Pro Wrestling Only

Netflix creating a comedy series based on G.L.O.W.

goc

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/glow-netflix-series-female-wrestling-league-1201785407/

Netflix has greenlit “G.L.O.W.,” a comedy series based on the 1980’s female wrestling league, which will be exec produced by Jenji Kohan, Variety has learned.

Founded in the mid-’80s, G.L.O.W. — which stands for Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling — was a popular professional wrestling troupe on a self-titled show that ran until 1990, and also toured for live shows.

I know there are some G.L.O.W. fans on the board so I figured this was worth creating a topic about. I'm interested in it even though I never cared about GLOW just because I think a comedy series about wrestling has a lot of potential.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm not familiar with G.L.O.W., and that means not at all. But I'm definitely gonna watch this. Not only becaus it's wrestling and I'm gonna watch it anyway, but also to see how the handle the subject.

I hop this is a good sign for things to come for wrestling and the general acceptance/sight on it.

I highly doubt it'll ever make the air. Pro wrestling pokes fun at itself so much as it is. And WWE has employed Hollywood Screen Writers for years so it will just be the same jokes.

Has Netflix ever announced a show that never made it?

• 2 months later...

Alison Brie is fantastic. She seems to have a GREAT sense of humor. And it doesn't hurt that she's hotter than a fox in wool socks either.

Thought she totally stole the show from the two headliners in Get Hard. Her role in something like The Five Year Engagement is much more understated, but she still finds a way to stand out. If it weren't for her and Chris Pratt, that thing would've died a slow & plodding death.

On the surface, Brie should be a great fit for Kohan's style. Her character from Bojack Horseman or even Sleeping With Other People feels right at home with Kohan's other lead protagonists.

Another board is ripping this apart which is so telling of a negativity I absolutely hate about certain boards and their willingness to try and tear something down before they have even seen it (hell, before it's even been made).Bitter, bitter stuff.

I'm all for any new wrestling programme / content. If it isn't good I simply won't watch. But I go into everything with open eyes and ears looking to enjoy it. I think it makes me a far less pessimistic and bitter being.

So, there are dudes(I'm assuming they are dudes, just like 90% of every other wrestling message board) are complaining about watching Alison Brie in a wrestling outfit? Look, I don't know if this show is going to be great or horrible, but if I know that fine assed Alison Brie is going to be the star, I'm willing to at least give it a shot. It is a Netflix show, which takes absolutely zero investment. You literally can't watch a Netflix show unless you choose to watch it, what exactly is there to complain about. There is absolutely no way for anyone to know whether or not this show is going to be good or bad at this point, but Alison Brie has been good in everything I've ever seen her in and that is before she got into a wrestling outfit.

Another board is ripping this apart which is so telling of a negativity I absolutely hate about certain boards and their willingness to try and tear something down before they have even seen it (hell, before it's even been made).Bitter, bitter stuff.

I'm all for any new wrestling programme / content. If it isn't good I simply won't watch. But I go into everything with open eyes and ears looking to enjoy it. I think it makes me a far less pessimistic and bitter being.

Of course they are negative, it's a freaking comedy show about wrestling. For one thing wrestling is super serious and there should never be any comedy related to it whatsoever. Also, it's not even going to have matches and the only reason that any wrestling programming should exist is to give us 5 star matches.