plays Vince in WWE. I found his character in WCW to be Stephanie McMahon level annoying.

Guest savagerulz

Just to see re-enacted scenes on the Jake DVD...so freakin' weird. They really broke new ground with how the Jake Roberts DVD was done. Not saying it was great, but it was something original, that's for sure...just like that crazy fucker himself.

Bossman was way better than he gets credit for, especially after he dropped a lot of weight.

Alas, he was a big guy and conventional wisdom says Big Guys Can't Work so pointing out someone like Bossman would probably get you laughed at in most places.

Actually I think Bossman got worse as he dropped the weight. Just my opinion though.

I was laying in bed trying to fall asleep when I randomly started thinking about Dino Bravo. He always struck me as someone that could've been something big had he not died so premature and then I realized how little of his work I've actually seen.

So, y'all recommend me some Dino Bravo matches to seek out. :)

Guest savagerulz

Apparently an incident involving The Undertaker and Bob Orton has been the talk of the locker room recently.

The PWTorch newsletter reports that The Undertaker recently threw a fit backstage when he found out that WWE officials apparently had knowledge that, as a teenager, Bob Orton had hepatitis and was told to bleed with Undertaker in the ring. Hepatitis apparently remains contagious for life.

Guest TheShawshankRudotion

You'd think someone with all those Tattoos wouldn't be such a bitch about getting Hepatatis. Pissy Bitch.

Hey, is it wrong for me to feel validated when I said that -when criticizing the Rey/Eddie feud in the summer- that Eddie and Rey would be friends and "like brothers" by 2006 which made the entire feud pointless, and now Rey is dedicating his performances to Eddie and whatnot? Sure, Eddies dead, but I was so fucking on the money.

Guest EastCoastJ

While watching old Mid South tapes it occurred to me A) How many senior citizens you used to see in the crowd who were as into it as the kids B) How that segment of the population has completed stopped caring about wrestling and going to events. It's a little sad.

Guest Famous Mortimer

While watching old Mid South tapes it occurred to me A) How many senior citizens you used to see in the crowd who were as into it as the kids B) How that segment of the population has completed stopped caring about wrestling and going to events. It's a little sad.

Never mind not deserving its own thread, this comment deserves its own book. The worst thing to happen to wrestling in decades.

Well, wrestling no longer appeals to that demographic. Vince has made wrestling look, well, it's not even wrestling anymore. It don't matter if you're a wrestling fan anymore. It used to be, if you watched wrestling, you were young, a redneck, something along those lines. Now if you watch wrestling, people will just straight up call you an idiot.

There isn't a Dusty Rhodes or someone like that anymore that can appeal to a different generation of fan. We're still reeling from the Attitude Era. What's left right now is a bunch of die-hard fans, a couple new fans (random little kids that are into the "Chain Gang" and shit) and then some people that got picked up by DX, Austin, Rock, etc. that haven't abandoned ship yet.

At the live shows, you get kids that are fans and their parents. Sometimes you get a teenager or young adult that's a fan and he brings his wife/girlfriend with him. The smarky crowds are few and far between but they're there too.

Wrestling has fallen a long way since Austin 3:16 & NWO Wolfpack shirts were sold in the mall.

I watched the Akebono tag match from the most recent NOAH show, and I thought he was pretty good for a superheavyweight. Everyone seems to be pretty down on him but I thought he was alright for someone who's basically the real Yokozuna (literally and gimmick wise).

Hey, is it wrong for me to feel validated when I said that -when criticizing the Rey/Eddie feud in the summer- that Eddie and Rey would be friends and "like brothers" by 2006 which made the entire feud pointless, and now Rey is dedicating his performances to Eddie and whatnot? Sure, Eddies dead, but I was so fucking on the money.

You were correct, but under different circumstances. If you were predicting Rey and Eddie would be "like brothers" by 2006, I think that's accountable to Eddie really not working as a heel except in THAT storyline and thus, a face turn (again) was expected. What happened, of course, was a different story.

Guest Spaceman Spiff

Fun 15+ minute tag match on Velocity this week between Kash/Knoble and London/Spanky. Don't understand why these guys don't get time on the main show.